Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26

Author Topic: Women In The Infantry  (Read 22848 times)

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Women In The Infantry
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2011, 10:15:35 pm »

Posting to watch.

Incidentally, I think this is a good thing, so long as the army gets off its ass about the rape issues.  I've read elsewhere that women in the US army are more likely to be raped by fellow soldiers than to be killed in combat >_>
Sadly, I agree.  I wish i didnt have to.  Not a bright spot for the Army.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2011, 10:17:09 pm »

Also, I read a book about this woman as a little girl.
Thats interesting..
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2011, 10:18:11 pm »

Man, cutting into limited sleep time on my limited R&R to talk about this kinda stuff. Oh well.

My base in Iraq is all male, when I first got there, there were a few female cooks. Because of the presence of females (it's a army tendency to refer to women only a females for some reason), we had to take steps for gender segregation. That means that one or both of the shower trailers was closed to men some of the time (I never actually found out when, it was really confusing and had about five different interpretations).  There had to be a designated female tent, and because of a designated female tent, there had to be a protocol involved if a male wanted to get inside (which required getting a specific person, which then required another protocol for finding said person). Until we're accepting enough to have Star ship Troopers style shared facilities, it means that there's a lot of extra stuff to have put in. In a big base (like a COB), this isn't a big deal, but in a small facility (patrol bases or small forward operating base) it can get to be a hassle. Combat Arms types are in small facilities a lot and we don't really want to deal with it.

Secondly, females can get to be damaging for morale. Guys are guys, and while the vast majority of guys I serve with are upright, upstanding people, remember that a lot of us are teenage/young men -> idiots. Moreso, we're away from home for a heckuva long time when we're deployed (even for a loner with a tendency to wander like me, it gets bad after awhile, and I consider my home to be these damn boards as much as I do Fargo). This doesn't just apply to privates like me. It's a saying that more E-9 and O-5 careers have been ruined by a female E-4 than anything else.

In rear echelon type jobs, these things aren't that big of a deal, but when it's a combat arms job, I know that I don't want to deal with this kind of problem. Infantry and Armor aren't hurting for people right now, why deal with the problem? Fuck political correctness.

As a tanker, all of my drill sergeants were male, but there was this one female drill sergeant (I'd assume it was for general basic) who *hated* us. She'd make it her fucking mission to chase down our company whenever we got a four hour pass and try to ruin it. It was an especially awesome day when DS Grider (after she accused us of "running to the px and going past the people in line for haircut" both the standard operating procedure. We ran everywhere, and no one was getting a haircut) gave us a long speech about the difference between a good NCO and a bad one. Then he finished by telling us all that we were going to take shit like that, because we're 19kilos, super-soldiers who have to be able to do any job, even take shit from a female DS who didn't have a clue (his terminology was different, but I've changed it. Sue me).

Posting to watch.

Incidentally, I think this is a good thing, so long as the army gets off its ass about the rape issues.  I've read elsewhere that women in the US army are more likely to be raped by fellow soldiers than to be killed in combat >_>

I have taken about ten goddamn hours of classes about that. The Army is very-much off it's ass about it. Like most of the problems that the army faces, I think that my guiding principle of "don't get totally off my feet drunk" solves about 99% of them (and we try to keep females inside the wire as much as possible).

Didn't Betsy Ross sew the flag? That's not exactly combat-arms type work . . .

9 new replies? Do I have to start posting a sentence at a time again!?

Even the avatars expire eventually.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2011, 10:20:40 pm »

Secondly, females can get to be damaging for morale. Guys are guys, and while the vast majority of guys I serve with are upright, upstanding people, remember that a lot of us are teenage/young men

Actually a lot of other institutions share the view that you wouldn't think so. such as Space Agencies (most of them) when it comes to long term flights.

I believe they officially stated that when/if they actually make a manned voyage to mars... there would be absolutely no women (though it was more that. They didn't want a co-op mission. Either all men or all women)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 10:23:27 pm by Neonivek »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2011, 10:22:44 pm »

Posting to watch.

It's definately a problem.

A group of servicewomen have filed a lawsuit on the subject, which you can read here. (I warn you, the records of these events are some of the most enraging, horrific things I've ever encountered. You read this lawsuit at your own risk.)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2011, 10:24:52 pm »

Posting to watch.

It's definately a problem.

A group of servicewomen have filed a lawsuit on the subject, which you can read here. (I warn you, the records of these events are some of the most enraging, horrific things I've ever encountered. You read this lawsuit at your own risk.)
*Ochita has gone berserk. Extremely berserk.
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2011, 10:27:47 pm »

Indeed, keeping people of the opposite sex close to each other is a bad idea.

On a related note, Several snipers on the WWII Eastern front were Russian Women.
Hello Hunam

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2011, 10:28:41 pm »

I have taken about ten goddamn hours of classes about that. The Army is very-much off it's ass about it. Like most of the problems that the army faces, I think that my guiding principle of "don't get totally off my feet drunk" solves about 99% of them (and we try to keep females inside the wire as much as possible).

Just saying, man, that's a good start but I don't know that it's necessarily going to fix the problem.  I don't know how to fix the problem, either, but I don't know how much courses are going to fix.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2011, 10:29:06 pm »

Posting to watch.

To be Fair, there have been 4400 or so Casualties in Iraq and 50000 or so deployed right now, giving an approximate ( And bullshit) ratio of 1 Death per 10 Soldiers. Taking out all context with the military being better disciplined then the outside world, there's no wonder that's less then the 1/6 that I've heard being thrown around.

Not saying anything really (In light of Last four post's, I'm really not saying anything), I just wanted to point out that with statistics you can claim basically anything.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2011, 10:30:39 pm »

To be Fair, there have been 4400 or so Casualties in Iraq and 50000 or so deployed right now, giving an approximate ( And bullshit) ratio of 1 Death per 10 Soldiers. Taking out all context with the military being better disciplined then the outside world, there's no wonder that's less then the 1/6 that I've heard being thrown around.

Not saying anything really (In light of Last four post's, I'm really not saying anything), I just wanted to point out that with statistics you can claim basically anything.

Nah, I totally understand that.  It's not a super-significant statistic, as it would be in a war of attrition or somesuch.  It's still kind of scary, though.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2011, 10:34:52 pm »

Katrina Hodge.  http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/newsbeat/newsid_8481000/8481693.stm

the link is a fluff peice, but if you search around, you can find excerpts from her book about being in Iraq and facing beating down a prisoner armed with a knife after the transport truck she was in with him got hit with an IED and rolled over, killing and crippling most of the occupants.

Indeed, keeping people of the opposite sex close to each other is a bad idea.

On a related note, Several snipers on the WWII Eastern front were Russian Women.
Indeed, I believe the most kills sniper record is still held by a Russian women from WW2.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2011, 10:36:20 pm »

Just to show you, women can do pretty much anything that a man can do.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2011, 10:37:49 pm »

Just saying, man, that's a good start but I don't know that it's necessarily going to fix the problem.  I don't know how to fix the problem, either, but I don't know how much courses are going to fix.

Yeah, the common consensus was that it wasn't going to change anything, but the wiser heads of the occifer class aren't doing nothing about it. I don't hear much about it now that I'm in a single-sex combat unit, but the rumor went around that our old medic got caught doing something along those lines. Never saw the guy again (we got a new medic right quick though, and that was back before our deployment).

Gorjo: No. The most sniper kills is easily by Simmo. He had multiple hundreds.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2011, 10:40:18 pm »

Why won't you give us your view on the subject, instead of making another one of those sterile, directionless threads of yours, and then complaining that it doesn't discuss what you'd like it to discuss.
I'm pretty sure we won't get mad at you.

I am very against women in the military at all. If I had my way, all lads would be patriotic enough to believe they should serve.

Now I am also of the belief that women are indeed the weaker sex and are to be both treated and respected as such. But I also have to agree with Strife26 that when it comes to the military political correctness needs to be thrown out the window.

If women are to serve, how many do you think could keep up with the men? How many do you think would be able to pass special forces training such as the Navy SEALs program or the Green Berets? How many Muslim extremists will surrender to women? How many women will be targeted by snipers because they know that men will come racing toward the injured woman?

The IDF took on an experiment to see whether women would be able to fight along men and vice versa. The men would disobey direct orders to save the women, endangering themselves and others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_military#Tactical_concerns

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2011, 10:43:47 pm »

If women are to serve, how many do you think could keep up with the men? How many do you think would be able to pass special forces training such as the Navy SEALs program or the Green Berets? How many Muslim extremists will surrender to women? How many women will be targeted by snipers because they know that men will come racing toward the injured woman?

Okay, so that covers direct infantry units, now the rest of the
at all
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26