Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26

Author Topic: Women In The Infantry  (Read 22877 times)

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Women In The Infantry
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 09:28:52 pm »

What I'm about to say is going to get me booed off stage:

Can anyone name a few lady war heroes?

I was in military school and two of my sergeants were female.

I'm not lying when I say that they were more brutal than our two male Marine drill sergeants.

Really, I'm not sure why you would even bring this up...
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 09:32:04 pm »

The only real argument I can see is facing foes that wouldn't take well to female soldiers, especially in a guerrilla war where having good relations with the locals is necessary and conflicting ideals on feminism could hurt the PR over there.

Refuted by:
 1. Their job is to go into hostile regions. Risk is an ever present thing for a soldier, and understanding that they likely would face terrible torture if captured is something they would understand and accept as it's part of their job.

2. Military commanders should know better than to station such units in areas where maintaining good relations with the locals could be compromised by their sex. Place them in more active combat roles where they are not involved in dealing with locals with anti-feminist ideals or station them in places where it wouldn't be as huge of an issue.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 09:33:47 pm »

Your kidding right? Even a very short run to Wikipedia nets a huge number of names.

Saint Genevieve
Hind al-Hunnud
Nusaybah Bint k’ab Al Maziniyyah
Pingyang
Khaula
Kahina
Parsbit
Veborg
Ethelfleda
Queen Thyra
Sichelgaita
Matilda of Tuscany
Akkadevi
Urraca of Zamora
Emma de Guader

I stopped after four hundred years, but that is just early medieval times.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2011, 09:37:17 pm »

http://listverse.com/2008/03/17/top-10-badass-female-warriors/ all of these despite some perhaps not taking part in wars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen obviously she was the most vital piece of the war, and its eventual hero
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Françoise_de_Cezelli
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hassiba_Ben_Bouali

Criptfiend obviously got a lot but there are so many and many more that I didn't even see any of his (though I only just started searching).

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 09:38:24 pm »

I think its perfectly reasonable for women to enter combat.  But I also beleive they should be able to meet the same physical requirements as men to do so.  Not because I am sexist, but because the battle field doesnt care what sex you are and the skills required for victory are the skills required for victory.

I hope that made sense.

Women in supporting combat roles is fine.  Many women have allready aquitted themselves with honor on the modern battlefield wearing the US uniform (i say that cuz its the only pool of facts I am familiar with) because a fluid battle moved and they got caught up in it.  I think women should be flying combat jets and attack helicopters if they can withstand the g-forces that routinely accompany those jobs.

Also, I have some great stories about my female Company Commander in the US Army back in 1993.  She was the daughter of a very very powerful military man and tried harder than others to prove herself.  I think soldiers like Coughdrops sergeants are dealing with common societal forces and have a natural reaction to push back harder.  It shouldnt be, but I think it is.

Lastly.  Go Army!   8)
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 09:51:25 pm »

Eh, I'm no fan of women in combat arms. It'll happen, but it leads to *all* kinds of morale and logistics problems that I don't want to be around when they get dealt with.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2011, 09:58:03 pm »

Eh, I'm no fan of women in combat arms. It'll happen, but it leads to *all* kinds of morale and logistics problems that I don't want to be around when they get dealt with.
Well, in the US, the logistics are allready there.  Morale is something we will have to wait and see on.  I heard the Isreali;s tried allowing women in combat but it failed because the men wouldnt leave fallen female bodies and became to distraught to be mission capable, but I dont know if its true since I heard it on a political news show back in the 90's (I think) when the last time this issues came up.  Can anyone verify/debunk this?  The wiki mentions esprit de corp problems but no evidence.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 09:58:59 pm »

Well, it seems women may be appearing in US infantry units. What's your take?

Now, I have made a thread similar to this, (about feminism, specifically), and we ended up with a circumcision thread, please don't do that. And please, if someone gives their view on the subject, don't get mad, its the internet.
Why won't you give us your view on the subject, instead of making another one of those sterile, directionless threads of yours, and then complaining that it doesn't discuss what you'd like it to discuss.
I'm pretty sure we won't get mad at you.

I am curious, what problems exactly would these be? I've never experienced the army life, never seen the army machine from up close, so I just don't know.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2011, 10:02:31 pm »

I'm pretty sure we won't get mad at you.

Wrongo, I am already gearing up to get mad at him.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2011, 10:03:51 pm »

This list contains many female war heroes, if you want more examples.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2011, 10:04:17 pm »

Anyone who is able to do a job and applies to do a job should be allowed to do that job. There's no reason to make an exception to that with soldiers.

Incidentally, my US History teacher told my class about her grandmother, who was a drill sergeant in WWII. Supposidly she was terrifying to behold while in dill sergeant mode.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2011, 10:08:22 pm »

Posting to watch.

Incidentally, I think this is a good thing, so long as the army gets off its ass about the rape issues.  I've read elsewhere that women in the US army are more likely to be raped by fellow soldiers than to be killed in combat >_>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2011, 10:10:02 pm »

Wrongo, I am already gearing up to get mad at him.
No you won't. You'll use your fantastic powers of calm, reasonable discourse and persuasive logic to show him the error of his ways, if needed be.
Am I right? I am right.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2011, 10:10:47 pm »

Betsy Ross
Joan of Arc

A few others wandering around in my head that I can't bring to the surface of my mind right now.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2011, 10:13:23 pm »

Also, I read a book about this woman as a little girl.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26