Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarfrassic Park (Resigning Jurrasic Park to Increase Dwarfiness)  (Read 2605 times)

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile

Right, this is my first forum game, so it may suck:

The premise of this game is that that you, my fellow dwarves, are in charge of redesigning the defenses of Jurassic park to preclude the stupid shit that happened in it last time. You have been given a near-infinite amount of money to fund this redesign, and, of course, you have access to Dwarven builders so that you can take advantage of their ability to utterly ruin physics.

The origin is actually a conversation with a friend of mine, in which we at one point decided that the main fault of the failure of Jurrassic park was stupidity on the person hired to build its defenses, namely the need to turn off all of the gates to get at the DNA.

Each round, we will focus on a specific topic, and you will provide ideas as to what defense or defenses are put in place. For example, one round may be automated defenses, another may be walls, and so on.

Once someone else posts here, I'll put up the first topic.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfrassic Park (Resigning Jurrasic Park to Increase Dwarfiness)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 09:17:37 pm »

So the directive is to make something safer...? Safer is ultimately boring in a game. NEED CONFLICT. (which is why, even though it didn't make much sense that they would be so careless, something had to go wrong in the movie to create CONFLICT)
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 09:22:44 pm »

Yes, I am aware that there is a reasonable excuse for their mistakes.

And not really safer, just eliminating the specific stupidities that caused the problems (For example, one of the features discussed was blowing the cages to kingdom come in the event of a breach, which isn't very safe, but it makes DAMN sure that the 'saurs won't escape.

Mostly the point is to create utterly insane ways to solve minor problems that arise with the...

Right, I changed my mind on how this is going to work. I'm going to post a problem, and you guys vote on some way to fix it. The more insane the better.
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

elitetaco3519

• Bay Watcher
  • The savior of Orzammar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 09:32:19 pm »

Ok #1 fire the fatass named dennis, feed him the the T-rex say he "slipped" on a 40 foot wall
"...my word is poontang." Full Metal Jacket

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 09:39:04 pm »

Dennis Nedry is no longer with the project, as he was killed during the incident in with the original park.

elitetaco3519

• Bay Watcher
  • The savior of Orzammar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 09:40:48 pm »

ok then, install the failsafe programed named "THE LEVER" in case anything goes wrong. The magma will solve all!
"...my word is poontang." Full Metal Jacket

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 09:50:44 pm »

... The project hasn't started yet. Right then:

ROUND ONE:
The fences have proven insufficient to contain the dinosaurs in the event of a power outage. We are currently looking into multiple methods of secondary containment procedures and countermeasures, but are unable to come up with any which pass our expectations. What are your thoughts on the matter?

- Provide methods of recapture or containment to be used ON TOP OF the electric fences to be used in the event of dinosaur escape.
- These defenses must not compromise the safety of park guests.
- These defenses must be possible with either real-world or Dwarven Physics.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 09:57:40 pm »

10 armored trucks (I've seen pmc's running around with them, so they exist) with machine guns firing 7.62 nato, with five M2's available for mounting in case of an emergency. All staff are cross trained in security, with designated security staff pulled from nato militaries (who all interact with guests, besides just sitting around).

Park is organize in sections, separated by walls (10 ft, reinforced concrete) and trenches (6x3 feet, both sides of wall). Access points at gate-bridges that run from a separate power grid (park uses three power grids, one for fences, one for guest utilities, and one for crucial infrastructure like the gates). Additionally, every gate has it's own generator to raise itself if need be.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 10:04:16 pm »

Real world physics and unlimited money... Too easy.

First, design shock collars, capable of shocks going from mild to instant death. Also install tranquilizers on each collar.
Make personalized collars for each dinosaur.

Design some bunkers for housing units and make viewing glass HEAVYYYY. Like 4 feet of the hardest glass. Place viewing cameras, both for entertainment for the guests and security viewing.

Higher two main branches of staff; executive and military. Military is for security and overall dependability, executive are the bigwig assholes that do everything else.

All systems to be viewed at all times, if funding goes under, terminate the dinos, as we can always bring them back again with our supply of DNA.

Take no chances.

Do I win?
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 10:09:22 pm »

The wall idea is acceptable, but you forget the price tag associated with cloning the dinosaurs, as well as the time it takes for them to mature. Remember that recapture is infinitely preferred to termination in case of a breach, and that with your suggestion, we have no nonlethal alternative.

Chough, we would prefer to spend as little money as possible, and though your plan has merit, it is much more expensive than alternative methods which would work only slightly less effectively.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 10:12:35 pm »

As little money as possible?
What are we aiming for on the spectrum between safe and cheap?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 10:13:07 pm »

Yeah, this needs a bit more structure to be interesting.

Also... they didn't have to shut off the gates to access the DNA. Dennis needed to shut off the gates to get out without being noticed.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 10:14:38 pm »

As I said, this is my first Forum game, so I don't know much about running them yet, and am open to suggestions on how to improve it.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 10:16:09 pm »

Give a set amount of money to spend and some basic sources from which to buy. Make up your own stuff if need be. Make players feel like they are actually interacting and changing the world around them. Your world.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 10:22:47 pm »

Collars like that are greatly liable to get jammed if someone is going to actively target the facility, LCS-style.

The guns are for the breakout type scenario, ideally the bad scenario would have everything go on lockdown, followed by a rescue of any stranded guests (possibly having an access ladder into the gatehouses). Then, reclaiming the dinos could be done bit by bit, probably via electricity (because tranqs and reptiles don't mix well irl).
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: [1] 2 3