Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave-ins, mining, eating, and starvation  (Read 397 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cave-ins, mining, eating, and starvation
« on: October 22, 2006, 02:28:00 pm »

This is from 0.22.107.21a, but no changes listed seem likely to affect it, so I'll go ahead and report it.

After a cave-in cut off the dining room from the food store, dwarves who had been in the process of taking food to sit down and eat it starved to death while outputing can't-find-path messages.

In greater detail: I miscalculated the size of a storage room, and so it had a cave-in. It was food storage. The cave-in bloacked the only door. Both of my miners happened to be in the room getting food at the time. When I saw that neither of them had been hit by the cave-in, I immediately concluded that they (and I) had gotten extremely lucky. Alas, it was not so. This miners (and another poor sot who happened to be trapped with them) were not miners first; no, above all, they were well brought up, polite dwarves who wouldn't eat except when properly seated at a table. Which was on the other side of the cave-in. So, rather than being uncouth and eating on the spot, or being whimiscal and setting eating aside long enough to clear the door, they stoically sat down to die with their picks in one hand and food in the other. I did try setting one to woodcutter to make him drop his axe so that the non-miner (who had been hauling, not eating) trapped with them could retrieve it and clear the door, but he was not a miner by trade and quickly became famished, before he could even clear the single pile of rubble before the door; he then joined his brethren in calmly awaiting death... (I probably should have had the untrapped dwarves take apart the dining room; might that have inspired the miners to eat on the spot?)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Cave-ins, mining, eating, and starvation
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 10:36:00 pm »

This probably has the same root cause as the recently freed dwarves that stand around and do nothing.  The eat/drink/sleep jobs don't seem very resilient.  It'll be straightforward but somewhat annoying to clean it up.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
Re: Cave-ins, mining, eating, and starvation
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 04:25:00 pm »

My favorite ones are the trappers who lie down to take a nap in the wild countryside.
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA