Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Choosing a baron - What can I count out?  (Read 1024 times)

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Choosing a baron - What can I count out?
« on: April 10, 2011, 10:40:33 am »

Amazingly, it hasn't glitched. The traders had JUST started to unpack when I got the offer, I accepted, realised I had no idea who liked what, and then quit.

I'm now looking through the 180 dwarves I have and tin/bronze/adamantine is all out, but the rest I'm not so sure about, those that like strange leather or bones are iffy, will they ask for items made of it or just say I can't export it? I found some that LOVE chalk and iron, two things my fort is full of... but they like Rutherer leather and the likes... does what ever is first tend to come up more or what?
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Choosing a baron - What can I count out?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 11:09:37 am »

I've picked from about 180, to 8, and now it's down to 3. The problem is that while their "Tastes" are ok their actual tastes are horrible, they all like food I've never even heard of. And they all seem to have a jem they all like, all from different layers, I've picked ones I know I can find but I'm still having a little trouble picking... To list them:

Choice one, a legendary mason :- tetrahedrite, copper, goshenite, pig tail fiber fabric, crossbows, slabs, crowns and rabbits. Likes to eat floating guts, sewer brew and prickle berry seeds. She seems ok, aside from floating guts, the ore and metal go hand in hand and sewer brew seems ok, I have rat weed.

Choice two, a furnace operator :- magnetite, silver, ruby, rabbit leather, pig tail fiber fabric, bolts, leggings and blue peafowls. Eats giant grouper and bumblebee mead.
Now that I think about it, this guy is pretty crap.

Choice three, a doctor :- gypsum plaster, nickel, bandfire opal, short swords, cats, eats guttor crour.
They're also kinda crap, but a lot smaller.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 11:18:20 am »

They will mandate odd leather and bone items, if they like them.  Your dwarf who likes Rabbit Leather may mandate the production of rabbit leather items, which appear to be impossible to make at the moment since rabbits are too small to leave anything but a skull.

What kind of food they like you don't need to worry about.  They don't base mandates off of food preferences, just material preferences.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 11:19:30 am »

I figured there would be a problem with the rabbit leather.

My mason it is then! I just hope I can find some goshenite!

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 11:20:56 am »

I'd go with the legendary mason. Make her a crown, fill his room with the graves (Memorial slabs) of every fallen dwarf, and breed some rabbits. She'll just have to live without the floating guts. No reason to send your military dwarves who are busy defending out to spend days killing esentially a punching bag so that the baroness can have lunch.

EDIT: Oh, you already chose... Allrighty then, never mind.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 11:27:43 am »

The moment my dilema is fixed I get an artifact depicting my mason when they created THEIR artifact...along with some goblin called Ruthlessfailure.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 12:27:25 pm »

Wait, a dwarf just carved something into his artifact that literally just happened?

Huh, I guess he's an engraver. It's the beards, you know.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 12:37:57 pm »

Wait, a dwarf just carved something into his artifact that literally just happened?

Huh, I guess he's an engraver. It's the beards, you know.

No no, it was a metal animal trap made my some blacksmith, but on it was an image of my mason holding up a bad ass coffin.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 05:33:25 am »

Definitely not the first one. Crowns is something he will demand to be produced, and you can only order "crafts", not the specifics.

I like the second one, but there may be the risk that he wants magnetite items to be constructed. I doubt that smelting magnetite counts as making an item out of it.

My dislike against the third is personal. I hate dwarves that want nickel items. I had several of these in my noble squad in 40d, when I still bothered about actually submitting myself and my dwarves to whatever moronic demands and mandates the noblesse came up with.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 05:39:02 am »

I have over two hundred dwarves, I doubt crowns will be a problem... I have plenty of magnetite but they want the impossible, rabbit leather.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 09:25:04 am »

I have over two hundred dwarves, I doubt crowns will be a problem... I have plenty of magnetite but they want the impossible, rabbit leather.
You should be able to import rabbit leather. I know you can import fluffy wambler fluff (might need a mod to use good animals), and they are vermin!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 11:43:06 am »

I like the second one, but there may be the risk that he wants magnetite items to be constructed. I doubt that smelting magnetite counts as making an item out of it.

Should the situation ever arise, you can let your mason to build furniture (statues, etc.) out of raw magnetite by marking the stone as usable in the Z -> Stone menu.  Use dumping or burrows or whatever to get the stone, the workshop, and the mason all into proximity, since you can't ask for a magnetite statue specifically.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 11:46:03 am »

Should the situation ever arise, you can let your mason to build furniture (statues, etc.) out of raw magnetite by marking the stone as usable in the Z -> Stone menu.  Use dumping or burrows or whatever to get the stone, the workshop, and the mason all into proximity, since you can't ask for a magnetite statue specifically.

Also remember that making mugs makes three items out of one stone, so if you have a craftsdwarf make magnetite mugs, you'll satisfy 'Make Magnetite Items 3/3' with one magnetite stone.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 12:35:57 pm »

Nobles will never issue mandates for items made of stone or gems.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.