Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lost in a cave  (Read 1176 times)

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
lost in a cave
« on: April 10, 2011, 08:53:15 am »

i decided to go explore my first cavern with my companions, pretty nice, some fun monsters bt then i realized that im totally lost and can't find the exit, what to do?

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: lost in a cave
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 09:41:41 am »

Supposedly if you navigate to underneath a site like a town you can quick travel, magically ending up on the surface. Never tried it myself, always been careful in caves.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 10:10:21 am »

is possible to go to hell from caves?

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 10:23:36 am »

If you find a clown chute. :P
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 05:13:12 pm »

If you find a clown chute. :P
what's that?

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 01:06:38 am »

one long downward adamantine shaft with open space on one side and regular floor on the other allternating.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 01:10:37 am »

Or if you find the big top. The big top is guarded by zombies.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 02:49:38 pm »

o ya, the fun fortress

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 06:36:39 pm »

If you ask me, the best way to explore the underworld is to embark in a 2x2 area in fortress mode, dig stairways all the way down into the caverns, perhaps build a few marker walls or something here and there to make the exit really obvious, and then abandon the "fort". That can be done quickly before your food runs out or anything else happens.

The last time I went down in a cave the exit to the surface was practically invisible (just one ramp among a billion others) and I was lucky I managed to make it out considering how far I got from it. And, to add to the suckage, all I found were 3 troglodytes in the cave itself and nothing in the cavern.

Oh well, at least I got some good swimming practice due to all the water down there, but otherwise the underworld was totally worthless. I suppose in theory you could run across a "curious structure" but i think you'd have to move around so much that you'd be practically guaranteed to get lost regardless of any landmarks you had dwarves build.