Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: My baron wants dwarf leather clothes.  (Read 6670 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My baron wants dwarf leather clothes.
« on: April 10, 2011, 02:23:17 am »

My baron wants dwarf leather. I would love to kill him, but he also has a few useful skills. Any alternative solutions?
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My baron wants dwarf leather clothes.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 02:30:04 am »

Don't have a sheriff, Captain of the Guard, or any fortress guard members; this will totally prevent justice from being carried out, so the only penalty is unhappy thoughts to the baron, which can be compensated for in the usual fashions. Note that if at any time in the future you do acquire a justice-related dwarf, the sentences that have gone unadministered will be carried out, and will likely involve deaths of targeted dwarves.

Alternatively, if you've already got one of the justice-related dwarves, build a lavishly-appointed jail. Occasionally, a random leatherworks-related dwarf will be put in jail for failing to produce a dwarf leather item and will thus be out of commission for a month or two. Make sure you've got prison wardens to feed and water prisoners. Note that if you arrange for there to be booze accessible to the jailed dwarves they won't need to be watered and will just drink the booze.

Finally, you may find it beneficial to train other people who have the same useful skills to compensate for the loss if you've really, really got to kill that little freak.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 02:43:24 am »

Wow. What does his preferences screen look like?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 04:18:03 am »

Everthing else seems normal. likes gabbro, marble, dwarven wine, birch, etc.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 04:24:40 am »

Wow. He's got problems.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 04:26:37 am »

Dwarven wine?

Is that a wine... FOR Dwarves or... FROM Dwarves?
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 05:25:43 am »

For. :P
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 05:26:18 am »

You take the fun out of everything...
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 07:00:54 am »

What.
So, this guy is why fell moods exist.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 07:43:42 am »

Don't have a sheriff, Captain of the Guard, or any fortress guard members; this will totally prevent justice from being carried out, so the only penalty is unhappy thoughts to the baron, which can be compensated for in the usual fashions. Note that if at any time in the future you do acquire a justice-related dwarf, the sentences that have gone unadministered will be carried out, and will likely involve deaths of targeted dwarves.

There is actually a consequence of ignoring mandates and the justice system nowadays. The offended noble sometimes takes matter in his own hands -literally- by assaulting the perceived offender. While this most likely doesn't harm the victim (the first couple of times), it might, if you get unlucky with the RNG.

LordBistian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 08:51:02 am »

Install a jail. If you have a jail, executions are less likely to be carried out. IIRC.
Or give your Hammerer a Candy Cane (Adamantine Warhammer).

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 10:19:58 am »

Try giving the leatherworkers helms. That way, the lucky strike won't kill them.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Ascarona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 10:26:33 am »

He likes trees and wine?... Might wanna give him a magma bath just to make sure you don't have an elf running your fort.
Be sure to relocate your main dining room in hell as well, and make the obvious joke about it.
It's just immoral to let elves leave the map without being robbed at least a little.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 11:06:22 am »

Make the leather from him. Then everyone's happy.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 11:07:54 am »

Nah, it's cool, dwarven wine is made from fermented mushrooms.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4