Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Grates, walls, magma, and magma buildings  (Read 510 times)

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
Grates, walls, magma, and magma buildings
« on: November 22, 2007, 10:06:00 pm »

Okay, so I have a magma vent with a bunch of magma men, magma imps, and magma snakes... So I am trying to devise a method of funneling magma into my workshops... But without bringing along the baddies... So I thought, "Hey, a grate might work!"

So I dig a channel and plop down a grate but... Lo and behold, you can't put buildings over grates. Now, I honestly think this is a bug. Grates are treated as floor, just allowing for the draining of liquids (or the flooding, as it may be) so this makes little sense to me. I can build a wall on a grate, but not a magma forge so my forge can get to magma safely without having a magma-based baddy pop up and kill my poor dwarves?

Maybe it's a bug that walls can be built on floor grates, too. I dunno. But next thing I'm gonna try will be a channel with grates so the magma gets through, but not the bad stuff. :3 I hope THAT works...

If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Grates, walls, magma, and magma buildings
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 12:51:00 am »

FYI zombie, the lava tile can be placed under the impassable tiles of the magma workshops; thus any unit that cannot destroy buildings cannot pass through.

[But yeah, it'd be nice if grates/bars and the other associated floor things were able to be placed under workshops. Then i can go back to my 33a workshop configuration of putting a downstairs directly under the middle workshop square for resource storage.]

[ November 23, 2007: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 02:26:00 am »

Well, I suppose that or my grate solution would work as a temp fix. :P
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 02:13:00 pm »

Did you use a wall grate or a floor grate? Should be able to build on top of a wall grate.

Edit-Addendum: Oh, you meant right below the workshop. - Well, don't think you can. But I place my grates much further away from the industrial complexes.

Also, make sure the grate is solid iron or steel. Else it will just melt and you'll sit there with unexpected guests.

Secondly, lava flows much faster than you'd expect. So be very careful when channelling the stuff. Lost Vucar that way...

We filled his coffin with the puff of smoke that was left.

[ November 23, 2007: Message edited by: Cajoes ]

Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.