Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: breaking an aquifer  (Read 568 times)

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
breaking an aquifer
« on: April 09, 2011, 11:13:24 pm »

im at a really awesome spot, i did a reveal check and im happy with the kind of minerals on the map, at least i'll have some iron and there's zombies (yay! i love zombies! :D)but theres an aquifer..... i was thinking that if i make some ifinite power pumps to keep the water away long enough to breach the 1 layer, build walls and repeat with second i could go deeper,
only problem is that this looks awefully complicated, i could go ahead and use df liquids to just breach it but it feels like cheating (actually it is) so any of got a suggestion? (btw, i can't get stone it's under the aquifer layers)

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: breaking an aquifer
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 11:25:02 pm »

This thread has a method for piercing an aquifer of any depth, using only wood.  It is kind of complicated, but it works for 1 or 10 levels of aquifer.  The method suggested by QuantumMenace on page 2 is the one you want.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 11:34:37 pm »

You might want to get acquainted with the cave-in method too if you plan on bringing magma up past the aquifer.

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 08:51:28 am »

This thread has a method for piercing an aquifer of any depth, using only wood.  It is kind of complicated, but it works for 1 or 10 levels of aquifer.  The method suggested by QuantumMenace on page 2 is the one you want.

JMZ
thsat thread is nice expt........ i don't have any rocks

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 08:54:33 am »

You can make wooden blocks.

Though, I have made it a habit to always bring 3 stone blocks with me, as well as a handful of raw wood and stone

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 09:04:58 am »

okay, i tough i needed mechanism but aparently i don't, i never use pumps so im not used to it
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 09:08:22 am by elpizo »