Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Suit of armor?  (Read 1660 times)

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
Suit of armor?
« on: April 09, 2011, 09:20:02 pm »

I kind of searched and I haven't seen this brought up before, which probably means it can't really be done...

Can you make a suit of armor?

One item that covers the dwarf head to toe made out of steel or whatnot? I was thinking you could base it off of a robe or something that doesn't decay? It would be cool because I would just have to make 1 item for each dwarf instead of creating all the various crap that makes up a suit. Idk, I suck at modding.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: Suit of armor?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 09:40:58 pm »

I kind of searched and I haven't seen this brought up before, which probably means it can't really be done...

Can you make a suit of armor?

One item that covers the dwarf head to toe made out of steel or whatnot? I was thinking you could base it off of a robe or something that doesn't decay? It would be cool because I would just have to make 1 item for each dwarf instead of creating all the various crap that makes up a suit. Idk, I suck at modding.
So mod-est  :P

I think you probably could, but I'm new to modding myself. I'd explain, but my choice of words would make things really complicated, without helping much
 :P

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 11:59:04 pm »

*opens the raws*

Well, hm. I know that a cloak is the only thing that completely covers the body...so...
Code: [Select]
[ITEM_ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_CLOAK]
[NAME:cloak:cloaks]
[UBSTEP:MAX]
[LBSTEP:1]
[LAYER:COVER]
[COVERAGE:100]
[LAYER_SIZE:15]
[LAYER_PERMIT:150]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:5]
[SOFT]
[LEATHER]
[STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_WOVEN_THREAD]

It looks to me like [LAYER:COVER] and [COVERAGE:100] would get you a full body piece of clothing.

I will hesitantly say that yes, you can have a full body armor thing.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 12:53:30 am »

*opens the raws*

Well, hm. I know that a cloak is the only thing that completely covers the body...so...
[UBSTEP:MAX]
[LBSTEP:1]
[LAYER_PERMIT:150]
[SOFT]
[LEATHER]

It looks to me like [LAYER:COVER] and [COVERAGE:100] would get you a full body piece of clothing.

I will hesitantly say that yes, you can have a full body armor thing.
Take out Elasticity, leather, and soft; then make it metal, and you got a suit of armor!

kwd1968

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 01:17:49 am »

Unfortunately, no.

Coverage is simply the percentage chance that the piece of armor has of actually affecting any incoming attack, and [COVER] refers to the layering system the game uses to determine what kinds of armor/clothes can be worn together on the same body part.

The key variables for what a piece of armor/clothing cover is their actual item name and the UB/UP/LBSTEP lines.

ITEM_ARMOR armor and clothing only covers the torso, ITEM_GLOVES the hands etc

the wiki has a good page on armor tokens here http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Armor_token.

To completely cover a dwarf's body requires a minimum one of each ITEM_ARMOR/GLOVES/PANTS/HELM/SHOES depending on their STEP values.

Now if you modded a dwarf to be a headless worm, yeah you could do it in one.

The above solution will just get you the same coverage as a cloak, which would be head, throat, upper and lower body.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 01:28:03 am »

Just a thought, maybe you can use different pieces of armor along with a few other conjoining pieces at a workshop to put the thing together. Maybe an armorer workshop perhaps, the process would need every piece of metallic equipment as a reagent.

LukeRM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 01:30:50 am »

A cloak by default actually covers the face and eyes(not the head, but including the throat), upper body, arms and fingers (but not hands), the lower body, and the upper legs. (The lower body is counted as zero steps away so it's always covered.)

[UBSTEP:MAX] and [LBSTEP:MAX] on upper and lower body clothes and armor do not cover [STANCE], [HEAD], or [GRASP] body parts. So, as kwd said, you need a minimum of one ITEM_ARMOR/GLOVES/PANTS/HELM/SHOES to cover everything.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 02:02:02 am »

:o :o

I am the worst at this, it seems.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 02:20:37 am »

I think Luke is wrong. I think with [LBSTEP:MAX], you wouldn't need pants. Just one each of ITEM_ARMOR/HELM and two each of ITEM_GLOVES/SHOES. Also, with [UBSTEP:MAX] on the shoes, you wouldn't need pants to cover the legs.

LukeRM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 02:52:18 am »

Yeah you're right. I forgot to mention that, but better to have an extra layer of pants just to make sure you don't get your nerves torn.
It sucks to have 'Ability to stand lost'.

kwd1968

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 02:56:23 am »

True, my bad.  The only pieces that are definitely necessary are the ones that cover the torso, stance, grasp and head parts.  They can be made to cover everything else.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 03:01:47 am »

I would like to remove the cheesy armor stacking DF currently uses and make it so that you can only wear one suit of armor over one set of clothing, possibly with a cape thrown over that. I know that historically you'd stack chain under plate etc., but the vanilla game doesn't quite have that sorted out to my liking yet. How do I do that?
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 03:24:07 am »

You can fool around with the layering to make equipment take up more 'space' than it does currently. The Armour page on the wiki has the details of that.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

LukeRM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 03:26:30 am »

I think this might work for the body clothes -

[ITEM_ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_CLOTHES]
[NAME:clothing:clothes]
[PREPLURAL:sets of]
[UBSTEP:2]
[LBSTEP:2]
[LAYER:OVER]
[LAYER_PERMIT:1]
[SOFT]
[LEATHER]

[ITEM_ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_ARMOR]
[NAME:body armor:body armor]
[PREPLURAL:suits of]
[ARMORLEVEL:1]
[METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS]
[LAYER:ARMOR]
[LAYER_PERMIT:15]
[SHAPED]
[HARD]
[METAL]
[BARRED]
[SCALED]
[LEATHER]

[LAYER_PERMIT:30]
[SOFT]
[LEATHER]

I think that will work for the body, at least. It will cover the entire arms, legs, and body only. Just do the same for helms, gloves, and pants. Haven't tested it, though.

splinteredmind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 10:50:39 am »

Technically it's called a Harness of Plate or a Harness of Mail.
"Suit of Armour" is a Victorian term, as is chain mail.

Edit: Just realised this post might have come across as a historical version of the Grammar Nazi. Not my intent, just like to advise on arms and armour.  :D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 10:56:29 am by splinteredmind »
Pages: [1] 2