Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25

Author Topic: "Rinsewind the First-Bolts" - A hole for craven cowards and misfits.  (Read 30588 times)

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Rinsewind the First-Bolts" - A hole for craven cowards and misfits.
« Reply #210 on: April 26, 2011, 06:55:47 am »

Do you have enough unoccupied beds in the hospital?
I had the same problem several times and it seemed connected to clogged up beds in the hospital.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 26, 2011, 09:42:07 am »

I'm sorry for not editing the sheet often enough, I don't always have time and googlespreadsheet is very annoying to work with. If one of you wants editing-permission, just post or pm me your gmail.

EDIT: I'll update it and make a different spot for dorfed players
EDITEDIT: I have 36 dorfed players if I counted correctly and 1 dead one.
EDITEDITEDIT± R*pr*d*c* you Google! I lost most of the colors in my spreadsheet >.>
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 12:15:27 pm by Dutchling »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 26, 2011, 01:01:09 pm »

Are you still using burrows that prevent people from going outside to recover Geb?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 26, 2011, 01:12:35 pm »

On hospitals:

Do you have the hospital designated as such, and have doctors ready?  Have you had someone replace Dutching as Chief Medical Dwarf?

You will probably also need to dig a cistern for a well for the hospital.  I recommend taking from the aquifer (and also building all your repeaters off of the aquifer - just copy the design I have already used, which is just the basic fluid repeater exactly like on the wiki

Making the aquifer our only water source has the advantages of being infinite, entirely controllable, and having absolutely no way for any nasties to pathfind into our fortress.

Be sure to use some sort of pressure-control system if you dig downwards to reach the hospital. 

I doubt we have soap or gypsum powder at this point, but it shouldn't be too hard to make a small amount of either. 

I also think you might want to check for any strange zoning on the map, and see if there is someplace that is designated as a water collection point outside the fortress.  We can't have dwarves wandering outside the fort.  Making a reservoir attached to a controlled aquifer tap and designating that as your water source (preferably in or near your hospital) should solve that problem. 

When tapping the aquifer, remember to set up a floodgate and link it to a lever with a clear and explicitly detailed note on what the lever does in the control room before you actually mine out the tile that will be flooded by the aquifer.  To ensure we have no accidents in a community fort, we need redundancies and documentation for everything that operates in the fort. 

Preferably, this would include building some sort of "drain" that empties out the reservoir and pipes by flushing it all into the caverns with a drawbridge and fortification to prevent anything nasty from swimming up, but in this case, time is an issue.

Also, remember that it is worth extending the length of the hall o' death.  Build serrated discs and menacing spikes galore, and fill up a long path with those traps - you want those traps at least 15 tiles deep.

See the post I made a little while back about this:
Also, I do think it would be a good idea to extend the number of traps a siege has to go through when you have the time and iron saw blades to spare - you can extend that front gate and all the traps in it as many times as you want, really -
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You can even dig out a region, and make them go through multiple z-levels up and down to get to the open area (and set up a marksdwarf tower later so that a set of marksdwarves can fire upon the same enemies multiple times by just going down a z-level to the next section of the bunker).

Remember, there's no such thing as too many traps, only too few. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 01:36:09 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 26, 2011, 02:55:40 pm »

The hospital is designated as such, but no one is going and getting him.

I'm not dicking around with the aquifer, as I'm not 100% sure where it is, or what I'd do once I hit it. Last time I tried learning about aquifers, both of my miners drowned to death. If I kill one more person during my turn, I'll start half expecting to be hanged.

As for a water source, remember the wall, separating the fortress from the left hand side of the map? I built a stairway onto it, and built a well, dipping into the river. So, hopefully, no one else will go on an odyssey looking for a friggin' bath. I'm thinking about building a drawbridge plus stairway combo that would give us access to the resources on the west bank. Later, maybe.

I should make a soap makers workshop though, get some soap and all.

Also, I forgot to mention, but our militia is now in full steel. Trying to also give them Breastplates in addition to the mail shirts they're wearing, hopefully they'll put them on instead of taking off the mail shirts.

Edit: I have 54 dwarfs and two dead dwarves. Here's my list. I think everyone is on here, but I'm not sure.

Mecro910
Truean
Adamantine Fist
JohnnieRWilkins
Agarthacides
Patchy
Scaraban
Armok
Alluvian Est Ednrati
Darvi
Rolan7
Got It00
Itnetlolor
Ghostbird
Geb
Joshuatar
de5me7
Ghills
vandersleld
Killer Clowns
GreatWyrmGold
AdeleneDawner
Khift
Nw Kohaku
Jake
Forumite
Bdthemag
Ghostbird
Urist Imiknorris
BladeMaster42
Zaerosz
Buzzing Beard
Ahonek
Vercingetorix
Dutchling
DrKillPatient
Byakugan01
Ethicalfive
Stormfeather
fallofthechosen
Alastar - Architect
Slimy Marmot - Seige Engineering/Operating
Niyazov - Dungeon Master
xordea - cook
slothen - Armorer/cleaner
Monkeyhead - Stonecrafter/bonecarver
Torgan - Spinner
Lost Requiem - Brewer
Lishain - Marksdwarf
Deathsword - Woodburner
Dirkzen - Fisherdwarf
Dradym - Fishing/woodburning/glassmaking/some hauling
Mister Always - Animal Trainer
Orkel - Cleaning Dwarf
Gatleos - Butcher
Jamini - Mechanic

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 26, 2011, 03:54:40 pm »

There's no soap? For soap, you'll need lye, and for me to make lye, I'll need food, drink, and legs. For me to have legs, I'll need soap...

Oh dear.

If you've still not convinced anybody to recover me, you could try making a new burrow that has only me and the hospital in it, and assigning a few idlers to it.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 26, 2011, 04:53:57 pm »

There's no soap? For soap, you'll need lye, and for me to make lye, I'll need food, drink, and legs. For me to have legs, I'll need soap...

Oh dear.

If you've still not convinced anybody to recover me, you could try making a new burrow that has only me and the hospital in it, and assigning a few idlers to it.

Tried that, it isn't working. I've put EVERYONE into that burrow, and no one is willing to haul your ass to the hospital. Which makes no sense. I at least checked myself, and I don't actively dislike helping people. This is a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

Oh hell's bells, I think you're hosed Geb.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 26, 2011, 05:00:45 pm »

Oh dear.

Tried that, it isn't working. I've put EVERYONE into that burrow, and no one is willing to haul your ass to the hospital. Which makes no sense. I at least checked myself, and I don't actively dislike helping people. This is a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

Oh hell's bells, I think you're hosed Geb.

What about the field hospital idea? If you slap a hospital zone over where I'm lying, does anybody bring food and drink?

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 26, 2011, 05:13:45 pm »

I think you have to be in a bed. Thing is, you're outside.

I'm going to give it a shot though.

Edit: Damn, too late. You've died, Geb. Worst part? Someone immediately went to haul you to your tomb. *Headdesk*

Overseer's Log: 4th Obsidian.

Geb has passed on. His body has been entombed. Another death by thirst. You'd think this place was a desert.

No one has said anything. Yet. However, I'm sure that once the year is out, I will be imprisoned. Or I would, if we had one. They will hold me responsible. I am afraid.

Also, though it is no immediate danger, we have heard terrible sounds from the caverns. They are walled off, so there is no need to fear, but, I believe it to be...

The potential resources in the cave are surely lost.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 26, 2011, 06:49:27 pm »

I should draw up schematics for that FB trap I devised a couple forts ago, which worked like a charm. (Too bad FBs with webs don't actually web...)
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 26, 2011, 07:49:55 pm »

I have mandated engravings in his chambers, as well as similar ones for the rooms belonging to GreatWyrmGold.
Thank y-
Wait a minute...

No worries. You're not a baron yet, so you haven't started complaining. My IC voice's preferred method of handling Nobles is to get them what they want. So, even if you were, blah blah blah I forget where I was going with that.
I was actually referring to the fact that my tomb is the first room you set up for me.

I am not happy. So much has gone wrong in my short stay as Overseer. Two deaths. Geb is also badly hurt. I don't know if he will pull through. Niyazov has ordered that GreatWyrmGold be removed from his Office and Dining Room, claiming they are far above his station. In order to prevent further conflict, I was forced to oblige.
HEY!
...How long until the fort becomes a barony?

Also, though it is no immediate danger, we have heard terrible sounds from the caverns. They are walled off, so there is no need to fear, but, I believe it to be...

The potential resources in the cave are surely lost.
You can say that again. Deadly dust? Oh dear.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 26, 2011, 09:00:09 pm »

We've already tapped the caverns, and we have all the stuff we need on the surface.  We don't need to re-enter the caverns unless we want a GCS or something. 

We can set up a FB-mutilation hall at our leisure, and then re-open the caverns.  You don't have to worry about it on your turn, though.

The aquifer is exactly where the repeater I set up is - it follows a straight line north-to-south, and as long as you approach it horizontally, you will always get one of those designation cancelation warnings.  As long as you approach by simply coming from the west, you will have a pause-the-game-and-recenter warning that you can't miss, no matter how much you might actually want it not to warn you.

Spoiler: diagram (click to show/hide)

See the wet stone designation in the middle hall there?  That's where the limestone walls are directly below aquifer-bearing soil.  Those tiles will fill with water if you open them.  If you copy the system that is already there, or just put a series of channels down from a point to the west of there (and put a floodgate in the tile next to the aquifer to control the flow, and lock the door when you're done.)

The problem with making a well over the stream is that some swimmers can swim up a well and attack you, anyway.  This leaves us vulnerable to attack.  The aquifer is much safer, since we can absolutely control the circumstances of the breach. 

Blade Master, if nothing else, once your turn is over, I would encourage you to duplicate your save, and keep playing this fort, and try doing some of these things like building bridges and tapping aquifers and maybe even going down after the FB.  You don't learn by being scared to try something.  Yes, you might screw up, but Learning is Fun, and sometimes, Learning means Losing. 
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 26, 2011, 10:41:32 pm »

I was actually referring to the fact that my tomb is the first room you set up for me.

No. If memory serves,NW_Kohaku set you up with some nice digs, a private dining room, and an office before I even started. I actually haven't engraved your tomb, I engraved all your other stuff. And Niyazov is still pissed. And demanding a billon statue. No wonder people have a nasty tendency to introduce Nobles to magma.

I'm not sure I want to keep playing this fort, at least not with these settings. Plus, I have a two year old fort waiting for me once I'm done with my turn. On the other hand, I've gotten attached to the rest of the forum goers as dwarf. I took the three deaths much harder than I would have had they happened in a standard fort.

I've got about a half of winter to play, so I suppose I'll see how I feel when it's time for me to step down and hand the fort off to someone else.

Overseer's Log: 15th Obsidian

Khift has outdone himself. It's worth 178800 Dwarfbucks. Absolutely stunning work.
This will most likely be my penultimate entry as Overseer of Rinsewind. Once I step down, I will don steel and join our militia. Perhaps I can save more lives that way.
Of course, I cannot be remiss in my duties as a hauler, so I will train only part time, unfortunately.
Also we are in need of a new leader for the military. No one else has volunteered for the position yet, and until such a time, I will be forced to wait.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 27, 2011, 12:07:08 am »

Double Post!

Well, the last one was cluttered, so yeah.

Overseer's Log: Final Entry.

Well, that's it. My year as Overseer is over. It was more bad then good, but I think I got a lot accomplished.

We're in a good position, food and drink wise. Animals are still overflowing, but that's a necessity when you want to keep meat on a dwarf's place. I did get the Dining Hall improved, and I set up tombs for about half of the fortress. The Dungeon Master's spirits seem to be up as well.

I built upon my predecessor's defense design, extending it somewhat. I also set up an alternate entryway. My plan was to trick goblins into the traps as they fruitlessly attempted to get to one gate as it opened, while the one they were close to was shut. What the next Overseer chooses to do is his business.
The goblin prisoners still lie in their cages. No idea what I should do with them, which is good, as it's no longer my problem.
Dwarves die. It's a fact of life. But more live. That's the important thing, I think. However, I believe the mantle of command is too much for me. I resign the position to the next Overseer. I wish him luck.

OOC: Whoops, almost forgot to put up the save! http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4284

I'm holding onto the save, just in case, so if there are any problems, lemme know!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 27, 2011, 12:19:30 am »

... You know, I just realized we no longer need paths 3 tiles wide for caravans to get through until wagons are actually implemented again.

Anyway, you don't need to make the hallway a straight line unless you want to put a ballista facing down it - making it snake up and down the mountain is fine.

Also, if you want to make dual entrances so that you send goblins back and forth between them, you probably want to make those entrances a little further apart.  Granted, they won't survive too many trips across weapons traps, but a siege can be composed of a very large number of various gobbos that get spread out, and it takes 100 frames to lower, and another 100 frames to subsequently raise a drawbridge.  That's enough frames for a standard creature to make 20 steps.  The distance between your two bridges is 23 steps.  That's not much of a margin for error.

You always need redundancies and margin for error in dwarven engineering, or dwarves die.  There is no such thing as being too paranoid.  DF has very little way for you to manage disasters as they happen.  You have to anticipate them all, and cut them off ahead of time.  It is a game that rewards thinking ahead and plotting things through with your fort not dying.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25