Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25

Author Topic: "Rinsewind the First-Bolts" - A hole for craven cowards and misfits.  (Read 30582 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: "Rinsewind the First-Bolts" - A hole for craven cowards and misfits.
« Reply #195 on: April 25, 2011, 06:41:12 am »

That's ok

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 25, 2011, 09:42:17 am »

It has become clear that the fort requires a healthy dosage of my impeccable siege weaponry!

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 25, 2011, 11:12:29 am »

So the fort has its first casualty now. Hmm, didn't take as long as I thought it would with the supposed paranoid cowards approach. But then again, it wasn't goblins that took the life, but rather internal problems. Oh well, wonder who'll be next.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 25, 2011, 04:43:37 pm »

Overseer's Log: 22nd Limestone

In response to my creation of a burial chamber for Dutchling, other dwarves have made it clear they wish for tombs also. In addition to clearing space for additional bedrooms beneath the current accommodations, I have ordered similar spaces dug out beneath those for tombs. Tombs for the nobility will be smoothed, engraved, and furnished, of course.

Our Dungeon Master Niyazov (who has yet to do either any Dungeoning, or Mastering), has complained once again that his smoothed, spacious accomodations, dining room, and office are still not good enough. I have mandated engravings in his chambers, as well as similar ones for the rooms belonging to GreatWyrmGold.

The animals I designated for slaughter more than a season ago are still alive and picking fights. I've taken it upon myself to butcher them, as it seems no one else will. While we have plenty of drink, Our food stores are not so deep as I would like.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 25, 2011, 05:52:42 pm »

If we need more food reserves, there's always vermin. Have we got enough wood to spare some for trapping things?

It is my duty to keep the fortress clear of vermin, and if that leads to having a little extra to eat, all is good.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 25, 2011, 07:01:29 pm »

If you give me the formula, the one I got from excel Q&A doesn't work...
Is it harder than whatever you did to make the names "orange?"
No, you may not live that down ever. Then again, I might forget.  :P

I have mandated engravings in his chambers, as well as similar ones for the rooms belonging to GreatWyrmGold.
Thank y-
Wait a minute...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 25, 2011, 07:29:01 pm »

I have mandated engravings in his chambers, as well as similar ones for the rooms belonging to GreatWyrmGold.
Thank y-
Wait a minute...

No worries. You're not a baron yet, so you haven't started complaining. My IC voice's preferred method of handling Nobles is to get them what they want. So, even if you were, blah blah blah I forget where I was going with that.

UPDATE!

Overseer's Log: 9th Sandstone.

More migrants arrived. A few woodburners, a butcher, some fisherdwarves, and a few others. A small group, but they will be helpful, I've no doubt. At least I can stop fumbling with the wood furnace. They are far harder to work with than I had imagined. Anyway, here's the list of the new migrants.

Deathsword - Woodburner
Dirkzen - Fisherdwarf
Dradym - Fishing/woodburning/glassmaking/some hauling
Mister Always - Animal Trainer
Orkel - Cleaning Dwarf
Gatleos - Butcher
Jamini - Mechanic

In slightly more macabre news, Tombs for my fellows are being set up. I plan to provide my own tomb last, if I even get around to it. As our leader, my personal needs should not be put before others.

Things have been relatively quiet, since the siege. Too quiet.

P.S. Darvi has withdrawn from society. Curious.

Overseer's Log: 20th Sandstone.

Sweet Idrath,144000 Dwarfbucks! That is amazing!
Maybe I should put it in the Dungeon Master's Bedroom, he's been upset lately.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 25, 2011, 08:48:48 pm »

You don't close the drawbridge unless the goblins are going to get through the traps. You leave the path open so that they will run through the traps...  And this is why you need to extend the trap hallways.

I don't consider it a proper hall o' death without 10 rows of weapon traps and 40 rows of menacing spikes.

Bonus for ballistas at the end of the hall. 

You only close the drawbridge and seal yourself off when all else has failed, and it works best if you put it in a shallow portion of the fortress proper.  Build a dummy lever in the control room, and tell a dwarf to pull it repeatedly to keep the dwarf there as you lock them in, and you can manage the control room with that dwarf.  It's actually a good idea to put another entrance to your fort out there, with extra traps near it, and then tell your control room dwarf to keep opening and closing different entrances, so that you can send them back and forth over the traps, especially if they are spikes on an aquifer-based repeater.

Also, what had you left Dutchling doing before the battle?  Had you put Dutchling on patrol, and not given him a waterskin?

If you need more food (seriously? the farms are still working, right?  How many of those fields have been planted?)  then you should turn off my character's other labors besides farming, so that she'll work on farming non-stop if you need more work done on the fields. 

Also, remember that you need to have threshers processing plants to make quarry bushes into quarry bush leaves, and you need to cook those leaves.  If you have fisherdwarves, you also need fishery workers to actually shuck those mussels.  We had hundreds of units of food when my turn was over, so food shouldn't be a problem unless you have not done any farming at all.

Try to do periodic (like once a season) checks of all the jobs in the fortress "j" and also going through the workshops - see what jobs haven't been done yet, and why. Because we have multi-job dwarves all over the place, many important jobs may not be getting done because dwarves will prefer one job over the other.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 25, 2011, 09:42:42 pm »

I hadn't had him doing anything actually. That's the damndest thing. I got the message he'd died of thirst shortly after ordering the militia to stand just behind the gate. I do not know why he didn't get something to drink.

I was actually thinking about a making a low tech goblin repeater. Definitely going to do it now.

We have roughly 130 units of unprocessed food, and 303 things that fit in the other category. Plus just under 500 units of drink. The farms are still operating, but our surplus isn't growing. I got a tad worried about that, seeing as how we're 50+ dwarves now. Shouldn't be a big deal though, brew is on repeat again, and I've got at least one of the cooks (I'm pretty sure we have one, too lazy to check the unit list just now) making easy meals.

Overseer's Log: 12th Timber.

The liaison and caravan from the mountain are here. We have much more crafts than we were able to dump on the elves, so I expect many worthwhile transactions, as well as a suitable gift for the mountainhomes.

I've also begun designing a set up to trick goblins forces into moving through or traps repeatedly. If I do not complete it, I will leave notes for the future overseer.

Winter is closing in. We have a deep stockpile of food and drink, and, unless we become greedy or lazy, we will not have to fear starvation, barring disaster. I've ordered quarry leaves and other foods cooked. This is the second year of Rinsewind. We deserve a well cooked meal.

Off to deal with the merchants. I will report any notable acquisitions.

Overseer's log: 16th Timber

A goblin ambush was waiting for Mister Always. A group of lashers, led by a goblin swordsman. Another death under my lead. I feel sick. I ordered the military out, to try and save him. But I was too late. No one could have moved fast enough. No one. I'm ordering the dwarves inside. I won't have more deaths. I refuse.

Overseer's Log: 23rd Timber

I am not happy. So much has gone wrong in my short stay as Overseer. Two deaths. Geb is also badly hurt. I don't know if he will pull through. Niyazov has ordered that GreatWyrmGold be removed from his Office and Dining Room, claiming they are far above his station. In order to prevent further conflict, I was forced to oblige.

The Merchants brought nearly nothing. We scrape and dig and craft and they bring next to nothing. Just a few barrels of alcohol, and 5 cave lobsters. I hope goblins get them on the way back. I have yet to speak to the liaison. If he does not have very, VERY good news for me, I just might throw a tantrum.

I can't wait to drop the mantle of command onto the shoulder's of one far more capable.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 25, 2011, 10:43:53 pm »

400 food is plenty for 50 dwarves - that's enough for a full year!

I also have to ask why you haven't put in breadbochs as a dwarf yet, since he's the cook, and one of the earliest dwarves on the list...  If you have NW_Kohaku cooking, she's not farming, and she's not doing her ceramics.  And when she doesn't get to do her ceramics, people DIE!

Also, why was Mister_Always outside the fort?  The wall and traps enclose a large enough area for everything you need from outside.  And how was Geb hurt? 

Do you have a hospital up yet?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 26, 2011, 12:14:43 am »

xordea is cooking right now. So NW_Kohaku is free to ceramificate. Or whatever.

As for breadbochs, I 'unno. Also, the list is somewhat unreliable. Some of the dwarves who are in aren't placed as such, and I know Ethicalfive is one of those that aren't. Also, their are two Ethicalfives according to the chart. Maybe dwarfed dwarves should be put on a different sheet?

If I remember correctly, the cancellation message he gave just before he was flayed to death was about cleaning himself. So he may have been looking for a water source. Which would explain Geb also. Geb was found by the goblins about the same time the militia found the goblins.

And I did set up a hospital. Right when the ambush started.

Edit: We have a problem. No one is going out to recover Geb. I tried turning off all of my own labors except for recover wounded, but then I just sat around without a job. People are going to the site of the battle to recover loot and whatnot, but no one will haul Geb to the hospital. Help.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 26, 2011, 03:25:25 am »

It's just a flesh wound. He can make it by himself.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 26, 2011, 03:57:51 am »

Nuh-uh. He's got a fracture in his left leg and foot. He's been sitting there for some time ow, and now he's hungry and thirsty. I saved and stopped because I can't get anyone to drag his ass inside. What do?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 26, 2011, 04:45:44 am »

Disable some jobs for some dorfs? If they don't do it, then... "motivate" them.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 26, 2011, 04:51:03 am »

What do everybody's preferences say about helping others? It seems unlikely with 50 dwarves that we don't have *anyone* who's altruistic, but I suppose it's possible.

Failing that, if he's in a safe enough spot, you could just designate a hospital where he is. I've had to do that before, though only for walking wounded who I didn't think would make it to the hospital.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25