Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25

Author Topic: "Rinsewind the First-Bolts" - A hole for craven cowards and misfits.  (Read 30593 times)

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: "Rinsewind the First-Bolts" - A hole for craven cowards and misfits.
« Reply #180 on: April 23, 2011, 04:42:21 pm »

I am in - outstanding. Now get me churning out crap to spam the caravans with, rock pots and bone bolts please!

Done and done. The fortress appreciates your service!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 23, 2011, 09:33:12 pm »

Can you make a badger arena for me? I'd like some live training :)

I also changed everyone in the spreadsheet to be orange if they are dorfed

I've heard of steel clad dwarves getting their drunken little limbs ripped off by badgers. Not thinking this is a good idea. Maybe as target practice for the marksdwarves. Might do that.

One-on-one, badgers are pathetically weak.  An unarmored, untrained dwarf can shatter a badger's rib in a single kick.  They are basically just cats that are suicidally fierce.   

Giant Badgers are more scary, but still manageable regular creatures.

There is, however, a bug in the way combat currently works, where three of just about anything ganging up on a single unarmored target will kill them, no matter how mismatched the fight should be. 

Three hoary marmots will kill an elephant, for example.  Because their nibbles are too painful, and cause the elephant to faint in six turns, even though they take almost no damage and don't actually bleed, and it will take the hoary marmots years to get enough critical hits to cause enough gradual bleeding damage from the soft trunk or tail areas to actually bleed an elephant to death, the nibbles keep the elephant in a permanent pain-coma. 

Also, a wooden weapon rack artifact... I guess for certain definitions of the word "weaponize", you can consider a weapons rack capable of being "weaponized"?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 24, 2011, 02:32:50 am »

Also, a wooden weapon rack artifact... I guess for certain definitions of the word "weaponize", you can consider a weapons rack capable of being "weaponized"?

Actually, I said I wanted whatever he made weaponised because my IC voice is OBSESSED with making sure we don't die a horrifyingly goblin based death. Hence, lotsa weapon traps and a preoccupation with how much steel we need.

I ought to get started on project WATCHTOWER.

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 24, 2011, 03:40:14 am »

Actually we CAN weaponize the rack in the traditional sense. A wood artifact will ignite when submerged in magma and never stop burning unless you somehow extinguish it, turning our rack into a eternal torch.

Here is a quick design i came up with to supply us with roasted gobbos in the future.
Code: [Select]
#####XXX#####
#...........#
#...........#
#...........#
#...........#      X - floodgates
#...........#      # - walls
#.....P.....#      P - pressure plate
#...........#      . - retractable bridges
#...........#
#...........#
#...........#
#...........#
#####XXX#####
The artifact is placed on the plate, forbidden and then lit on fire by pumping a bit of magma into the chamber. When someone now steps on the plate a fluid-logic gate is switched on, seals the floodgates and activates a clock that will open the bridges after some time. To prevent friendly fire there will be a passage parallel to this chamber that is longer then the direct way while the chamber itself will be restricted. Dwarves wont use the chamber due to the restriction but ambushes and sieges will happily use the direct way and run right over the burning artifact.
Below is a chamber that serves only as a holding pen and collection area. When the clock time is set long enough most gobbos should be already burning brightly when they are dropped down there but if you want to be extra sure you could add upright spikes and a longer drop.
It would also be useful to have the ability to pump water through the same hole in the ceiling like the magma so that the chamber can be flooded and the artifact extinguished if we need to do some maintenance.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 24, 2011, 03:57:31 am »

There is, however, a bug in the way combat currently works, where three of just about anything ganging up on a single unarmored target will kill them, no matter how mismatched the fight should be. 

Three hoary marmots will kill an elephant, for example.  Because their nibbles are too painful, and cause the elephant to faint in six turns, even though they take almost no damage and don't actually bleed, and it will take the hoary marmots years to get enough critical hits to cause enough gradual bleeding damage from the soft trunk or tail areas to actually bleed an elephant to death, the nibbles keep the elephant in a permanent pain-coma. 

Are you sure about that? In another fort I've had my dwarf fight 3 or 4 troglodytes while wearing full iron and barely any skills and he killed them in a few seconds.

Blademaster, you could also tame all the badgers and than create a badger shower in the dining room to traumatize our dwarves so we won't get tantrum spirals
(You can also do it without taming them but you'll need a deeper pit to be sure they don't survive.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 24, 2011, 07:52:20 am »

Are you sure about that? In another fort I've had my dwarf fight 3 or 4 troglodytes while wearing full iron and barely any skills and he killed them in a few seconds.
That should answer that.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 24, 2011, 09:45:09 am »

As long as the caverns or other dangerous underground areas are breached, I might be willing to do some steel meting. Those forges look reasonably safe.

That is very quotable. Also terrifying.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 24, 2011, 10:12:28 am »

you'll probably forbid export of them though
...If he does...He is not me-dwarf.

A. The word "orange" is actually dark blue.
B. The spreadsheet lists me as not dwarfed, but I am. I a a gem setter (fun?) who likes, among other things, claystone, rose gold, earrings, and splints.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 24, 2011, 10:23:37 am »

B. The spreadsheet lists me as not dwarfed, but I am. I a a gem setter (fun?) who likes, among other things, claystone, rose gold, earrings, and splints.

A. Bananas are yellow, not brown The color is called navy
B. To make up for it, I didn't just make your name orange but the whole cell your name is in as well!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 24, 2011, 11:15:49 am »

Actually, I said I wanted whatever he made weaponised because my IC voice is OBSESSED with making sure we don't die a horrifyingly goblin based death. Hence, lotsa weapon traps and a preoccupation with how much steel we need.

I ought to get started on project WATCHTOWER.

How many rows of traps have you extended?  As powerful as weapon traps are, they still jam.  You need several rows of the things to handle the really big sieges. 

Also, it's handy when you're making a watchtower to have the enemy go back and forth while in line of sight so that you have more time to fire bolts at them. 

You could also dig out a cave on the right side of the entrance instead of letting it go up the hill, and let the watchtower shoot into the cave.  Then you could extend the length of the entrance arbitrarily long, and set up spike traps to another aquifer-based repeater, and generate a Hall of Pain that kills creatures with TRAPAVOID, as well. 

(When we get ready to truly open the caverns, this is what we need to do...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 24, 2011, 11:28:24 am »

A. Bananas are yellow, not brown The color is called navy
B. To make up for it, I didn't just make your name orange but the whole cell your name is in as well!
As to B: Excel...ha, ha. Oh, and why don't you add some kind of indicator at the top so we know what jobs are filled? You can make it navy.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 24, 2011, 11:48:58 am »

If you give me the formula, the one I got from excel Q&A doesn't work...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 12:11:51 pm by Dutchling »

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 24, 2011, 10:28:32 pm »

This entry seems to have been written with a shaky hand...

Overseer's Log: 13th Galena

My worst fears have been realized. The goblin menace has come for our fortress. I have faith in our mechanist's and the traps they have built, but I fear what may happen in any case.

Their force is at least ten strong, including a Giant toad, and we cannot win in a direct confrontation. Our own military is small and inexperienced, and goblins are vicious.

I have recalled all the citizens inside, and I am ready to order the bridge raised. May Id keep us safe.

Overseer's Log: 4th Limestone

The siege was driven back. For now. They will return, and in greater numbers. I am certain. We have six prisoners. I have yet to decide their fate.

The bridge was a disaster. It seems my instruction was erroneous, and the bridge raised in the wrong direction. We had no time to build additional walls to stop the invaders. I did what I had to. I summoned our militia. Not a single one was harmed by goblinkind.

Yet, we lost a comrade nonetheless. Dutchling, I am sad to report, was lost to thirst. He steadfastly held his ground against the goblins, even as he withered away.

To those who claim that Rinsewind is a hole where cowards and fools are dumped: I spit on you. This Dwarf defended these lands, even as he was dying. I shall never be able to meet his measure. I have taken his place as woodburner, and have commissioned a tomb for him.

When this year comes to an end, I shall take up his sword. I will serve Rinsewind in place of him, unfitting to the task though I am. Even though it may one day mean my death.

OOC: Omigod Dutchling, I AM SO SORRY. I don't understand how it could even have happened, we have, now, after the battle, 401 units of booze. I don't know how you died of thirst. I'm sorry.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 25, 2011, 02:45:25 am »

I demand a tomb with at least two tame cave dragons and a lot of magma >.>

Nah, it doesn't really matter. I do wonder who I'll be when it is my turn. Maybe I'll be my ghost who possess one of the other dwarves for a year and than finds his rest or something like that. I do however demand that you store my body + weapon (if I have any kills) somewhere safe.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 02:48:48 am by Dutchling »

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 25, 2011, 03:22:42 am »

I was planning to forbid the tomb and everything in it so none of the dwarves would come in or disturb your rest.

You want the sword in there too? I'm not sure how to get it tossed in there with you. And I think you dried out before any combat happened.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25