Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25

Author Topic: "Rinsewind the First-Bolts" - A hole for craven cowards and misfits.  (Read 30598 times)

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: "Rinsewind the First-Bolts" - A hole for craven cowards and misfits.
« Reply #165 on: April 22, 2011, 11:35:15 pm »

Overseer's Log: 12th Felsite.

Working on getting bedrooms for every dwarf. Connected digging designations to new bedrooms. Tired. So much work to do, and so few doing it.

Unbelievably, certain dwarves refuse to change their current occupation. We have work that needs doing, and they are content to sit around, grooming their beards, claiming that they'll work when there are plants that need milling, or other nonsense. Bah.

Recent project has been shoring up our defenses. I ordered the construction of a bridge, though no progress has yet been made. I may need to design it myself. A lever has been set in place for it already though, so that's a plus. Also, have mandated the first row of weapon traps. Two are complete, so that's good. When the goblin hordes come to call, they will be in for some surprise. Ha ha.

In other news, an Elven Merchant caravan has been sighted on the high cliffs. I ordered goods brought to the trade depot immediately. I intend to have the new broker take them for all they are worth. I expect exotic booze and berries. And cloth. Lots of cloth. I'll write again shortly.

OOC: Sorry about the lack of pictures, I hope to get some up, at least in the summer season. On the other hand, not terribly much has changed, aside from the CRAZY influx of migrants. I almost think I may have to engineer an.... Unfortunate Accident for extras, if the migrants do not drop off considerably in the Summer and Fall.

Le Edit:
Overseer's Log: 5th Hematite.
Well, the trading was, more or less, what I expected. We picked up some new plants (including something called muck root. Don't ask me, I have no idea), as well as a couple bins of cloth, in case the mood strikes someone. Also grabbed some drink, not that we really need it. Still, best to be prepared. I have no intention of facing sobriety. The elves are still sitting in the Depot, but I have nothing more to trade with, so we'll not be wasting more time with them. If only their animals were strong enough to haul some of this loose stone...

The bridge has been constructed, and is being linked to the lever I mentioned in my previous entry. Also, the first row of disc traps is up. Automated defenses are strong, and with more serrated discs on the way, they can only be made stronger.

Sadly, steel is not being produced fast enough to keep up with our smiths. Better than not having any, I guess. I shall look into creating an additional smelter, as that is where the need lies.

Still working on housing all the migrants, but we're almost done with that. Of course, we can probably expect more this summer as well.

Addendum: opened up the indoor animal pasture, as some of the animals were fighting for space. Hope this placates them. We have over 50 animals, according to our bookkeeper. Seriously considering culling the herd.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 23, 2011, 04:19:55 am »

@me being a full time military dwarf
I'm cool with it, as long as you make me legendary and full clad in steel first :)

fallofthechosen

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAGMA_BATH: ENCOURAGED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 23, 2011, 06:44:04 am »

Awesome, I am dorfed!

Also, if I recall correctly, spring migrations are always massive compared to summer and fall, especially if you are churning out steel discs.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 23, 2011, 09:07:21 am »

Did you get any rope reed or sun berry seeds?  I couldn't find any rope reed seeds when I was plant gathering, and that was the only plants we were really missing.  (Well, besides silver barb, but I don't think we're getting that at all.)

Also, if you still are worried about food, we have geese, and I captured a couple ducks that were slated for taming.  I had a couple of nest boxes ordered, so there should be a couple of those, but I think eggs have to be cooked to be useful, so make sure you have a dedicated cook (breadbochs).

As for slaughtering, we have plenty of goats, which you can easily slaughter, but a lot of those animals are dogs, and you don't want to slaughter them, you want to train them into war dogs and use them in doberman bombs at the gates.  (Also, only adult goats 2 years old give full benefits for slaughter, so I'd hold off on that for now, unless you want to slaughter the breeding adults.)  Slaugthering kittens is a waste of time, unless you have a dedicated butcher.  Right now, Dutchling was the only butcher.  Just cage them so they don't cause problems.  There's a cage right next to the stairwell on the stockpile soil level filled with puppies and kittens. 

You can probably also tame the panda if you just appoint at least one of the dungeon masters.  You probably will have to butcher the panda, though, as it only eats bamboo, eats a lot of it, and it'll probably starve.

Speaking of which, those water buffalo eat a LOT of grass, and I had to keep them moving from pasture to pasture - if their pastures are completely barren sand, it's time to move their pasture further up the hill.

I somehow doubt you really need an additional smelter, as you only have two furnace operators, anyway.  I think I built three furnaces, but maybe I built two, but anyway, more furnaces than furnace operators isn't going to help production any.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 23, 2011, 10:18:02 am »

In my experience water buffalos aren't worth the micromanagement. They don't give that much meat but eat grass that would suffice for 10 goats which you don't have to babysit because they are to stupid to move 2 tiles to new grass on their own.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 23, 2011, 10:36:27 am »

In my experience water buffalos aren't worth the micromanagement. They don't give that much meat but eat grass that would suffice for 10 goats which you don't have to babysit because they are to stupid to move 2 tiles to new grass on their own.

Yeah, but a breeding pair came with the wagon, and I didn't have time to butcher them earlier, so I figured I'd just leave them there for a while. 

I like to give the goats at least a couple years of reproduction before I start butchering them. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 23, 2011, 11:59:01 am »

A few years? Guess you are breeding on a much larger scale then i usually do.

I normaly wait until i have a 5 females and one male of each species i breed and then keep the same amount form the first few batches of offspring while butchering the excess. When the kept animals mature i butcher the old breeders and keep a new batch of offspring. It wasts a lot of meat to butcher the children but you wont need many pastures and i usually need mainly the leather while food is rarely a concern in my forts.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 23, 2011, 01:01:18 pm »

@NW_Kohaku
two question...
1. Have you modded in extra noble positions? (besides the 1st DM and possiby philosopher)?
2. Where is your name from?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 23, 2011, 01:02:17 pm »

Yay! I'm in! ^_^
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 23, 2011, 02:27:39 pm »

OOC: Nope, no sunberries or rope reed seeds. Maybe we'll get some next year.
@Dutchling: Okie Dokie, I'll get you in full steel before Summer. I think you're halfway there already.
We have two smelters, and according to Dutchling's shiny new spreadsheet, we will eventually have four operaters. Plus, I keep getting Cancellation messages whining at me about how we need more steel. So yeah, we could use another smelter. I might do it myself. Then again, I've never gotten a chance to play with magma before, so maybe not...
One last thing. I won't be putting up any stonesense pics at all. For some reason, it's refusing to work. When I put up pics, it'll be in glorious ASCII.

Overseer's Log: 28th Hematite.

We almost had a terrible accident. Luckily, the traps in place prevented a tragedy. Urist Imiknorris was going to refill a cage trap, as we had caught a few badgers. Unfortunately, the rest of it's pack (Do badgers travel in packs? I'll ask one of the animal trainers, they'll know.) came to assault Urist. Quick thinking on his part, he ran straight through the weapon traps. One of the badgers was dumb enough to follow, and got disced. Blood's all around the trap area now, which is a shame. I've ordered that more traps be placed, as the stonefall traps didn't even slow the thing down. Urist seems to be handling it well, so that's good.

I was walking by one of the larger animal pens, and saw some of the water buffalo calfs attacking other animals. I made a few inquiries, and apparently we only have a single female. I ordered all but one male butchered. More meat on the table can't hurt, and I don't want the goats getting gored. Not to mention, the buffalo eat like locusts.

Armor production, my current priority, is as slow as ever. Seriously considering placing another smelter, and manning it myself. How hard can smelting be? On the other hand, I need to keep an eye on the rest of the fort. If I'm spending all my time over a furnace, it's likely little will get done.

Well, less.

Overseer's Log: 5th Malachite.

JohnnieRWilkins is acting bizarrely. I must keep an eye on him.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 23, 2011, 02:54:04 pm »

Can you make a badger arena for me? I'd like some live training :)

I also changed everyone in the spreadsheet to be orange if they are dorfed

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 23, 2011, 03:02:52 pm »

OOC: Nope, no sunberries or rope reed seeds. Maybe we'll get some next year.
@Dutchling: Okie Dokie, I'll get you in full steel before Summer. I think you're halfway there already.
We have two smelters, and according to Dutchling's shiny new spreadsheet, we will eventually have four operaters. Plus, I keep getting Cancellation messages whining at me about how we need more steel. So yeah, we could use another smelter. I might do it myself. Then again, I've never gotten a chance to play with magma before, so maybe not...
One last thing. I won't be putting up any stonesense pics at all. For some reason, it's refusing to work. When I put up pics, it'll be in glorious ASCII.

You need to turn off labors intelligently to maximize usage - smelting steel isn't a high priority, and both of your furnace operators have other jobs... and one of them is the self-same smith that is making the steel weapons and armor in the first place, which is part of the problem. 

If you really want to speed up iron production, make sure Ghills has all other labors besides furnace operation (temporarily) turned off.  (You need permission to turn labors people didn't sign up for on, but turning labors off to focus their efforts is fine.)

If there is a task you really need done, you should keep an eye on who is actually assigned those tasks, and make sure that you turn off their other labors.

Urist Imiknorris and NW_Kohaku are our only farmers... and they both have multiple labors on, as well.  Every time Urist is sent out to handle traps, she's not farming.  Every time NW_Kohaku is sent to the kitchen, or is making large pots to fill with booze, she's not farming.  If nobody farms, we have a problem.

Speaking of which, have you ordered the stills to produce more booze?  We were getting around to the time where we needed more, and it's a big problem if we run out.  Digging a resevoir is one of the things I didn't have time for.

If you aren't using Dwarf Therapist already, you really should do so, because you need to keep in mind exactly who is being sent to do what tasks, and how many other jobs they have - JohnnieRWilkins is both woodcutter and carpenter, but he can only do one at a time, and prefers to keep doing one as much as possible because of priorities. 

Anyway, if you want to make a magma smelter, plan out where you want to put that smelter first.  Dig out only the middle-top tile for the smelter, so that the hole you dig is covered up by the impassible tile for the smelter.  That way, fire snakes don't get out and dwarves don't fall in.

I didn't dig out a way to expand the current magma trench, unfortunately, so I'd recommend you not build extra magma furnaces anywhere but where the trench is already.  You definitely won't need more than what you have already, however.  Just dig out some extra stockpile space, and move southwards.  There's an extra set of trenches in the south of the magma furnace room, where I put the stockpiles. 

Also, pics are easy - just hit Print Screen, and then open up a regular image editing program, and hit Ctrl-V, and you'll paste a picture.  No need for fancy level export. 
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 23, 2011, 03:52:39 pm »

regarding pics,
please use img.ie, it is easy to use and you don't even need to sing up if you don't want to

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 23, 2011, 04:22:08 pm »

Can you make a badger arena for me? I'd like some live training :)

I also changed everyone in the spreadsheet to be orange if they are dorfed

I've heard of steel clad dwarves getting their drunken little limbs ripped off by badgers. Not thinking this is a good idea. Maybe as target practice for the marksdwarves. Might do that.

As for booze, we have 515 units. I stopped making more about a month ago, when we ran out of pots. I figured we had enough for a while, so I left that off. If it dips below two hundred, I'm turning it back on. I guess I didn't mention that in the logs. I meant to, honest!

Anyway...

Overseer's Log: 9th Malachite.

Found out why JohnnieRWilkins was behaving oddly. He claimed a Carpenter's workshop and some odds and ends. Apparently he's working on some secret project. I hope it's something we can weaponise.

I managed to get everyone into a bedroom just before a runner came to tell me that we had new migrants coming in. I 'welcomed' them to Rinsewind. There weren't that many, but it took me a whole day to get them squared away.

Here's the list.
Alastar - Architect
Slimy Marmot - Seige Engineering/Operating
Niyazov - Dungeon Master
xordea - cook
slothen - Armorer/cleaner
Monkeyhead - Stonecrafter/bonecarver
Torgan - Spinner
Lost Requiem - Brewer
Lishain - Marksdwarf

Have to get more beds made, as well as set up a nice space for Niyazov. Outcast fortress or no, a Dungeon Master is a Dungeon Master.

OOC: By the way, what's the name of that image hosting site? im.ge? Something like that?
Fake Edit: Thanks Dutchling!

Overseer's Log: 12th Malachite.

It's... It's beautiful. And valued at 2400 dwarfbucks...

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 23, 2011, 04:39:13 pm »

I am in - outstanding. Now get me churning out crap to spam the caravans with, rock pots and bone bolts please!
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25