Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25

Author Topic: "Rinsewind the First-Bolts" - A hole for craven cowards and misfits.  (Read 30595 times)

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: "Rinsewind the First-Bolts" - A hole for craven cowards and misfits.
« Reply #150 on: April 22, 2011, 02:11:28 am »

Overseer's Log: 13th Granite.

Apparently, a 'log' does not, in fact, have to be carved out of a log. The things you learn...

My takeover from the previous Overseer has been, to a point, a disaster. It has been brought to my attention that we have no military force whatsoever. Just a few stonefall traps with I believe six cage traps protecting us from the eventual goblin menace. I stubbed my toe in the ensuing tantrum. I am.... Less than pleased.

Also, almost two weeks from my order to smooth the Dining Room, and I just now received word that we do not, in fact, have an engraver. I attempted to assign someone to it, but everyone is busy. It would seem that no one listens to me. No wonder Kohaku went mad.

Our supply of iron is low, and I wish to conserve it for steel. The otherwise useless copper will be forged into serrated discs, and used to guard the entrance. Any silver that comes out of the tetrahedrite will be reserved for warhammers. Those will be useless, of course, unless I can talk someone into spearheading our defense. Relatedly, I've mandated mechanisms. Lots of mechanisms.

In an effort to bring steel production up to snuff, I've designated a wide section of red sand for clearing. I'm counting on spores taking root in the soil, and growing tower-caps and what-not. It'll be a slow-process, but it's better than waiting for just top-side trees, I guess. I'm no miner, but I think that, if we were going to find lignite or bituminous coal, we'd have found some kind of clue. As yet, we haven't. So, limited steel, at least for now.

It seems that, at least until I get an engraver here, my fortress improvement plan will have to wait. I'll have my work cut out for me keeping this place alive anyhow.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 22, 2011, 03:38:10 am »

My dorf is a swordsdwarf but as long as he does not have a lot of experience in it I'd rather have him to have a silver warhammer than a copper swords :)
Any chance we will get some (stonesense?) pics?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 22, 2011, 08:50:39 am »

My dorf is a swordsdwarf but as long as he does not have a lot of experience in it I'd rather have him to have a silver warhammer than a copper swords :)
Any chance we will get some (stonesense?) pics?

I put the save up, so you can use that as pictures, although not of anything since Blade Master started playing.  (And if he's only two weeks in, it's not like THAT much changed.)

I put the end-turn save on the second post for convenience.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 08:59:02 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 22, 2011, 09:30:53 am »

Also, almost two weeks from my order to smooth the Dining Room, and I just now received word that we do not, in fact, have an engraver. I attempted to assign someone to it, but everyone is busy. It would seem that no one listens to me. No wonder Kohaku went mad.

Our supply of iron is low, and I wish to conserve it for steel. The otherwise useless copper will be forged into serrated discs, and used to guard the entrance. Any silver that comes out of the tetrahedrite will be reserved for warhammers. Those will be useless, of course, unless I can talk someone into spearheading our defense. Relatedly, I've mandated mechanisms. Lots of mechanisms.

In an effort to bring steel production up to snuff, I've designated a wide section of red sand for clearing. I'm counting on spores taking root in the soil, and growing tower-caps and what-not. It'll be a slow-process, but it's better than waiting for just top-side trees, I guess. I'm no miner, but I think that, if we were going to find lignite or bituminous coal, we'd have found some kind of clue. As yet, we haven't. So, limited steel, at least for now.

It seems that, at least until I get an engraver here, my fortress improvement plan will have to wait. I'll have my work cut out for me keeping this place alive anyhow.

We have plenty of hematite and I left the game after having functionally clear-cut a 2x2 embark's worth of forest, and tapping out an entire hematite vein just east of the entrance, so we should have PLENTY of logs and hematite.

In fact, looking up my save, we have 82 pieces of hematite, 185 limestone, and 92 logs to use for the steel industry - you don't need to go hunting for more materials.

What you need to do is go into the labors of a dwarf like Dutchling, and make sure that you turn off other labors besides wood burning.  If you get a dwarf dedicated to burning those logs down to charcoal, you should have your steel industry running soon.

Also, look around the surface of that embark - there is a very large area that I have enclosed by making sure there are no surfaces with ramps, so everything is either wall or cliff.  That whole area is as protected as the rest of the fort is, since you have to go through the trap alley to get into it unless it's a flying creature.

Also, there's no reason to make copper weapons, just use iron if you can't wait for steel, but I'd just wait for steel, honestly.

I didn't set up a gem-maker or stone engraver because I was trying to get the industry (magma forges, atom-smasher, all applicable quarries) up and running.  Ignore the stupid exploratory mining for now, I was hoping the area had sphalerite, so I could sneak that into the ceramics, since we didn't have any granite or cassiterite. 

I just didn't start on the serious military (or opening up the west bank) because I thought you would have your own way of setting things up, and decided it was best to just let you play your own way unless I could make some major headway on the topic.  I didn't realize you were new to the game, or I would have left more notes on how to run everything.

Don't make serrated discs unless they are at least made of iron - there's no point if they can't pierce enemy armor, especially since setting up weapon traps will make the enemy sieges come sooner.

I also made some iron chains, but never got them installed so you might want to hook up some puppies to act as a kobold detection system.

Also, since NW_Kohaku is the only cook for right now (you need to make breadbochs a dwarf in the next migrant wave), I don't have anything cooking - be aware that ordering cooking will take NW_Kohaku away from making large pots.  Large pots are free and an alternative to making wood barrels for your booze.

I also believe the stills aren't running right at the moment that I passed over control - I ran out of barrels, and left it off for a while.  I left with 92 units of booze still in barrels, but it's definitely time to put Jake back to brewing.  With extra large pots, it should be easy.

If you want decorations, you can wait a little while, and the stoneware statues will be created and glazed, and we already have a legendary dining room with three statues and 10 sets of tables and chairs, alone.

Also keep in mind that JohnnieRWilkins is your primary carpenter AND your only woodcutter - designating trees to be cut down means that things will no longer be built in the carpentry shop.

Designating something for dumping will have it thrown into the pit that runs through the center of the fort - this pit leads to an atom-smasher, so dumping means that the items will be atom-smashed.  Designate excess stone or those 50 freakin' two-legged rhino lizard corpses for dumping, but be careful you don't accidentally dump something you want to keep by mistake.

The spreadsheet should help tell you who has what jobs  I recommend you declare migrants to be the people with the skills you need the most right now.

Finally, if you want to expand on the traps (which you will want to do since we have so few soldiers, and none of them are trained, and absolutely DO NOT put them in harm's way without full steel, we need to keep them alive,) what you can do is this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That will let you start building up the slop of the hill to expand the length of the death traps.  Eventually, we should be able to afford to build a guard tower near the entrance where our one or two marksdwarves can shoot down on invaders from above.

For now, see that empty area between the two rows of cage traps that don't have a bunch of stonefall traps?  Place the chains on the middle left and middle right of that area, and put two of the war dogs there.  (You don't want to put the dogs over traps, or they might set them off on themselves if they are injured, so that's why there's a clear space.)

Now, if you start cranking out plenty of iron serrated discs, replace the stonefall traps with the weapons traps, and try to move the whole row of traps forward - 15 rows of traps will stop almost any siege.  ESPECIALLY weapon traps.  (You don't need all 10 weapons, 4 iron saw blades is MORE than enough - also, giant axe blades and corkscrews cost half as much (and hence, make the sieges smaller) as serrated discs but do comparably overkill damage) I put the outer row of my traps to always be cage traps, though, just to catch wild animals that wander in. 

You can probably get Ethicalfive suited up in what steel armor we have right now, and trianing (the barracks is hotkey F8).  I only didn't do this already because I needed Dutchling working, and Dutcling is supposed to be militia captain, so I wanted to make him a soldier first. 

Ethicalfive is just fishing right now, and we already have plenty of mussel shells for any mood.  (I forbade most of them, don't unforbid the shells unless there's a mood and you need them.) 

Oh, and one last thing, since GreatWyrmGold is going to be the baron, it's important that, when the caravan comes, you buy the items GreatWyrmGold prefers that I ordered from the caravan, and make sure those items are then forbidden so that they aren't used up by accident until a mandate hits.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 09:45:23 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 22, 2011, 01:56:09 pm »

Me the militai captain? No way :P
I'm the captain of the guard, I only fight enemies if they already in the fortress. Isn't that the point of the guard (besides killing tutoring dwarves?)

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 22, 2011, 02:44:37 pm »

In fact, looking up my save, we have 82 pieces of hematite, 185 limestone, and 92 logs to use for the steel industry - you don't need to go hunting for more materials.

That is definately way more than enough to fully armour a squad or 2 of dwarves in steel. You aren't short on iron, flux, or fuel by any stretch of the imagination. Getting all that forged into steel gear should be top priority.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 02:46:25 pm by Patchy »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 22, 2011, 02:48:13 pm »

Oh?  I thought you were militia captain?

I guess nobody picked captain, then?

Well, make Ethicalfive captain, in that case. 

There's also three guys who want to be marksdwarves, so you can mass-produce some bolts for training and combat (they don't know how to switch between the two yet, so just give up on the notion that you can keep them from using the good stuff for training, and give them the easy-to-make stuff all the time) and go to town.

Making the crossbows from silver and giving them some hammer training isn't a bad idea, though. 

The ideal situation is to build a watch tower with fortification windows that look out over the approach to the fortress.  You can create floodgate "shutters" on the outside of the tower so that when the shutters close, the dwarves cannot see the enemy, and they can be instructed to reload their crossbows.  Make the only access to the inside of the tower a stairwell from below, and you can order your marksdwarves up into the tower, open the shutters, pepper your enemy with fire until they are out of ammo, close the shutters,  have them restock their ammo supply and move to the next tower, and then fire from there, as well.  If you make a long, twisting corridor over multiple z-levels, you can have the goblin invaders switch back and forth in front of your marksdwarves many times.

Oh, and one more thing - dirt floors can only grow trees if there is a dirt wall underneath.

In every other soil layer, I left nothing but the stairwells, so that there would be the ability to grow trees in the soil.  Only excavate every other layer of soil so that we can use those areas as tower cap farms later.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 22, 2011, 03:27:31 pm »

Thanks for the advice. I've been playing for less than a year now, and am used to setting a fort up a certain way, so your advice and insight is helpful.

Overseer's Log: 12th Slate.

Okay, things are starting to come back under control. I promoted the dwarf Dutchling as Militia Commander, and awarded him an exceptional steel short sword to use in the defense of Rinsewinds. He said he'd pick it up when he got around to it. I also appointed Ethicalfive as his subordinate. In truth though, they'll mostly be doing what they've been doing. If they find time for training, that's great, but right now the fortress needs food and steel.

I recieved word that several serrated discs had been completed, much to my relief. I ordered several stone fall traps deconstructed, to make room for the weapon traps. I also put a pair of kittens on guard duty at a key point in our defense. The way I see it, they are kittens, thus expendable, and they are also likely to spot thieves and snatchers. So, bonus.

The clearing of the san
The log abruptly ends here.

Overseer's Log: 15th Slate.

It took three days to process all the migrants. There were 22 new migrants. Twenty. Two. I can't believe it. We got some sorely needed professions (and a few less so), but now I have to deal with the logistical challenge of feeding and housing almost double our number.
As follows is the list of Migrants, along with the skills and professions they claim.
Joshuatar - Metalworker
Forumite - Brewer
Ahonek - Hammerdwarf/Hammerer
Ghills - Glassmaker/ Furnace Operater/ Hauler
DrKillPatient - Doctor/Axedwarf/Law Enforcement
Itnetlolor - Animal Caretaker
Buzzing Beard - Presser/Beekeper/Soapmaker
Geb - Trapper/Lye Maker
Ghostbird - Small animal disection/Milling/Plant Processing
Killer Clowns - Hauler
de5me7 - Engraver
Alluvian_Est-Ednrati - Engraver
Zaerosz - Herbalist
Agarthachides - Carpenter/Woodrcrafter/Woodburner
Vercingetorix - Bookkeeper
Truean - Miner/Hauler
Bdthemag - Soaper
Adamantine Fist - Miner
fallofthechosen - Swordsdwarf
Byakugan01 - Marksdwarf
Stormfeather - Marksdwarf
Armok - Seige Engineer/Operator/Broker

I'll have to make a few changes, surely, as well as mandate a few workshops. Gah.

Getting back to where I was before, it seems there is less sand than I thought. I cancelled most of the tree farm plans, because it seems that it's mostly bauxite and hematite. I'll find a use for the bauxite later.

I assumed new migrants to the military accordingly. A few veterans showed up, but both seemed more skilled in the spear than either axe or hammer. No matter. They've no other tasks, they'll improve quickly.

I don't think I'm cut out for this level of stress. Managing a fortress is no job for a mere hauler. I can only hope the rest of the year passes without incident. If not, well, I'll have to rely on our mechanics...

OOC: Kohaku, it's alright if I take you out of the Broker and Bookkeeper positions, right? I need to install the new dwarfs.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 22, 2011, 05:05:15 pm »

HAAAAHAHAHA!

That's what happens when you donate an exceptional quality serrated iron disc!  Half the civilization wants to move in with you!

Ah, good fun.... *sigh*

Ah well, now you don't have to worry about micromanaging everyone to maximum efficiency so much anymore.

Yeah, it's fine if you take me out of broker and record keeper.  I only had rank-2 or so skill levels, anyway.

Make sure you strain those guys for combat skills, so that your training period is faster.  Be sure you understand how to schedule your military, and don't be afraid to ask questions - it's a difficult topic for someone to master.  But basically, you want to get your soldiers to be dedicated soldiers now, so that they are properly trained for what's going to be thrown at them.

You're going to have very few soldiers for the sorts of sieges you will face, so you will need to make sure they are all heroes and they all have steel everything equipment (especially since we have no bluemetal) if they ever go into battle.  Honestly, I would just abuse the heck out of traps, though.  I also recommend setting up the western entrance to exploit a set of ballistae firing down the length of the hallway (you might actually want to flatten down one level of ramp, there, now that I think of it...)  so that you can just launch doom bolts down the hall. 

Set up spike traps on repeaters, saw blade weapon traps, and have your dwarves only fight from marksdwarf bunkers, and finally just seal the whole damn fortress off with a drawbridge so that they have to go BACK through the whole deathmaze to try to get across the river to the other entrance if they get too close, and you'll be able to handle anything they throw at you.

Remember, the key to victory no matter the odds is to never fight fair!

You could honestly get by doing whatever the hell you want so long as you build a drawbridge like this:

Also, you can just put those drawbridges (or additional drawbridges) at every entrance to the surface of the fortress.  So long as you throw the switch to seal off your whole fortress, you are invulnerable. 

It's generally considered really cheap behavior, but if you aren't very sure of yourself, having an emergency fortress turtle defense as a backup isn't a bad idea.

The advantage of putting a war dog on the leash at the entrance is that a war dog can actually have a decent chance of cutting down a kobold, while you have to worry about catsplosions with the cats you don't keep crammed in cages... we already have puppies in cages, so the individual war dogs are slightly more expendable, now. 

Also, I do think it would be a good idea to extend the number of traps a siege has to go through when you have the time and iron saw blades to spare - you can extend that front gate and all the traps in it as many times as you want, really -

You can even dig out a region, and make them go through multiple z-levels up and down to get to the open area (and set up a marksdwarf tower later so that a set of marksdwarves can fire upon the same enemies multiple times by just going down a z-level to the next section of the bunker).

Anyway, a little thing about my methodology with workshops - I dig my workshops out directly below my stockpiles, so that no workshop is ever more than 10 or so steps from a stockpile.  Every stockpile you add in a linear row is 3 or 4 more steps to get to the stockpile if you build horizontally.  You can cram 6 workshops off of one set of stairs, so that every 6 workshops is 1 extra step to get to a workshop.  Then you just stamp out another one of those hexagons the next stockpile over.  (I normally segregate the types of workshops I put in a stack by what materials they use, but I put all the workshops into one common area to save myself some time on that one.)

Also, I pre-designated some of the residential space, you just need to actually build the hallway over to the designated areas.  I think I had a half dozen beds left over, and had beds, barrels and bins on repeat with the carpentry workshop. 

Also, feel free to turn on or off NW_Kohaku's farming labor, depending on how things work out.  (You might also want to turn off Urist Imiknorris's mechanics if you want her to focus on just farming.)  We have plenty of food when you consider things like the 140 quarry bush leaves, 70 pieces of alligator and water buffalo meat, fish, cheese I bought from the caravan, etc.  We just need to have Jake actually brewing some alcohol again, and making sure that you don't boozecook your alcohol, while you're at it.

Oh, and you should probably retroactively make one of the dwarfed dwarves breadbochs - that's our cook.  We need a dedicated cook.  We need one more than two soapers, anyway.  If you take cooking off of my characters, and put it on breadbochs (who would probably be best served replacing bdthemag for right now, breadbochs was one of the first to sign up, anyway), then my character should have more time for farming or making ceramics.

Oh, and remember that I have that glazing mod on, although you won't be able to do much besides find neat new colors to make your ceramic stuff without cassiterite or sphalerite (be sure to order lots of sphalerite from the caravan, I know they offered it)

... Man, I type a lot.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 22, 2011, 05:50:47 pm »

:D I'm alive!

I'm designated as a furniture-only hauler, right?
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 22, 2011, 06:07:53 pm »

Oh, and one last thing, Blade Master Model 42, you should probably turn off all "your" normal hauling labors, set up another wood furnace, and start producing charcoal non-stop if you really want to speed up steel production.

Dutchling was our only wood burner, if I recall.  If you make Dutchling full-time military, you're crippling your steel-making potential.  You'll have to pick up the slack yourself to make up for it. 
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 22, 2011, 07:12:58 pm »

:D I'm alive!

I'm designated as a furniture-only hauler, right?

Uh...

*taptaptappitytaptap*

Yes. Yes you are.

As for turning Dutchling full-time military, I have to ask. If that does happen, my dwarf self will take over as woodburner, certainly. So, how 'bout it Dutchling?

Also, I don't believe in catsplosions. Only butcher shops.

I probably will build at least the one bridge at the fort entrance. Cheap or no, this is Rinsewind. Risk averse behavior, remember?

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 22, 2011, 07:14:52 pm »

Seems like we will hit our full headcount before the end of the year. In case i get dwarfed soon i would prefer a devout follower of "Edir Prowlforks the Poison of Hate" and drop the Lord, Braindead is sufficent unless i become a noble for some reason.

Are there any plans what we will do with the caverns in the future? Open them completely? Wall of a large area? Ignore them?
Considering our low number of soldiers and the [TRAPAVOID] a single forgotten beast could wipe us out but its kind of boring to turtle.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 22, 2011, 09:19:19 pm »

OK, back up to Autumn immigrants.
GreatWyrmGold (a gem setter with the following prefs: claystone, rose gold, tanzanite, crystal glass, dark brown (the color of everyone's skin, I'll point out...  racist?) earrings, splints, longfin mako sharks, and rubber trees.  We don't actually have all of those things, and crystal glass is a problem due to bugs, but we can trade for claystone, tanzanite and raw crystal glass gems (which we can then cut), meaning we have those as long as we have a dwarven caravan.
I'm a bit nervous, but I don't know all of what you have so I trust you.
If he likes one thing you can't get, unavoidable. Two, okay, maybe better luck next time. If most of his mandates are unfulfillable, I'm gonna ask to be redwarfed as soon as his position opens up (which likely won't be long). I don't expect to be redwarfed, but I'd still ask.

More migrants.  One calls herself "leader", wants to be baron of this hole.  Whatever.  Let her have it.  Also calls self "GreatWyrmGold".  Not sure what that means, but it sounds pretentious.
Some dwarf hasn't heard of D&D...

Oh, and I should record the requests they had, I suppose.[/font]
SPLINTS have the highest price jump? And my dwarf likes splints? Oh, frabjous day! This is kinda cool!
I feel vaguely copy-off-of-a-famous-poem-etic sometimes.
...Or is that what you requested from the mountainhomes, in which case slightly less cool?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 22, 2011, 09:49:28 pm »

you'll probably forbid export of them though
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25