Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25

Author Topic: "Rinsewind the First-Bolts" - A hole for craven cowards and misfits.  (Read 30589 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: "Rinsewind the First-Bolts" - A hole for craven cowards and misfits.
« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2011, 02:35:49 pm »

OK, back up to Autumn immigrants.

I tried to constuct the screw pump, but I can't build it because there are stones in the way.  I can't move the stones because nobody bothers to dump or haul anything.  Without the screw pump, we don't have a magma furnace area to make stuff with, so this is kind of holding the whole fortress back.

I dug out a garbage shaft and built an atomsmasher.  I'm going to tie it up to an aquifer-based repeater.  That should help a little, but only if haulers actually dump things.

Following are now dwarfed:

Rolan7 (had rank 10 masonry, but we only had one mason in the list, and had mining, and we could use a crappy miner so I don't have so much freakin' stone everywhere blocking my constructions)

GreatWyrmGold (a gem setter with the following prefs: claystone, rose gold, tanzanite, crystal glass, dark brown (the color of everyone's skin, I'll point out...  racist?) earrings, splints, longfin mako sharks, and rubber trees.  We don't actually have all of those things, and crystal glass is a problem due to bugs, but we can trade for claystone, tanzanite and raw crystal glass gems (which we can then cut), meaning we have those as long as we have a dwarven caravan.)

Johuatar (need a blacksmith and such)

Ethicalfive (fisherdwarf/swordsdwarf... someone walked in with military skills and fishing.)

Khift (have a guy with pottery)

AdeleneDawner (we need cloth-stuff for bags, because the guy only was novice glazing)

Also, dutchling, I've been trying to use the spreadsheet you put up as my guide to who has what labors, but you haven't been updating it recently.  Adelene Dawner has clothesmaking, but the sheet says nobody has any clothesmaking skill.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2011, 02:41:45 pm »

11th of Sandstone and 687 frames.  126.

I haven't written in a while. 

I figured I should start again, because it apparently keeps me sane.

Sanity is a problem now, I counted a little while ago, and my SAN score is down to 37.

I didn't even know I had a numerical, countable trait for sanity until I dropped below precisely 42 SAN.  Apparently, these are integers, as well, for easier scorekeeping.  Aren't the Gods nice about keeping things easily accounted?

More migrants.  One calls herself "leader", wants to be baron of this hole.  Whatever.  Let her have it.  Also calls self "GreatWyrmGold".  Not sure what that means, but it sounds pretentious.

Have to crush stones.  Built atom-smasher and garbage chute.

Urist Imiknorris came up with idea for repeater based upon aquifer.  That will power the atom-smasher, and keep it running.

Drafted one of the migrants as a miner.  Now we have two.  Digging is a little faster, and we are digging constantly.  Going to need smasher soon, since we have too much stone.

13th Sandstone 174 frames, 126

Addendum: Caught panda. 

We set up traps to keep out the skulkers and maybe some alligators.

Panda was unexpected.  Did panda mistake dwarf for bamboo?

No, stupid.  Must be spy.  Must be spies from mountainhomes, come to make sure we die.  Must cut open panda and prove spyness.  Will order panda butchered.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 02:50:58 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2011, 03:27:48 pm »

21st Sandstone and 735 frames, 126

Magma pump finally working.  Patchy filling magma trench now.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Space for repeater excavated.

Things going well for change, except for panda.

Trouble handling panda to get it cut open.  Will leave in stockpile for now.

Displayed near front door, show people what happens to spies.

Soon, I will be making pottery again. 

Pottery heal mind.  Make numbers go away.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 04:15:06 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2011, 06:07:10 pm »

12th Timber and 1015 frames, 126

Traders arrived.

Kiln not ready.  No craftsdwarves but me and other potter.  Masons taking too long.

Will forgive, masons working on floodgates for repeater.

Metalsmith made two serrated iron sawblades before started smelting steel.  Sawblades and some dinners I made all we have to trade.  Hope they enjoy alligator brain biscuits.  Brains are part that keeps sane.

Should be enough for caravan of this size.

21st Timber and 217 frames, 126

Heh, they couldn't figure out how to get into our fortress for over a week.  I enjoyed that, and the laugh helped clear my mind.

One of Vandersleld's serrated blades was a masterwork.  I can practically buy their entire caravan with just one.  It's all I can do to keep from sneering at them in triumph when they stare at what we have accomplished in this place where we were sent to die, but instead turn around and buy out everything they own with some of our scraps.

Still... what an odd bunch of junk.  Who wants a steel TOY axe out here? We don't even have any kids around.

I could not do it this year, this year it was too busy, but next year, I will have my kilns.  I will show them what my experiments in glazing pottery can do.  I will buy their whole caravan with one of my ceramic crafts.  Then they'll see who they shoved out of their fortress.

For now, I gift them with one of the serrated discs.  I play the part of a good trader.  Smile and nod and flatter. That should bring more goods to buy off them next year.

Next year...

Oh, and I should record the requests they had, I suppose.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 06:11:47 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 21, 2011, 07:37:33 pm »

If you still need someone to haul stuff, I can take that, temporarily.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 21, 2011, 07:46:37 pm »

Okay, well, I have returned. My week out turned into three days, so I can take my turn as scheduled, it would seem.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 21, 2011, 08:45:04 pm »

Obsidian something.  126.

Working on my ceramics gives me focus.  The powdered stibnite gives my ceramics color.  A dark color.  Some are covered in golds, which turn a bright orange.

Some more spies tried to breach our defenses.  This time they came in the form of ducks, but I hardly remember.

We have a wall, we have traps, we have an atom smasher, we have magma forges, we have food, we have a dining hall graced with statues fired from my kiln and the kiln of that other potter, Khift.

The animals breed yet again.  I grow weary of caring.

The focus calms my mind, and now that I am no longer in immediate danger of dying, I grow to care less about managing everything myself. 

Let some other "leader" take things over, I suppose.  That GreatWyrmGold I put up in those large rooms, or some other dwarf.  I don't care much anymore.

I was told that some of the dwarves are trying to set up some sort of rotational system of command.

Sounds laughably silly to me, but I care not. 

I have everything I need.  That's all that matters.

(I'm putting the save up on DFFD now... First Year Complete Save)
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 21, 2011, 08:55:40 pm »

Well, that was both a little stressful and also a bit fun.

I tried to strain to get as much as I possibly could accomplish done in a single year, and I managed to get almost everything I wanted complete... although the whole place is a total mess because I haven't been making sure to prevent my expansion until after I can sweep everything up.

This fort has no particular layout in mind, although it's mostly built around a central stairwell for now.

I excavated the entrance to the west bank of the stream, but didn't actually "breach" the surface, because I knew I wouldn't be able to fortify it in time for the next turn.  I'll leave it up to BladeMaster42 to decide how to go about that.  As a tip, I recommend using that ramp-cutting trick - it is massively faster to cut away ramps than it is to build stone walls, so try to find a decent-sized area to cut away, and look for narrow choke points to fill in with regular walls (or just cut away a trench with no ramps).

The only thing I didn't do was train a military.  The only one I could really spare was that fisherdwarf/swordsdwarf (I think Ethicalfive), and I didn't want to go ahead with it until I got more steel equipment.  I only had a steel sword, shield, breastplate, and greaves.  The steel production line is hamstrung by a lack of charcoal which is bottlenecked at having dwarves like Dutchling find time to burn the charcoal.

Anyway, it's a bit of a mess, but everything is operational.  Unless you guys don't build up the defenses enough for sieges, or do something !!Fun!! like leave open a hole to the caverns or have an uncontrolled aquifer breach from below, we should be able to keep this thing running smoothly.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2011, 09:20:20 pm »

Yup, okay, turns out I'm dumb as a box of rocks. I have NO idea how in the seven magma pools I'm supposed to put these files into my copy of dwarf fortress. Where is the Save Folder?

This is my first community fort, and I'm already lost...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 21, 2011, 09:28:39 pm »

Yup, okay, turns out I'm dumb as a box of rocks. I have NO idea how in the seven magma pools I'm supposed to put these files into my copy of dwarf fortress. Where is the Save Folder?

This is my first community fort, and I'm already lost...

Put that save in your ".../DF_31_25/data/save/" folder.  Extract it there.  You should rename it from Rinsewinds-spr-127 to just Rinsewinds.

Make sure you go into your ".../DF_31_25/data/init/d_init.txt" and change the "[POPULATION_CAP:200]" to "[POPULATION_CAP:68]".

If you don't know what you're about to do, feel free to ask questions, definitely...
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 21, 2011, 09:38:04 pm »

Yay, NOT SUCK!

In case that wasn't clear, Rinsewinds is now operating once again!

Story to come, once I'm done familiarizing myself with the fort.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 21, 2011, 09:47:24 pm »

Yay, NOT SUCK!

In case that wasn't clear, Rinsewinds is now operating once again!

Story to come, once I'm done familiarizing myself with the fort.

Don't be shy about questions.  I know I don't exactly build things for the purpose of being easily understood, and I make things fairly vertical, so you might want to make sure you have some easier-to-hit z-level-up and z-level-down keys.

(I recommend 5 and 0, without shift or control as up and down keys for ease of use.)

I tried to move everything down out of the sand layers so that nether cap trees wouldn't cover everything up.  There are still some lingering workshops up above, though.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 21, 2011, 10:53:38 pm »

The following has been carved meticulously into a large hunk of wood.

1st Granite: Overseer's Log.

Well, it seems the previous Overseer has, well, stepped down, I suppose one would say. It's very irregular. Traditionally, the only way one stops handling a fort would be either replaced by a noble, or die. Mostly the latter. Kohaku has done neither of these. He stormed into the Dining Hall while I and a few others were on break, and announced that he was done leading us. Not that I'd paid close attention (as I am a lowly hauler), but I'd thought he'd been doing a fair job. On the other hand, he was mumbling about "Sanity scores..." and "The dogs are d's, d's..." So maybe this isn't all bad.

Soon after, the others began discussing some sort of 'rotation system' to deal with the issues of "over-exertion-by-command". I'm not sure what that means. When all was said and done, I'd been chosen to lead us for the next year. I'm not entirely certain of the merits of their decision.

In any case, this log is being written for several reasons. Firstly: In the event that some unfortunate accident should befall me, I would like that this log be sent back to my parents. Perhaps knowing that their son was Overseer of a fortress (Even a doomed hole like this), would give them some happy thoughts.
Secondly: Despite what others may think, I intend to always proceed with Rinsewinds reputation and safety in mind. We have already harnessed the blood of Armok, so building this fort into a mighty outpost should not be too difficult. I hope.
Thirdly: That I might notice if my sanity, like predecessor, begins to slip.

Moving forward. As my first order of business, I ordered the construction of a Jeweler's Workshop, as a Got It00 Archspoon had been doing not much of anything. When I asked Got about his job, I was informed his specialty was gem working. After checking the records, it appeared we didn't have one, so I told him to make one. I also ordered quite a lot of additional gold and gems mined out. I also assigned the making of crafts for next year's caravan, as well as the smelting of tetrahedrite ore. I'm hoping for silver, but I'm sure we can find a use for the vast amounts of copper I expect.

I've also ordered the surfaces in the Dining Room to be smoothed. The statues are nice, of course. But engravings are where the money is, so to speak.

Really, my goal will be to improve living conditions for all the dwarves sent to this outpost. We may have been sent out here to die in the wilderness, but, if we work hard enough, the Mountainhomes may one day recognize our talents and intelligence, and bring us back into the fold.

I'm a slightly bemused by the vertical nature of this fortress, as in the mountainhomes, even across multiple floors, sprawl generally went outward, rather than up and down. Still, I am sure that I'll be able to adapt.

Blade Master.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2011, 12:41:56 am »

Technically, I'm a "she".

We don't have any stone smoothers (unless you make yourself one), so that shouldn't actually do anything.

Also, there's no reason to go for copper and silver when you have iron and limestone.  You need to make steel first up, and equip a handful of dwarves for the army so you can start getting them trained. Once you have steel for the army, you can make copper furniture or something if you want, but there isn't any need when you can make most of that stuff out of glass or ceramics, anyway, and glass and ceramics come in unlimited supply.

Working on making the fortress a better place to live is good and all, but keep in mind we don't have a military, those traps aren't thick enough to stop a siege, and the game is set to have sieges early, so you might be getting some as early as this turn.  Preparing the defenses of the fortress by getting Dutchling, EthicalFive, and Patchy suited up in steel and training as soon as possible should be your highest priority.  Maybe you can make up some of the difference with lots of weapons traps with iron serrated discs, though.

Gems are a waste of time early on in the fortress.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 22, 2011, 01:04:26 am »

Do note that the serrated discs with their high value, will bring the gobbos a lil faster. So if you make the discs get them set in the traps asap cause they'll be needed soon, otherwise don't make them yet. The 2nd year is essentially crunch time in forts to prepare for the coming hordes. All efforts should be on defense. Anyways looking good so far. I tend to play my first 2 years in wealth control mode.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25