Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25

Author Topic: "Rinsewind the First-Bolts" - A hole for craven cowards and misfits.  (Read 30610 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: "Rinsewind the First-Bolts" - A hole for craven cowards and misfits.
« Reply #120 on: April 18, 2011, 03:13:42 pm »

Maybe I should stop wearing those pants made of alligator feed :V

Apparently, you're wearing alpaca wool trousers and a grizzly bear leather dress.

Oh, and sorry for having RL over the weekend, and not really updating.  I'll be slammed on Tuesday, as well, but I'll make sure I have this ready to pass off on the next person by Friday.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 18, 2011, 03:33:07 pm »

1st Hematite, 126

Summer here.  Less and less time.  Writing fast.

Records to keep.  Walls to oversee.  Have to order each building order.  Tell nitwits where not to stand.

Fortunately, much of work easy if tell miner where to cut away ramps of loose stone.  Natural walls.  Faster to build.  Already there.  Just put walls in the thin level areas, and use the cliffs to wall off most of the area.

Many walls built.  Mostly secure now.  Unless they fly.  Armok, don't let them fly.

Building wall on river.  Won't be able to cage more gators if they come, but worry about that later.  For now, no more gators.

We can set up more traps if we expand into the west bank.  For now, the east bank is secured. 

Quarrying limestone to build the wall.  Had to dig more.  We're kind of close to undermining our own walls.  Must make sure that's architecturally secure.

Keeping accurate records takes up too much of my time that I don't already spend gathering some of the last plants or sewing some seeds or designating new areas.  Plus I need to start cooking if I want a warm meal.

Starting to see numbers everywhere.  Should try keep sane.

Don't get paid enough for this mess.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 18, 2011, 03:50:15 pm »

Hey, numbers are awesome!

Anyways, we should harness my alligator attracting power for something productive.

Like a bear cavalry, but with alligators!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 18, 2011, 07:37:28 pm »

Hey, numbers are awesome!

Anyways, we should harness my alligator attracting power for something productive.

Like a bear cavalry, but with alligators!

That requires catching one.

Anyway, hopefully, we'll get migrants soon, and I'll have the labor to actually get things running without manually ordering and then canceling jobs to herd individuals around.

Having a carpenter/wood cutter is annoying, because it doesn't find a balance between cutting down trees and then actually making something with the log.  He keeps going until he runs out of trees, then cuts down every tree in the area without using any wood until I manually de-select all the trees to force him to get some work done in the carpentry workshop.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 18, 2011, 07:43:47 pm »

But wouldn't you feel safer with some pet war gators guarding the entrance instead of those tiny little poodles we have right now? xD

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 18, 2011, 09:08:40 pm »

But wouldn't you feel safer with some pet war gators guarding the entrance instead of those tiny little poodles we have right now? xD

A.  I will remind you that three of those "tiny little poodles" killed a gator... before I trained them to be attack dogs.

B.  There are no more alligators on the map, so it's out of my hands, anyway.  (The alligator that ran up the mountain apparently felt like going on a nature hike up the side of the mountain, and walked off the edge of the map, apparently... That or it choked on a fairy, but it doesn't appear on the units list anymore, regardless.)

Ah, there's nothing like the changing colors of... Summer?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The swamps are "hot", the forests and mountain are "warm"... don't you just love some of those quirky things where the grass only dies in the patches of the land that are in certain biomes, but doesn't die in others?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 18, 2011, 09:49:18 pm »

28th Malachite, 126

Woke up at desk.  Call came that migrants had arrived.

Good.  Someone else to do work.  Someone else can do figure out how to smelt some iron.

Need iron for the screw pump for the magma furnace's magma resevoir.  I'll feel better when I have a kiln again.

Been waking up at desk alot lately.  Starting to see more than just numbers everywhere.  Starting to see "the code". 

Three nights ago, I woke up to my dog wanting to go relieve itself.  I swear, for a moment, all I saw was a "d".  Just this lowercase gray "d" where a dog should be.

Must keep sane.

Start by figuring how to make migrants do stupid jobs for me.

I hear two have smithing skills.  Good, they build the stupid pump.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 18, 2011, 10:32:27 pm »

The following have been dwarfed:

Scaraban  (Carpenter migrant)
Vandersleld (Weaponsmith migrant.  First weaponsmith on the list)
GotIt_00  (Only gemsetter we have in the list)
Patchy (Dwarf has odd skills like observer and armor user and striker, so I just went with Patchy because I'll need a pump operator very soon.)
Ghostbird (miller migrant)
BladeMaster42 (General Hauler)
Killer Clowns (General Hauler)

Also, the female animals have started birthing en masse!

There are 6 puppies total.  Also, the migrants brought a couple of bunnies and a gosling.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 10:55:46 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 18, 2011, 11:36:04 pm »

Oh good, I'm dorfed.

Less than good news, I'm going to be out of the house for a week, so I'll have to ask my turn be moved back. Sucks, but oh well.

Guess I'll have to wait for some of you guys to get things running before I drive the place into the ground. Not in a good way.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 19, 2011, 08:56:16 am »

Do we have our turns planned yet?
I though we were doing this a few days each but it seems everyone has a week or so what will definitely be useful.
I'd like to be at least in the first 5 or so

ps: I like the journal :)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2011, 10:32:53 am »

Do we have our turns planned yet?
I though we were doing this a few days each but it seems everyone has a week or so what will definitely be useful.
I'd like to be at least in the first 5 or so

ps: I like the journal :)

Bottom of the second post.  You're in the fifth slot, although if BladeMaster42 backs up, then maybe you'll slide up a slot.

I thought the standard for these things was that people had a week of real time to play a year of game time?

I guess I should put that up there, too.

My power went out, so I lost everything past the Autumn seasonal backup save.  (And the journal post I had in the buffer.)  I have stuff to do tonight, so maybe Wednesday, I should be done, but definitely Thursday.  (And I only started on Saturday, since I had to wait a couple days for you guys to respond on what dwarves you picked up.)

I'm actually a bit surprised by how quickly I managed to get things going.  I still haven't started working on a military, though, which is probably bad since I've got Patchy there as mostly a dedicated speardwarf (although for now, setting traps is fine.)  I've gotten the entire east bank enclosed, with plenty of wooded land and grazing area.  I've breached the caverns to get the cave moss and tower caps growing in the soil layers.  The soil layer is 4 z-levels deep in places, so I'm digging out extra area to start a tower cap farm and underground grazing area, as well as a stockpile area.

I have designed modular housing units (just designate the stairs to be dug down to them), although they're filled with stones (Mecro legendaried really fast what with all that soil I was digging through), and I don't have any stonecarvers yet, but we've got masons, so I guess I might as well start making extra doors or something.  I have a dining hall, but it's undecorated.

I have the magma trench excavated, and the furnace area prepared, but I haven't set up the magma pump yet.  When I get that done, I should have free glass, clay, and iron production up and running.  Then we can get armor and weapons.

Until then, the area is boxed off, and invaders have to pass through 3 layers of cage traps and 5 layers of stonefall traps to attack us.  I'll put a couple bunnies or something out as a kobold detector.  I need ropes first, though.  I just got a thresher, and we've had a few pig tails come in, so we can start up the basics of the textile industry.  Of course, if I get magma forges, I guess there's no reason not to use iron chains.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 19, 2011, 11:46:16 am »

Kind of figured she wouldn't be able to get armed and armoured right off the bat anyways. So did set her up with some civvy skills to be useful with, and prevent unhappiness from military shift changes. All my military dwarves do some time in the pump gyms just like good old 40d days. And feel free to activate hauling on her if needed.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2011, 09:20:18 am »

I thought that was the list of dorfed players.
I'll be happy to be fifth :)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 20, 2011, 09:37:50 am »

Aw, I'm only 6th?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 20, 2011, 11:05:55 am »

I'm not on the list yet, but that's alright because I need to learn a lot about the recent versions or I'm gonna die (and bring you all with me!)
I've played a couple new-version fortresses, let's just say they were a lot of Fun  ;)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25