Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25

Author Topic: "Rinsewind the First-Bolts" - A hole for craven cowards and misfits.  (Read 30545 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

A note is written in fairly neat handwriting, the first pages of a tattered collection of papers from a badly-bound book with no cover.

Last will and testament of "Expedition Leader's Journal" of N. W. Kohaku, Obsidian 24, 125.

I never shoulda started dabbling in alchemy.  Just stick to pottery, pretty colors and creative decorations.  Kept my head down low, and never rocked the boat.

We were evicted.  Brushed aside.  Put where we wouldn't be of too much of a nuisance.

It was in between the lines, but it was scrawled in pretty bright ink.  The others, some of them don't seem to want to acknowledge it, some don't seem like they're all there to begin with.  Probably while they're with us in the first place.

In fact, I think our miner's a psycho.  The daft dwarf's a rookie who's never swung anything but a pick, but swears he's some great soldier.  Keeps claiming he'll "pick someone's nose" like it's a joke. 

And he's our only miner, too. 

Whelp, it looks like, in the interests of living through our first Winter, I just got volunteered to be in charge of this cockamamie concentration camp.  I guess that means I'd better figure out how to get that miner to point the pick at the dirt, and not my skull before we actually get there, or we're all gonna die.

We're coming up close to the place now.

"Rinsewind the First-Bolts" they call it.

Supposedly, it's going to be a great retreat for nobles who wish to avoid the front lines of the war.  It's really a place to stuff the lazy and the cowardly - and the dangerous.  I guess I'm in that last camp. 

We're the front guard, the first seven of a few dozen, including several nobles and some overabundance of smiths who wanted away from the front lines. 

I think I'm here because I took up some farming on the side, to get some more reagents for my alchemy, and I'm going to be stuck with farming for the rest of my life in whatever hole I manage to get the miner to dig us.

We've also got some woodcutter with us, I don't know what he did to get himself banished, but I'm guessing it has something to do with his sparkling personality.  He seems one of the few others who are on the level, though.  Hope he's mentally stable enough to trust with an axe, because he's the only one who knows how to use one.

Speaking of using weapons with deadly intent, our "doctor" seems to be carrying around the largest scalpel I've ever seen.  And the "doctor" seems intent on first causing maximum harm with said scalpel.  Our "doctor" will be on the other side of the camp from me.

Well... At least my life's not going to be boring.  And if I die, I guess I won't be missing this place too much.

Might as well get to strikin' the Earth. 

After all, it would be impolite to come up to Death's doorstep and not go knockin' on His door.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 05:22:39 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Rinsewind the First-Bolts" - A hole for craven cowards and misfits.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 08:21:06 pm »

(Out of Character, again:) Somehow, I seem to do "extreme pessimist" very well.

This is a game based upon a particular thread asking "what would you be if you were in a typical Dwarf Fortress".  In it, almost everyone came out as "smith" or "dungeon master", at first, and the joke came up that the only thing that would make a DF player actually start taking up risk-averse behavior would be to actually be in the fortress, themselves.

Players who want to join have to pick the sort of job that "They" would want to be if they were in the fortress.  Generally speaking, this means you want to not die and not have to do very hard labor, which is partly why we have so few haulers and so many nobles. 

I'm picking our starting seven based more upon who has the jobs we actually need to survive than upon who spoke up first for right now, but everyone who comes in from the subsequent migrant waves comes in order of appearance in either the old thread or this one, once we get going.

Dutchling

Our starting seven include
  • NW_Kohaku - Farmer, Potter, Glazer, Alchemist
  • Mecro910 - Miner, "Fighter"
  • JohnnieRWilkins - Woodcutter, Carpentry
  • Darvi - Masonry
  • Jake - Brewer
  • Dutchling - Doctor skills, swordsdwarf, captain of the guard
  • Urist Imiknorris - Farmer, Mechanic

Pre-Embark save - http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4210
List of players:
  • NW_Kohaku End-turn save
  • Blade Master Model 42 End-turn save
  • Dutchling
  • Darvi
  • agatharchides
  • Ghills
  • Geb
  • Adelene Dawner
  • breadbocks
  • Lord Braindead
  • Urist Imiknorris
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 12:45:35 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 08:21:32 pm »

Finally, we have to agree on special rules for this fort.

One of the "house rules" would have to be that you can only change "your" dwarf's jobs without permission.  Anyone else's jobs, you have to ask their explicit permission to make their dwarf do another job.  Hence, we're going to have labor troubles.  (I'll probably wind up doing damn near everything near the start, I'm sure... But I'm sure I'll make a lovely cook.)

I can mod in certain things, like making extra slots for Dungeon Masters that are appointable.  That would make for the amusing "extra nobles" we had.  I can try to put in something like six barons and six dungeon masters.

What guidelines should I use when picking an embark, everyone?  I think I'll generate a small world to keep the sizes small, since we aren't going to be exploring much, anyway.  Since community forts tend to wind up with serious FPS problems, I think we might also do well with having only 1 cavern layer, as well.  You get all the Fun stuff of all the cavern levels in the single cavern level if you only have one, anyway, so we aren't missing anything, and it keeps FPS from becoming problematic. 

I could also gen the world without the HFS and bluestuff.  Opening HFS is probably gameover, anyway, by FPS death if nothing else.  And Bluestuff just makes the game too easy, anyway.  Depends on how many of you think "it's not DF without bluestuff".

Considering the selection of jobs that people have had, I'm thinking we are better off in a place with a LOT of wood to cut down, and also with clay.

Lastly, I was currently working on a mod having to do with making extra glaze materials, so that I could use cinnibar and stibnite and zinc and some other minerals as glaze materials instead of just tin and ash.  It also uses milling the ore stones down so that a "glaze powder" is stuffed in a container before glazing, which is a minor extra step in the chain, but makes the materials stretch out further, since 1 ore makes 5 powders.  I can take it out if you guys want a "more vanilla" game, although it shouldn't interfere too much with how you play the game.  I don't care much either way, it's up to you guys.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 09:29:47 pm »

Definitely second only changing 'your' Dwarf's profession. Also, no danger rooms (None of us would want to step in there), and... Well, I can't think of any more restrictive rules. I'm sure someone else will think of them.

I think a 3x3 embark with 1 cavern would definitely help fps issues, as well as playing on a pocket world. I have a very, very old computer, and it's a very visible difference running a pocket size world versus a standard size.

As for noble/glazing mods, I have no position on the glazing, as I don't really do that, and it certainly doesn't sound gamebreak-y to me. Will the noble mod stick going from folder to folder? I don't have much experience with modding, so I ask out of ignorance.

Lastly, I want a turn.

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 10:45:40 pm »

A third on the "only change your dwarf's profession" rule. I would also be alright with the no danger room rule.

I support the excess noble rule (all those mandates...ALL THE MADNESS).
As a totally unrelated rule, I think we should complete each Noble demand or die to the best of our ability.

You might want to have one Baron appoint the others. I don't know how the liaison will react to promoting 6 dwarfs at once.
How will we handle NPC dwarfs? atom smash? lava? slave labor?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 10:52:18 pm »

Definitely second only changing 'your' Dwarf's profession. Also, no danger rooms (None of us would want to step in there), and... Well, I can't think of any more restrictive rules. I'm sure someone else will think of them.

I think a 3x3 embark with 1 cavern would definitely help fps issues, as well as playing on a pocket world. I have a very, very old computer, and it's a very visible difference running a pocket size world versus a standard size.

As for noble/glazing mods, I have no position on the glazing, as I don't really do that, and it certainly doesn't sound gamebreak-y to me. Will the noble mod stick going from folder to folder? I don't have much experience with modding, so I ask out of ignorance.

Lastly, I want a turn.

Raws are contained in the folder with the saves, and positions are part of the entity raws, so yes, they will carry over between saves, all you have to do is zip and unzip the entire save folder.

I'll put you down for a turn... Although that reminds me, you probably shouldn't get a turn until "you" are actually on the map. (Should only matter for the first two turns, though...)  If we go by order of who posted in the last thread to determine what wave someone arrives on, you might not arrive until the third year.  (Or should we just assume the next guy arrives in the last wave of the year before they are going to play?)

A third on the "only change your dwarf's profession" rule. I would also be alright with the no danger room rule.

I support the excess noble rule (all those mandates...ALL THE MADNESS).
As a totally unrelated rule, I think we should complete each Noble demand or die to the best of our ability.

You might want to have one Baron appoint the others. I don't know how the liaison will react to promoting 6 dwarfs at once.
How will we handle NPC dwarfs? atom smash? lava? slave labor?

I'm assuming atom smasher.  Depends on what player runs into the problem first, though.  I doubt I'll have time to set that up in the first year, myself.

I'm thinking that maybe we could do something like "The Island", and say that certain dwarves get to use "The Teleporter", which is attached to "The Golden Lever", which lets them travel to a dwarven paradise if they can pull it.  It just so happens to be on the other end of a hall of atom smashers set to permanent repeat.

"Unfortunate Accidents" are caused by pulling The Golden Lever.  We should build monuments to record the names of those who have gone on to pull The Golden Lever.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 11:08:30 pm »

I would think that priority would go to those who have signed up for a turn, then ordered by those who posted in the thread.

That way, we don't arbitrarily have to have someone shoved way back in the turn order.

Also, if you get killed on your turn, you are out, but if someone kills you on their turn, you get re-dorfed. Any objections to that rule? I still like it, but now that I've typed it out, it seems a bit extreme...

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 12:06:25 am »

Maybe if you die at all, your dead. Yeah its extreme, but it still should be considered.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 12:16:38 am »

Yeah, if you die, you're dead was the concept - that's supposed to be you in there, remember?

The only thing that would be extreme is if someone who dies can't post in the thread anymore.  (Although if they have no grave, I guess they could be a ghost...)
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 12:41:58 am »

>.>
<.<
Watching...
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 12:45:02 am »

I may take a turn. I normally play without migrants after the pop hits 80 so I am used to playing cautiously. Protip, when dealing with FB's repeating spike traps and drawbridges are your friends. Do that and get a good trap blender over the entrance to the surface and you should be good, I've lost 7 dwarves in 20 years, most of those to carelessness about moods and constructions when I play late.

EDIT When I say maybe I mean stick me in and hopefully I'll have time then. :P I promise I'll reply one way or the other promptly though.
Memento Mori

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 01:18:15 am »

Yeah, if you die, you're dead was the concept - that's supposed to be you in there, remember?

The only thing that would be extreme is if someone who dies can't post in the thread anymore.  (Although if they have no grave, I guess they could be a ghost...)

Interesting!  I like the implications of this, once dwarves with important positions die.
(I'm in as a miner and hauler by the way)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 03:09:03 am »

Posting to observe (not to play - think ill sit this one out), seeing as ill be in there as a crafter anyway at some point.

Assuming creative use of popcap wil be needed to keep pop near to "subscribers"?

This is a blank sig.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 04:44:08 am »

I agree with the jobs assigning. Even hauling may only be turned on if the person agrees with it.
modding in extra nobles is fine with me if everyone wants it but just having animal trainer and smithing skills turned on is pretty much the same thing as being a DM.
But at least one 'real' DM is a must.
screw that, we need more mandates!
If you die you are gone. No exceptions. As long as we only name the new migrants when they are safely in the fort and not hugging siegers there are no exceptions.
1 Cavern layer: only if we mod all creatures and plants to be available in the first layer. This pretty easy to do with find and replace.
No HFS: if it increases FPS and magma is still available I am fine with it, but if other people want it to stay it should probably stay.

About me being one of the first seven, if the cooking thing is the only problem you can dorf to first migrant the cook guy.
sign me in for a turn too, nr 5 or 6 or so. I only have time enough in a weekend-day so if you have a schedule sing me in for fri/satur/sunday
Also: if there is a danger room when it's my turn it will get destroyed :P

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 06:07:23 am »

I'll sign up for a turn.

Gen with a single cavern layer and no deep supermetals sounds ok.

How do we handle hauling though? We can't be ultra strict about it, or the starting seven will just be living out of a wagon and fortress will die of clutter.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25