Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25

Author Topic: "Rinsewind the First-Bolts" - A hole for craven cowards and misfits.  (Read 30548 times)

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
Re: "Rinsewind the First-Bolts" - A hole for craven cowards and misfits.
« Reply #285 on: May 18, 2011, 12:19:25 am »

Looking through our stocks, I just noticed that my character (NW_Kohaku) apparently made a statue of Patchy. 

Hehe, I hope it's a good statue.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 18, 2011, 09:31:21 am »

Oh, I just get an Idea. >:)

I'll do any workshop based labour, IF a few conditions are meet:
* not near water or magma or other dangerous things like that (guess this excludes some kinds of workshops)
* not near any surface entrance, cave area, or other entrance for monsters.
* In a special burrow down a winding tunnel whith my own bedroom and place to eat and stuff so I can live locked away from other dwarves like a paranoid hermit.
* Some other excessive in-character RPed paranoia, probably involving traps.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 18, 2011, 10:55:47 am »

Looking through our stocks, I just noticed that my character (NW_Kohaku) apparently made a statue of Patchy. 

Hehe, I hope it's a good statue.

These stoneware statues are worth much more than an engraved wall: 100 times the quality multiplier, as opposed to 10 times material times quality, which generally means 120 max, unless you get a lucky gold vein or something in the room. 

I remember your statue was unglazed, but worth 400 (so it was *quality*) and it was just a "commemorating migrating to the fortress in the Midsummer of 126".

Glazes are worth a bit, too.  Antimony glazes, which seem the most common in our fort, are a +60 to value.  I think that means that the glazes get a *10 multiplier for decorations, but no multiplier for quality, unfortunately. 

I don't suppose I can ask someone who watches this thread to volunteer as a mason?  We need a lot of stone-related materials right now, desperately.
Anything to avoid being targeted with an unfortunate accident!  :P
Seriously, I'm fine with it. In fact, I'll just say it now: I'm fine with any labor that is not likely to be dangerous, especially if it is not laborious or it involves some creative expression. Just be sure to mention it.

Ditto!

The problem with you guys who are watching this thread closely is that most of you already have tasks that are also vital to the fort.  So taking you off of whatever it is you guys are already doing is just as bad.

Adelene Dawner, for example, is already a glassmaker, (and have some good skill with it) which means you can make the things that a mason can make, already.  (Although you don't destroy stone doing it, and destroying stone is kind of helpful at this point...)

Turning off some tasks for the glassmakers makes them much more productive on important things like making doors/portals, so I think we'll just have a futuristic fortress with a bunch of glass portals everywhere.  (And now I'm thinking with portals!)

Oh, I just get an Idea. >:)

I'll do any workshop based labour, IF a few conditions are meet:
* not near water or magma or other dangerous things like that (guess this excludes some kinds of workshops)
* not near any surface entrance, cave area, or other entrance for monsters.
* In a special burrow down a winding tunnel whith my own bedroom and place to eat and stuff so I can live locked away from other dwarves like a paranoid hermit.
* Some other excessive in-character RPed paranoia, probably involving traps.

The magma workshops are totally safe.  The pump is controlled and shut off, a hatch bars access, and all access to the magma is under an inaccessible tile of the kilns or the like.

The caverns are completely shut off, so there's no danger there, either.

As for the paranoid hermit and staying away from the surface parts, all the living and working space is pretty crammed together right now.  You pretty much go across the hall on the main hall floor, and you're at the workshop shaft. 

As for your character, you apparently migrated in with rank 6 (talented) carpentry, but are set to only do seige engine stuff (which I haven't actually built yet, but if I get the chance to do, will involve guarding the western entrance  with the longest straight shaft I can dig across the fort, and a nice trench that puts you ten tiles away from any advancing goblin horde.)

My new plans for opening up the western bank involves abandoning my previous tunnel, and actually making the entrance to the western bank just a couple floors below the entrance to the eastern bank's entrance, which means it will almost entirely be underground, and go the length of the embark, with ballista guarding the whole path.  I should be able to make a path that is at least 60-70 tiles of straight ballista line-of-fire. 

The seige operators would then possibly be able to get some hermit-like accomidations at that point, I suppose, and be far enough away from everything that they wouldn't be in any danger unless the whole rest of the fort was collapsing around them.

The access to the surface resources of the West Bank will be completely cut off from the outside world, excluding fliers.

I'll need to build some drawbridges to disconnect the surface as a last ditch against fliers.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 18, 2011, 09:00:29 pm »

You can make me a mason if you want. I'm already a glassworker, though, so you may want me to keep working with that.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 19, 2011, 06:37:26 am »

I guess I'll do some emergency carpentry...
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 22, 2011, 02:03:34 pm »

I don't suppose I can ask someone who watches this thread to volunteer as a mason?  We need a lot of stone-related materials right now, desperately.
Anything to avoid being targeted with an unfortunate accident!  :P
Seriously, I'm fine with it. In fact, I'll just say it now: I'm fine with any labor that is not likely to be dangerous, especially if it is not laborious or it involves some creative expression. Just be sure to mention it.

Ditto!

The problem with you guys who are watching this thread closely is that most of you already have tasks that are also vital to the fort.  So taking you off of whatever it is you guys are already doing is just as bad.
Really? What am I doing right now?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 25, 2011, 05:28:44 pm »

Any updates on this?
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 29, 2011, 05:20:13 am »

*bunp*

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 30, 2011, 08:54:26 pm »

Rinsewind's 3rd turn is cursed bad. Everyone quits halfway through it. Don't know what you did on your turn Blade, but it seems to be whipping everyone that tries this.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 30, 2011, 10:31:05 pm »

Rinsewind's 3rd turn is cursed bad. Everyone quits halfway through it. Don't know what you did on your turn Blade, but it seems to be whipping everyone that tries this.

Oh my God, I am SO SORRY. I thought the worst I did was accidentally kill off a bunch of people.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 31, 2011, 06:27:56 pm »

Well, I think either me or agatharchides is up next. agatharchides hasn't been on since the 8th, so I guess it's my turn.

I'll download Blade Master Model 42's save and see what kind of progress I can make on it. I don't have a lot of time right now, but I think I can get my year finished in 7-8 days.
To summarize:

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 01, 2011, 04:19:04 am »

HEEEEEY!

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 01, 2011, 07:39:22 pm »

HEEEEEY!

Uh...what? *is confused*

EDIT: OK, we seriously need some furniture hauling. Anyone up for it? It makes you buff! You get to know all the people with the best bedrooms!  You'll know exactly where to run when the fort gets invaded! Sign up for furniture hauling today!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 08:24:00 pm by Ghills »
To summarize:

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 02, 2011, 04:01:17 am »

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25