Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why floodgates?  (Read 1516 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Why floodgates?
« on: April 09, 2011, 06:39:24 pm »

Is there ever any reason to use floodgates instead of raised drawbridges? For...anything?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Why floodgates?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 06:41:54 pm »

Floodgates default to closed.  Raising drawbridges default to open.  This can be important building repeaters and certain water logic applications.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 06:44:14 pm »

Floodgates can be built ahead of time, and can be installed much faster than a bridge can be designed and built.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 06:46:51 pm »

To me, it's just a proper way of doing things. If you want to control a river, you use a floodgate. If you want to provide and restrict access across a chasm, you use a bridge.

To be honest, there's no structural difference between floodgates and doors once they're hooked up to a control device (except maybe the activation delay, not sure), so they could be seen as interchangeable as well.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 06:47:47 pm »

Sure there are.

- Raised drawbridges are impassable when toggled and passable when not toggled, the opposite of floodgates. In certain mechanical setups this is a vital distinction.

- Drawbridges are dangerous to be around; a dwarf or item that gets caught in a drawbridge when it's raising dies. If the spot in question is anywhere near where dwarves work or move, you don't want that risk.

- Drawbridges take more time to make. Quite a bit. It also requires an uncommon skill.

A better question, however, is why use floodgates instead of doors? Mechanically attached doors open and shut instantly, unlike floodgates and bridges. Doors are a commonly used item in a fortress, unlike floodgates, so it's common to have some laying around and you rarely have to worry about overproducing them. A dwarf who places a door on the wrong side can simply walk through it, unlike with a floodgate (won't help the mechanic if he connects it to the lever from the wrong side, though). The only real reason to use floodgates instead of doors is if you want to block of a 3 tile or greater passageway, but I have to ask why you have passageways that large in your plumbing system because you really don't need them (the pressure system makes water flow just as fast through one tile as through 5).

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 07:48:42 pm »

The only real reason to use floodgates instead of doors is if you want to block of a 3 tile or greater passageway, but I have to ask why you have passageways that large in your plumbing system because you really don't need them (the pressure system makes water flow just as fast through one tile as through 5).

Floodgates with lever controls aren't taken by goblin thieves, while doors can be. I lost a fortress to the assumption that I'd be able to lock a door if an invasion occurred, only to find out that a thief had taken that door and I could not lock it. With a lever/floodgate, I'd have been able to secure it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 08:03:50 pm »

I don't think that doors controlled by levers can be picked, which makes floodgates no better than doors if you're using a lever to control it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 08:16:33 pm »

You could protect yourself from all but amphibious building destroyers by having a drawbridge which would hold back water when raised or cover downward staircases when lowered, which would cover it in wate. Floodgates couldn't do this quite as simply. Obviously it would make sense to put hatch covers on a lower level in case the bridge was destroyed.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 08:32:05 pm »

I don't think that doors controlled by levers can be picked, which makes floodgates no better than doors if you're using a lever to control it.

Will floodgates close even if there's a small object on the square?

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 08:39:12 pm »

Will floodgates close even if there's a small object on the square?

No, they won't close if there is an item blocking it. However, they will atom smash any liquid on the tile when they raise.

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 09:01:27 pm »

raising drawbridges will atom smash lots though!  :D
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 09:18:13 pm »

The only real reason to use floodgates instead of doors is if you want to block of a 3 tile or greater passageway, but I have to ask why you have passageways that large in your plumbing system because you really don't need them (the pressure system makes water flow just as fast through one tile as through 5).

Floodgates with lever controls aren't taken by goblin thieves, while doors can be. I lost a fortress to the assumption that I'd be able to lock a door if an invasion occurred, only to find out that a thief had taken that door and I could not lock it. With a lever/floodgate, I'd have been able to secure it.
Lever controlled doors can't be claimed just like floodgates. They also close instantly instead of after 100 tick. In a defense scenario, I'd much rather have the doors.

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 09:26:50 pm »

btw you can lock the door so that the engnier don't link it from the wrong side

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 09:33:27 pm »

Always floodgates for water, although that's sort of a habit. I use floodgates instead of doors only if I want a delay, trap-wise. Sometimes that's needed if I want enemies to trap themselves, although drawbridges that raise away from the entrance with pressure plates on the outside are my favorite door-related device: death by incredibly gradual self-inflicted fall damage for enemies, safe passage for dwarves.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 11:05:04 pm »

When I want something to work opposite of a raising bridge (like for an airlock), that is the only time I use floodgates.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.
Pages: [1] 2