Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mud and Adobe/Resource gathering areas  (Read 564 times)

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mud and Adobe/Resource gathering areas
« on: April 09, 2011, 05:46:56 pm »

Since we have clay bricks why not mud? To make a simple mud brick you would need a bucket of water and a unit of none pure sand soil to get the dirt from. Adobe would need the bucket and mud and hay when that gets put in. Adobe and mud bricks would fall apart when in contact with water or heavy rain and wet adobe or mud brick would be easier for sieges to destroy.  Drying time is not a issue because of how fast dwarf fortress time passes. The value of mud walls and floors would be 1 or none.

Resource gathering areas would replace the sand/clay areas. It would also let you have your woodcutters/gathers do so safely by have the favor/only use options like a fishing area. It would have the number of grow able tiles (for plants and trees), the number of plain dirt, clay and sand. It would also let you pick what jobs would use the area so you could have a sand only area and the like.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 06:41:33 pm by Light forger »

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Mud and Adobe/Resource gathering areas
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 06:11:18 am »

This is easily moddable. But still.

I am all for mud bricks, but a few things keep me from offering my support.

First as you described it, it doesn't seem worth it. Clay walls are as invincible as steel walls. If mud walls fell apart in the rain, I wouldn't use them, especially since cave-in = insta kill and dust flying in every direction. Seems like more trouble in the long run.

Second
Resource gathering areas would replace the sand/clay areas.

No, I like my sand, and my clay. Keeping them separated makes me happy.

Third clay has several uses, mud needs a second use in order for anyone to make it. If it doesn't it's no better then mudstone.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 10:00:48 am »

They can be separated it would have a screen with gather clay no/yes gather sand no/yes etc.  Unless you use clay/adobe walls in a jungle the rains would only cause minor damage to the walls that A: your dwarves would patch in about nine seconds/B: would go away after a time. The falling apart in water is mainly so if you flood your fortress it would turn into patches of mud. The main use of mud is easy early game walls that lets you save your timber and you would not have to mine out a whole fortress (when that takes longer).

By the way adobe bricks (when sieges can destroy walls) will be about twice as strong and will need more water to destroy/damage.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:42:27 am by Light forger »

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 11:51:51 am »

The baked bricks used to construct the original Ishtar Gate in Babylon are still standing. :)
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.