Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Paranoia RPG  (Read 3184 times)

WhenInRome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranoia RPG
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 07:20:53 pm »

Rex has asploded.

Don't worry, you should be all fixed up in the cloning vats soon!
My favorite part is [DELETED FOR SECURITY REASONS] and then the commie got off the flying dinosaur and [DELETED FOR SECURITY REASONS] so then the space wizard looks at me and says [DELETED FOR SECURITY REASONS] but he only had RED-level clearance!

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 12:51:05 pm »

What is Paranoia?
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 04:06:58 pm »

What is Paranoia?

Nothing at all.  Forget you ever saw this thread, or run the risk of getting v&
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 03:52:56 am »

What is Paranoia?

I have heard of it before, but never got the grasp of it. Wiki says its a satirical roleplaying game?!?!
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 07:58:45 am »

What is Paranoia?

I have heard of it before, but never got the grasp of it. Wiki says its a satirical roleplaying game?!?!

I don't think you have clearance for any more information.

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2011, 08:13:46 am »

You mutant commie spies! He has clearance!
Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 395
Images in your signature must be no higher than 80 pixels.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2011, 08:28:50 am »

I always see this mistake being made.

Guys, it's [introduction to game making it seem fun] and THEN [spergy injokes that can turn players off when they repeatedly ask about the game and get nothing but a brick wall of stuff they can't understand UNLESS they've been introduced to the game].

Paranoia is a game where you're working for the Friend Computer to help stop abnormal activity, and enforce conformity. You have a number of clones of yourself to help you accomplish this task, and you are going to need them: You, yourself, are abnormal, and if others knew the truth, you would be disposed of. There are a number of security clearances based on the spectrum, and if you learn something you're not supposed to, or go somewhere you're not supposed to, you are eligible for elimination as well.

The game is actively trying to kill you. Fun is achieved when you are playing along with the insanity of the scenario.

Alright, you dudes can go back to the injokes now.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2011, 09:06:50 am »

Personally, I would say the best way to learn the the game is play the game.  Head to http://www.paranoia-live.net/news.php, look around a bit, check out the forum, especially the "Mission Alert" topic.

Find a game, die a few times, then you should have a grasp of the game.  Then pretend to kill your buddies at home with Paranoia XP or Troubleshooters.  Whichever book you feel like grabbing/can afford.

Dunno if any are still available, but the black hardcover first editions of Troubleshooters should come with a CD, containing many, many supplements.

Oh, and if no games are scheduled in the next few months, head to the "Introduce Yourself" thread and ask somebody to run a game so you can learn.  That should get the lurker GMs moving.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2011, 09:49:28 am »

Paranoia is a game where you're working for the Friend Computer to help stop abnormal activity, and enforce conformity. You have a number of clones of yourself to help you accomplish this task, and you are going to need them: You, yourself, are abnormal, and if others knew the truth, you would be disposed of. There are a number of security clearances based on the spectrum, and if you learn something you're not supposed to, or go somewhere you're not supposed to, you are eligible for elimination as well.

To give you better understanding: while playing a session of Paranoia you can die during a mission briefing. Or you can appear in the briefing room and find the only person inside dead and unable to tell you what to do. And you still have to complete your mission.

You may be forced to buy your mission equipment on black market, because the one assigned to you is stolen, malfunctioning or consists entirely of rectangular glass containers.

The mission itself... imagine that Friend Computer ordered you to stealthily eliminate a certain clone. But your secret society wants him to be eliminated as obviously as possible to make him a martyr in the eyes of the rest. Your Team Leader is ordered to protect him. Your Equipment Guy doesn't care about the target at all, he is an IntSec agent who wants to expose you both as traitors. Moreover, you are to perform a "service service" for the Armed Forces, which would consist of babysitting a retarded warbot - which is a great addition to the team of people who have to do a stealth mission.

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2011, 09:59:03 am »

I'm going to stick with not doing what willfor says by adding DF fun and paranoia fun are the same.
Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 395
Images in your signature must be no higher than 80 pixels.
Pages: 1 [2]