Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Your Utopia?  (Read 6405 times)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your Utopia?
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2011, 09:00:55 pm »

I don't have a utopia. I *can't* because for a perfect society to exist, there can't be any warfare. As long as their are soldiers like me, there'll never be an end to war, becuase I'll *always* see someone else to prepare for. Until the last soldier dies to the last bullet of the last battle of the last war.
There is a way to fight wars without actual (physical) violence, but it takes a lot more creativity and a certain amount of tolerance. That's to fight politically, ideologically, and psychologically. If the campaign is good enough, it's amazing the odds a group can overcome - looking at Ghandi of course is the most famous example. He wasn't successful by doing nothing and being peaceful.
----
The main problems I have with governments right now are intolerance and inefficiency. I think both of these would be better if we had some better way to get rid of ideas - like a spring cleaning. In Michigan, we can vote every 16 years to replace our state constitution, and I kind've like that idea. I'd go even further though and say that we should do the same thing with our laws, tax code, and so forth. Every 50 years simply replace all of the laws of a government with a new one that is voted into place. For flexibility, vote on whether to do this every 15-20 years.

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2011, 09:03:55 pm »

Armok. I am going to go out on a limb here and say, without looking up what you are trying to say in my Armok to English dictionary, you are wrong.
Judging from my Google search, I think he's telling us to buy a Volkswagen.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2011, 09:11:33 pm »

Fun Theory is that you can get people to do what you want by making it entertaining to do so. For example, stairs are better for a pedestrian's health than escalators. Install musical keyboard stairs. More people take the stairs now that it is "fun".

Malimbar, I read an interesting short story where Ghandi attempted his noncooperation against Nazi occupation instead of British occupation. It was not a happy ending.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2011, 09:15:03 pm »

Armok. I am going to go out on a limb here and say, without looking up what you are trying to say in my Armok to English dictionary, you are wrong.
Judging from my Google search, I think he's telling us to buy a Volkswagen.

I always figured that he was a really really poorly made add bot from some of the things he said. Now we know what all his posts have been trying to do!

Fun Theory is that you can get people to do what you want by making it entertaining to do so. For example, stairs are better for a pedestrian's health than escalators. Install musical keyboard stairs. More people take the stairs now that it is "fun".

Yeah. I know. But since that has nothing really to do with the topic at hand I just assumed he was crazy.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2011, 09:17:40 pm »

Searching fun theory lead me to choice theory...
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2011, 09:20:43 pm »

Install musical keyboard stairs. More people take the stairs now that it is "fun".

Off-topic: Why have I never seen this?!?

On-topic: I don't think a utopia would be possible or even plausible, considering that there are always the people who disagree with everything just for the sake of disagreement.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2011, 04:31:57 pm »

Huh? a) I can't be wrong for saying what the *field of study* is called, if you didn't like a particular theory of Fun Theory that doesn't invalidate every theory. That's like saying physics is wrong because you happened to get an article on auras as the first google result.

And apparently google dosn't recognize it, fancy that. Here's a summary by my favorite authority on the subject: http://lesswrong.com/lw/xy/the_fun_theory_sequence/
Fun Theory is the field of knowledge that deals in questions such as "How much fun is there in the universe?", "Will we ever run out of fun?", "Are we having fun yet?" and "Could we be having more fun?"
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2011, 04:39:56 pm »

It's a bit long, but a good read:

Utopia:
http://www.marshallbrain.com/manna1.htm

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2011, 05:43:21 pm »

This is a question I've been thinking about a lot. What I've come up with isn't really a utopia-As people have said, that idea is impossible- but I think it would be a great improvement over what we have now.

I'm not very good at communicating ideas, so if you have questions or feel I didn't cover something, don't be shy.

I think that “From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs” is a good description of how society should work. I also think that such a society should organized “From the bottom up.” To this end, I see great potential in things like Open Design and Open Space. Instead of moving from the top down, Initiatives start at the bottom, among the people, and work their way up.

In order to create this kind of society, we should begin by creating individual operations. At first, these operations should work on their own, within the existing structure of society. For example, an employee owned small business or an agricultural commune. As more of these are created, they can begin to connect, coordinating for greater effect and to allow greater specialization. Eventually, this system will make up the majority of the worlds economy.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 05:45:11 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2011, 05:56:47 pm »

Post-scarcity, infinite frontiers.  If you don't like who you're with, you are always, in all cases, free to go somewhere else.  Post-scarcity means no relying on others for survival resources, or even for most luxury items, even if you're alone.  You can choose to join whatever social group will let you in, and surely there will be many, and surely many of them will be large.  Your group can rule itself however it wishes, and have some power over its environment, specifically any group has the freedom to be democratic, autocratic, whatever, where the primary power of authority is the ability to kick someone out of the group.  Freedom of travel, so that moving from group to group is essentially effortless.

If you want to be lazy, a post-scarcity world will let you get away with it, alone or with whatever others you wish to share your laziness with.  If you wish to work hard, to create art, you can share it.  Let AI control resource production and the means thereof, so long as there is always enough for all.  Anyone who wishes to provide for themselves can still choose to do so, in whatever partial or whole capacity they wish.

Children stay with their parents, but can go anywhere freely at age thirteen.  (Before then, parents may allow them to leave, but can recall them.  Want to let your kids go join some crazy Ender's Game thing, or hell, some Lord of the Flies thing?  Oh, why not, if they want.)  They're required to accept some form of communication from their parents until age sixteen, which is the age of majority.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2011, 05:33:51 pm »

i always imagined the ai would try to optimize resource production and consumption, and would eventually decide humanity was a defective gear in society's machine, and would eventually, either passively or violently, wipe us out

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2011, 05:51:56 pm »

But what is its purpose in Optimization?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2011, 06:08:56 pm »

My utopia utopia:  A world where everyone makes honest effort not to be a jerk.  Pretty simple, but yes, it's unrealistic.  I think this is what most people are commenting on when they say utopia is impossible.

This is why I have my real utopia:  A societal structure that cannot be taken advantage of for the sake of being a jerk.  This only requires one guiding principle, no opportunities within the social structure for the decisions of a small amount of people to have significant impact on a large amount of people.  This means specifically, no hierarchy of coercive authority and no contract for material leverage over a population.  We're currently very very far from this, but I have yet to be convinced that it's impossible. 
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2011, 06:27:06 pm »

Whenever competition exists, it'll always turn to war eventually.  Any type of war will eventually turn violent.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2011, 07:09:18 pm »

My utopia utopia:  A world where everyone makes honest effort not to be a jerk.  Pretty simple, but yes, it's unrealistic.  I think this is what most people are commenting on when they say utopia is impossible.

This is why I have my real utopia:  A societal structure that cannot be taken advantage of for the sake of being a jerk.  This only requires one guiding principle, no opportunities within the social structure for the decisions of a small amount of people to have significant impact on a large amount of people.  This means specifically, no hierarchy of coercive authority and no contract for material leverage over a population.  We're currently very very far from this, but I have yet to be convinced that it's impossible.
what about when a large amount of people are jerks to a smaller amount of people? prejudice against minorities arises naturally in all societies

But what is its purpose in Optimization?
what's the purpose of an ai?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7