Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (31.25) Pathfinding bug going up ramps ?  (Read 422 times)

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(31.25) Pathfinding bug going up ramps ?
« on: April 09, 2011, 03:38:01 pm »

I haven't played this game since 40d.  I shelved it and was looking forward to the next "complete and mostly bug-free" release in the next cycle, which it looked like 31.25 was.  I downloaded the latest LNP (I'm partially the N but most certainly the L), and looked forward to rediscovering the game.  Within 5 minutes of embarking I ran into a quite annoying bug which I'm trying to figure out.  What I did was tunnel into the side of a hill for a ways, then proceed to channel downward ramps in a spiraling pattern for about 6 levels, then switched to a 1-tile up/down stairway for another 10 levels just to find the caverns.  At the bottom it breached the caverns, at which point my miner proceeded to walk out about 7 tiles into the cavern level at the bottom of that stairway when he finished digging, and there was no other mining designated, and he just stood there, rather than path back up the stairs and ramps to what should be the default meeting area around your starting cart.  It finally took me designating the mining of another stairway all the way back up the surface to force him back up.  The only thing I can think of is that there's some problem with pathing on ramps, or maybe there was no other default meeting area so when the miner reached the bottom of the shaft in the caverns he just stayed there, but that seems unlikely.  Any ideas?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: (31.25) Pathfinding bug going up ramps ?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 03:39:45 pm »

Ramps have to be arranged a certain way to work.  In order for a ramp to be usable, that ramp has to have at least one wall tile adjacent to it, and that wall tile has to have a walkable floor space on top of it.  It sounds like you're screwing up the ramps somehow so that they're unusable, but I'd have to see a screenshot to be sure.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

RopeMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 04:10:48 pm »

I've actually had success with a straight 3-long line of floor tile > ramp > +1z floor tile. The adjacent wall tiles are still safer in the sense that they support the ramp -- natural ramps with adjacent tiles dug out disappear unless constructed, but are otherwise completely functional if you built it like Sphalerite said.

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 08:31:05 pm »

Ramps have to be arranged a certain way to work.  In order for a ramp to be usable, that ramp has to have at least one wall tile adjacent to it, and that wall tile has to have a walkable floor space on top of it.  It sounds like you're screwing up the ramps somehow so that they're unusable, but I'd have to see a screenshot to be sure.

That certainly sounds like the problem.  Thanks!