Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: ATHE ENGLISHSPEAK ISARE NOWBEING CHINESEMANDARIN  (Read 8237 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whom do you write like?
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2011, 06:01:11 am »

Huh, Ursula K Le Guin [sic]
Yeah, was it a Sci-Fi/Fantasy thing? She seems to write them.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2011, 06:09:13 am »

Yup. I've read her Earthsea books, they're... okay, I guess. Just don't read the last book.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2011, 06:11:55 am »

I don't know, Earthsea sounds like a some what generic name pulled from a bland mind. Like naming something Bolderstone, or Eaglehawk.

Then again, title alone does not make for a good assessment of anything, much less a book.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2011, 06:21:19 am »

It's sad that I have nothing of mine to put into the machine, so I put some python code in, apparently I write python code like Dan Brown ?
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2011, 06:31:05 am »

Should have put in some prolog, you would have gotten Lovecraft, because that shit is scary!

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2011, 03:48:31 pm »

Apparently my most recent story was written like Gertrude Stein. I've never read any of her work, but that keeps in line with what I understand of her writing, although the story was influenced most by episodes 4 and 5 from Ulysses (and Homestuck since it was Homestuck fanfiction). I put an older story in and it came up with Joyce, who was definitely a major influence on that work along with Burroughs.

On the other hand, I put in a recent low fantasy story that I consider to be plainspoken and it was also analyzed as Joycean, which I wouldn't say is the case.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2011, 04:01:49 pm »

I don't know, Earthsea sounds like a some what generic name pulled from a bland mind. Like naming something Bolderstone, or Eaglehawk.
Or Sparrowhawk?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2011, 05:44:49 pm »

H.P. Lovecraft.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2011, 06:38:59 pm »

Or Sparrowhawk?

Okay. I admit it, I laughed.

Anyway she is… Okay. His opinion of herself is much much to high for how much talent she really has though.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2011, 06:43:05 pm »

I did another one and got David Foster Wallace, who apparently wrote for play boy at one time. Das cool.

Edit: Fuck double post, sorry.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 06:45:59 pm by Criptfeind »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2011, 06:44:48 pm »

Anyway she is… Okay. His opinion of herself is much much to high for how much talent she really has though.

Eh, she wrote a lot of fairly groundbreaking fiction works about gender and sexuality.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2011, 08:04:21 pm »

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2011, 07:32:04 pm »

Fight Club.

Ah, okay.

My most recent piece of creative writing (a first draft, but still) returned Gertrude Stein. Have yet to read something from her.

Funny, when I inserted I bunch of "h"es:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I got Ernest Hemingway.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2011, 07:51:29 pm »

Quote from: toady
Here are some more city schematics. These are all cities with 3-gated walls and very basic castles, and all but the last have a narrow river with several short bridges. That sort of thing is fairly easy to vary, but in this set I've varied the amount of city instead -- the pictures have higher and higher populations as you go down the list. It's more homesteady and less manorial than the older village pictures. In order to expedite how it works with the rest of the world map/movement/etc., it still respects 48x48 tile sections, though that can soften a bit in the future. It should also be able to handle curved road segments without other adjustments (they are all straight now since that's the fastest type to throw in). The river is blocky since I didn't bother constructing the specifics from the fully realized map, but I'll be messing with that more when we get to real tiles. The next set of pictures should involve the actual in-game tiles if everything works out.

Got Dan Brown...?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2011, 07:59:11 pm »

I sort of wish the analyser would give you a tidbit of the writer's well... work as well as some biographical information.

It would help quite a bit with understanding why this machine compares you to certain writers without forcing you to find out information on some random writer you may have never heard of.

Note: By the by the above text... makes me like Edgar Allen Poe... It just seems random now.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9