Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dumping rocks outdoors and building a tower  (Read 576 times)

San_A333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dumping rocks outdoors and building a tower
« on: April 09, 2011, 12:34:30 pm »

I am trying to build a tower. I first made a square of walls, then up/down stairs to reach a higher z-level. On that level I build "floors", in order to build new walls. When I tried to build these new walls, the cursor turned red, because floors are considered as buildings. Fair enough, I removed them (d-n keys), leaving a square of stones to be removed, in order to build the walls... My dwarves refuse to dump them  :( Is it a known bug?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 02:37:06 pm by San_A333 »

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: bug dumping rocks?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 12:37:41 pm »

Are they not removing the floors, or did they deconstruct the floors and are now ignoring the resultant stone after you d/b/d'd them?  If they did not deconstruct the floors check for pathing problems, if they are not dumping the stones check that your dwarves are not set to ignore outdoor refuse with the o-r menu.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

San_A333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 12:43:18 pm »

they did deconstruct the floors, leaving a stone and a rough block floor. Indeed they were set to ignore refuse outdoors. thanks!

By the way, how can I build a roof woithout having to build floors then deconstruct them?

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 01:27:10 pm »

Easiest method is that on the top level, you use one of the outer spots where you'll put a wall and build a stair up to the roof.  After finishing the roof, d-n the down stairs, d-n the up stairs, then put a wall where the stairs were.

San_A333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 02:35:30 pm »

Sounds good. But actually my main concern is about building the walls at the top level, as apparently I need to d-n the floors on the edges if you want to put something on it (wall, door, etc.) is there any way to build on a roof without d-n-ing it?

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dumping rocks outdoors and building a tower
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 03:55:28 pm »

I'm not quite sure why you're building floors and then walls in the same place.  That said, I usually use bridges for scaffolding, as they break down more quickly.  The only tricky bit is that when deconstructing them, dwarves don't check if anyone (say, their firstborn) is on the bridge when they tear it down.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 05:27:02 pm »

Dwarves treat the top of a wall as a floor, so if you build a wall on z=0 you don't need to build a floor on top of it at z=1.  Floors that are built next to the top of a wall are supported by the wall.

Code: [Select]
  _
 #
 #

# is a wall, _ is a floor, the floor is supported by the wall 1 level down and 1 tile left.  If your walls are 5x5, with a 3x3 space, you only need a 3x3 floor to act as the roof.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 05:32:36 pm »

The way I usually do roofs is to build a scaffold of up/down stairs next to all of my towers (or inside of it if you want a hatch to access a flat roof or something)

Then when I reach the roof I either make a flat roof of floors with a hatch and fortifications OR I build ramps along the edges, walls within the circle of ramps, build ramps on top of those, walls inside again etc.. until I have a multi level ramp roof.

Granted this is mostly for stonesense looks, and will have no advantages over flat roofs ingame.

Code: [Select]

# being ramps, W and O being Walls and Open space.
#######
#WWWWW#
#WOOOW#
#WOOOW#
#WOOOW#
#WWWWW#
#######

For houses and huts. (From the side, same method as above.

/ \
   / W \
  /WOOOW\
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 05:34:21 pm by Illanair »
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 05:45:07 pm »

Does making glass and gem windows work instead of walls? I don't know if it acts like doors and stop the zoning grid, or allow doors to be installed beside them though.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 06:43:49 pm »

Windows will block spread zoning the way a wall will, but will not provide support to doors.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."