Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Designation for cleaning.  (Read 1500 times)

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Designation for cleaning.
« on: April 09, 2011, 11:12:00 am »

Not sure if it's been suggested before, but this is really needed. Dwarves don't auto-clean aboveground like they do in underground forts, so for example desert forts with no rain will have immense amounts of blood on the surface with no way to clean it off, especially after years of sieges. Putting "clean" into the "d" menu would be incredibly useful, as you could just designate the blood to be cleaned off.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: Designation for cleaning.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 11:34:52 am »

Agreed.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Stormcloudy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 01:54:49 pm »

Yes! DFHack is nice, but not always Dwarfy.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 01:57:01 am »

Maybe if blood etc on outside tiles eventually goes away.
So every 3 months it could drop down a point, so a pool goes to a puddle or however the levels of blood work.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 02:00:21 am »

I think a cleaning designation, in general would be nice, just to force the clean up of something.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Conflict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 03:29:41 am »

Simple suggestion, but -very- needed.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 04:21:16 am »

Urist McHauler was ecstatic to get discount clothes recently. :P

I approve.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Norseman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 05:17:05 am »

I don't think a designation is the right way to do this. I don't want to keep designating an area to be cleaned every time some blood is spilled. How about a burrow option? Dwarves would then automatically clean anything inside that burrow.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 05:50:55 am »

Suggested, discussed (Dozens of times), declared a good idea. On the eternal suggestions list #203 with 2 votes.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 02:19:18 pm »

Suggested, discussed (Dozens of times), declared a good idea. On the eternal suggestions list #203 with 2 votes.
...Well, then.

I really like this idea, but more for aesthetics. I occasionally (31.18) flood more than the farm plot and would like to have my dwarves clean the mud from my nice tunnels. I suspect this will be the case again once mud becomes a farming prerequisite again.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 02:23:24 pm »

I don't think a designation is the right way to do this. I don't want to keep designating an area to be cleaned every time some blood is spilled. How about a burrow option? Dwarves would then automatically clean anything inside that burrow.
Why not both? Cleaning, dumping, woodcutting, plant gathering and various agricultural and resource gathering tasks all are needed as one-off jobs or continuous task assignments. The designation is for a one time action, the burrow command is for permanent job generation.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 04:54:17 pm »

Why not both? Cleaning, dumping, woodcutting, plant gathering and various agricultural and resource gathering tasks all are needed as one-off jobs or continuous task assignments. The designation is for a one time action, the burrow command is for permanent job generation.

Wow, really interesting point there.

It would be fantastic to be able to set certain types of designations as permanent, so as soon as an eligible tree popped up inside your tree cutting designation, a dwarf would get assigned to cut it, for instance.

As I posted in one of the other cleaning threads, I'm all for any sort of cleaning designation, whether one-time or permanent. I shouldn't have to rely on an external utility to clean up the map.