Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Best old console games  (Read 8338 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Best old console games
« on: April 09, 2011, 08:15:28 am »

I've watched some Let's plays and after watchng Grimith playing Shadowrun I've tried it and yeah, it's great for a console RPG :).

Could you suggest some other complex and great games for SNES/Sega Genesis/some other old console? I've played some arcades like Zombies ate my Neighbours and the like, but Shadowrun is the only console game which is quite complex and aimed for many gaming sessions (big world, lots of quests (and grinding :P), save/load system).

Is there anything like that?

Also do you know any good Star Wars console action/RPGs?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best old console games
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 08:22:40 am »

E.V.O. The search for eden is an amazing game. Hard to find a copy of it though.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 08:29:46 am »

Phantasy Star IV (4) for the Sega Genesis. It has savestates and is one of the biggest Sega games (it's the first RPG I played, too). The story's pretty good for a game of its time. DON'T PLAY IT WITH A WALKTHROUGH OR ELSE IT WILL BECOME PROFOUNDLY EASY! Most bosses have weaknesses that once found, make the fight one sided and extremely easy.

Phantasy Star 1, 2 and 3 are very good, too. 3 isn't a part of the story, though and is generally not concidered a part of the series.. I'd suggest starting with 1 or 2 and move onto 4.

Phantasy Star 1's for the Sega Master System. 2, 3 and 4 are for the Genesis/Megadrive.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 08:31:45 am by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 08:40:19 am »

Chrono Trigger (SNES) is good. Normally I hate jRPGs, but this one I found enjoyable.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 08:47:26 am »

The SNES was my introduction to gaming. I'm not sure if you want the obvious classics pointing out. I must admit I played more action games as a kid rather than turn based games or RPGs but I've played more of the later since.

EVO Search for Eden is an interesting RPG-like action game where you have to eat to gain XP which is used to evolve your creature. It has many evolutionary branches to explore. I don't want to say too much.

Super Mario RPG is an interesting take on the RPG genre and is much like the more recent mario RPGs.

Chrono Trigger is a must if you've never played it. RPG again. Might be worth giving the DS version a try. (ninja'd)

Terranigma is an action RPG never released in the states.

Secret of Mana is a fantastic game, best with two players, though.

Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together is a turn based, isometric, tactical RPG not unlike the more recent final fantasy tactics games.

Mother 2/ Earthbound is regarded as a classic in the turn based RPG genre.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. One of, if not the, best Zelda game. Plenty of dungeons.

Also do you know any good Star Wars console action/RPGs?
The super star wars games aren't bad. One for each of the original films.

Other games I'd suggest which don't fit your description:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There are still more I could mention both RPG and the rest...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 08:49:07 am by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 08:58:48 am »

Well... Wonder boy in monster world could qualify. Action RPG.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 09:12:34 am »

I'll second Phantasy Star IV, but I'd recommend not to overlook III completely. If you can look past the inferior graphics and presentation (since you're on this forum, I'll suspect you're capable), you can enjoy this game like any other JRPG.

Other titles I'd recommend... Well, there aren't many that can top Shadowrun and PSIV, and most RPGs of note for the SNES are already mentioned in the above post. I suggest you give the SNES version of Shadowrun a spin as well, it's a very different game, but you may find it fun.

Of the games not previously mentioned, Shining Force for the Genesis is a slightly different take on the usual jRPG mechanic (with TBS thrown in). The Immortal is an interesting exercise in not dying in horrible ways, also for the Genesis.

If you get your hands on some GBA games, you can try several fun ones. Mazes of Fate is a neat first-person RPG, Baldur's Gate:Dark Alliance is an action-slasher, Shining Soul 1&2 are both very interesting action/rpg titles. The platform also has numerous fun jRPGs.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 09:26:09 am »

I second Shining Force and suggest Shining Force 2. They're both fantastic games.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 09:29:56 am »

FF3

I mean 6

I mean VI

edit: SimAnt. I never played it on the SNES, so I can't say if it was different from the Mac version.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 10:09:11 am by BigD145 »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 09:54:41 am »

Road Rash 2 (Motorbikes and violence - sweet)

Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe (Violent scifi sport? yes,)

Powermonger (medieval god-sim...)

Legend of Thor (semi rpg beat them up)

Rock and Roll Racing (70's guitar rock and scifi racing with guns!)

F-Zero (we all know that one dont we?)

Toejam and Earl (procedurally generated levels in the 90's on the genesis!!!!)

Megalomania (very quirky god sim)

All of the above wasted literally months of my childhood. Most I still dust down once in a while and give a whirl for old times sakes. There are probably more but these leap out at me ATM.
This is a blank sig.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 09:57:31 am »

Soul Blazer is no Shadowrun, but it provides good action RPG fun 'till you beat it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 09:57:49 am »

Road Rash 2 (Motorbikes and violence - sweet)

Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe (Violent scifi sport? yes,)

Powermonger (medieval god-sim...)

Legend of Thor (semi rpg beat them up)

Rock and Roll Racing (70's guitar rock and scifi racing with guns!)

F-Zero (we all know that one dont we?)

Toejam and Earl (procedurally generated levels in the 90's on the genesis!!!!)

Megalomania (very quirky god sim)

All of the above wasted literally months of my childhood. Most I still dust down once in a while and give a whirl for old times sakes. There are probably more but these leap out at me ATM.
Legend of Thor? Sure it's not Story of Thor?

Oh, Road Rash 1, 2 and 3 were probably the best racing games ever created.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 10:03:52 am »

I still like some NES games as well. Like Over Horizon.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 10:06:41 am »

Since we're already on games that were on the PC as well as on consoles, Centurion: Defender of Rome (Genesis). You control the Roman empire and its armies, keep the citizens happy, invade neighbouring territories and engage in real-time battles (with things like morale taken into account). Sort of a Total War of its time. Only problem with the console version is there's no save system and instead you have to write down a generated password and type it in to load later (unless you just use save states).

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 11:17:12 am »

From what I've read, SNES Shadowrun varies considerably from Genesis Shadowrun.  So try both if you haven't already.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4