Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Best old console games  (Read 8326 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Best old console games
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2011, 01:40:56 pm »

Mm... actually, 7th Saga had something neat going on, it being one of the exceedingly rare cases where localization actually increased the game's difficulty. I forget the exact reason (something to do with leveling, maybe), but apparently a slightly misplaced bit of code in the english version of the game ramped the difficulty through the roof, making 7th Saga one of the hardest SNES rpgs to ever hit the States. Nowadays, there's patches that revert the game back to its original difficulty. I've played a little bit with one applied, and it's quite the different experience. Definitely still rather good.

In other news, 7th Saga's sorta' sequel finally got translated a couple years ago. It's a pretty awesome game.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2011, 02:07:04 pm »

Let me see

Mickey Mouse Adventure (I think that was its name) it was actually good and obscure. Though I guess not best.
-It was the one where you can become a sultan and get magical blasts...

Breath of Fire (ALL of them, though I believe only 1-3 were on the old consoles)

I probably should think of some more

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2011, 04:18:44 pm »

Legend Of Dragoons - PS 1

It is the one of the best games I have ever played it has a great indepth story, and the combat system is great.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2011, 10:03:38 pm »

Are we going all the way up to PS1? Cuz there's a lot of good offerings there.

For the Supernes, I'll add my points behind good old Super Mario RPG. Great game, personally, it's my second favorite "true" RPG of all time (Look to the left and try to figure out my first). I'll also put in a pitch for Kirby Superstar. It's a really fun game, although if you're planning on emulating it, it's kinda tough to find a rom (a few people I know were doling out what they claimed to be "every snes game ever made, but no one seemed to have kirby superstar. For the record, I continue to only have roms for games that I currently own and have actually gone out and bought additional snes games before downloading them).
Even the avatars expire eventually.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2011, 10:14:20 pm »

Kirby Superstar was released recently on the DS as an updated release. It basically doubles the number of modes, including adding a massively hard version of the arena. If your going for it, I HIGHLY recommend the DS version if you can find it.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2011, 03:05:07 am »

I'm not that old, my first gaming experience was on the Amstrad, playing Fruity Frank and some weird game where you made your way around a dungeon, dodging monsters, to grab a key and rescue some wizard guy. :P
Can't remember what it was called...

And then the PS1. Oh wow. I feel like that's when my life BEGAN, you know? My hands were just big enough to grab a controller, and laugh uncontrollably as Crash Bandicoot was squashed/splattered/impaled/eaten, over and over again. :D Stands the test of time too, Crash Bandicoot 1, 2 & 3 are still some of my favourite games ever.
Damn Naughty Dog, selling the franchise to %##*ing Traveller's Tales. :(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2011, 07:37:17 pm »

Are we going all the way up to PS1? Cuz there's a lot of good offerings there.

I dont know, but Legend of Dragoons is a game you HAVE to play its a masterpiece

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2011, 07:39:08 pm »

Well anytime you add a console your adding greats.

Heck I forgone the more popular classic games such as: Final fantasy 4 and 6 (1, I think, and 3) and Chrono Trigger. Breath of Fire was only mentioned because it was relatively unpopular until I believe 3 (or 4...)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]