Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Games like Birthright  (Read 6432 times)

Chandos

• Bay Watcher
  • bork bork bork!
    • View Profile
Games like Birthright
« on: April 08, 2011, 10:52:25 pm »

Does anyone remember Birthright? The computer game version where you could rule your kingdom (small patch of land among hundreds of other kingdoms) like in a strategy game, but you could also jump down to a RPG mode where you could do quests and crawl dungeons within the game world. I'm wondering if there are any other games like that. Any ideas?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games like Birthright
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 10:54:46 pm »

Well there is this game where you run a shop... and you jump into an RPG to restock.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 11:57:31 pm »

Fable III! /troll

The endgame of Mount & Blade: Warband is kind of like that. You can eventually rise pretty high in a faction or start your own, and the whole time there's quite a bit of fun slaughtering to do.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 03:06:29 am »

Does anyone remember Birthright? The computer game version where you could rule your kingdom (small patch of land among hundreds of other kingdoms) like in a strategy game, but you could also jump down to a RPG mode where you could do quests and crawl dungeons within the game world. I'm wondering if there are any other games like that. Any ideas?

I remember that game vividly. I still recall it as one of the best ideas ever for a strategy RPG hybrid, although the game itself was less than stellar.
Unfortunately, I've never found anything that was similiar to it.
Also, once you got Farids Coffer Of The Realm you'd pretty much won the game :)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 04:52:25 am »

Birthright! <3 Too bad the adventure graphics make my eyes bleed nowadays. Hmm, I supposed Sword of Aragon is a little similar. Despite the name, it has nothing to do with LOTR - it is AD&D strategy game from the eighties, available from abandonware sites. Umm, there is another old game Disciplines of Steel that combines strategy with classic RPG elements, though you start with just adventuring. Unfortunately it is devilishly hard and requires great patience to get anywhere. You get exp and loot really slow and have your butt kicked constantly. Mount & Blade has many good mods where you end up running a kingdom, like Prophecy of Pendor and Sword of Damocles.You know, I kind of hoped Elemental had been a game like this, too bad it wasn't. 

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 04:55:31 am »

Birthright! <3 Too bad the adventure graphics make my eyes bleed nowadays. Hmm, I supposed Sword of Aragon is a little similar. Despite the name, it has nothing to do with LOTR - it is AD&D strategy game from the eighties, available from abandonware sites. Umm, there is another old game Disciplines of Steel that combines strategy with classic RPG elements, though you start with just adventuring. Unfortunately it is devilishly hard and requires great patience to get anywhere. You get exp and loot really slow and have your butt kicked constantly. Mount & Blade has many good mods where you end up running a kingdom, like Prophecy of Pendor and Sword of Damocles.You know, I kind of hoped Elemental had been a game like this, too bad it wasn't.

Aragon was a kingdom in the middle-ages.

AragoRn is a LOTR character  ;)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 08:25:26 am »

Aragon was a kingdom in the middle-ages.

AragoRn is a LOTR character  ;)

Well, the game has absolutely nothing to do with the Spanish/Catalan kingdom either. :P I just thought most people will think about LOTR when seeing the name, the lacking R could have been typo after all. 

Chandos

• Bay Watcher
  • bork bork bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 01:22:26 pm »

I remember that game vividly. I still recall it as one of the best ideas ever for a strategy RPG hybrid, although the game itself was less than stellar.
Unfortunately, I've never found anything that was similiar to it.
Also, once you got Farids Coffer Of The Realm you'd pretty much won the game :)

It was one of the buggiest games I ever played, probably owing to its ambitious scope.

I played Mount & Blade in its early days, it didn't have any kingdom running to it at that time though. How deep is that side of the game now?

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 01:32:07 pm »

It isn't that much expanded now, but several mods multiply the depth considerably. The depth in vanilla mainly comes from relations with lords in your kingdom. Mods like Prophecy of Pendor, Brytenwalda, and Blood and Steel go long ways to add additional ways in which you interact with your realm, among other things.
!!&!!

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 01:32:41 pm »

I played Mount & Blade in its early days, it didn't have any kingdom running to it at that time though. How deep is that side of the game now?

Those two mods I mentioned have running your own fiefs and underlings in important role. You can set laws that affect the entire realm, including what kind of armies your vassals take to the field. There are multiple buildings and religions etc. I'm sure there are other mods with similar content, but those two are very popular and the ones I've played the most. I'll pretty much move on to Warband once both of those mods do the same . (Plus there is the excellent Last Days LOTR-mod that is being update to vanilla M&B, not Warband.) If you already have M&B, then it costs nothing to get those mods from the home forums.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 01:33:23 pm »

Birthright was good times! My first post on these forums nearly 4 years ago, I asked the same question as the op here..I wish there were other games like it
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 01:39:04 pm »

There is always King of the Dragon Pass. It is not exactly the same, it is pretty much unique, but... it has atmosphere, it is great, it makes me drool, I luvsies itzzz like Gollum luvz the Precious.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 01:59:41 pm »

Certain games of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series have this; you can be the ruler of a power, resign and go run off doing quests/etc for a while, building up a vast personal fortune, and start a new empire yourself (or with a couple trusted friends) or be a vassal to a greater power.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 02:34:56 pm »

Certain games of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series have this; you can be the ruler of a power, resign and go run off doing quests/etc for a while, building up a vast personal fortune, and start a new empire yourself (or with a couple trusted friends) or be a vassal to a greater power.

This. Do not play the newest ones. Ever.

Chandos

• Bay Watcher
  • bork bork bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 04:24:12 pm »

RoTK was one of my favorite series many many years ago. I guess I liked the same thing about it as I did with Birthright, being that tiny little kingdom/faction among many others, and working your way up.

Anyhow, I might give M&B a try again, although I would prefer a strategy game with a RPG option rather than vice versa.

Also, wouldn't a roguelike Birthright remake be uber cool?
Pages: [1] 2