Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Flood Help  (Read 889 times)

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flood Help
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 07:25:26 am »

You pasture does look a bit crowded, you might want to move any non-grazers to a 20x20 pasture underground.  Place a pasture over one of the large stockpiles and assign your chickens there.  Maybe make several 1x1 pastures around your stairwell and assign 1 dog to each.  Works great for discovering thieves.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 08:01:57 am »

Another thing to remember about pastures is that, apparently, grass grows back quicker if there are squares of dense grass next to depleted patches. So you might want to assign your grazers to individual 2 by X strips with a fallow strip of dense grass in between to seed the pastures.

Selenite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 03:09:13 pm »

Another question, don't wanna start another topic, so Imma just post here.
Alright, so I was looking for a magma pool, and I stumbled across a cavern, well I'm not sure if this is luck or whatever, but theres an open space where monsters can get in (I think not sure). But theres a downward slope right where my stairs are and everytime monsters try to come, they go down the slope, is that good? Since monsters can't get in for now. Flying monsters can come in though right? Well anyways, back to the main question, Should I leave my stairs unprotected like that and how will I go about to fix it, because theres a Mega Beast at the moment, and he can't get to my stairs as well, so I'm safe at the moment. I would go and kill the MB, but I have no arms, military or anything, not even a hospital, I'm scared if I take a couple or recruits and axedwarfs to go in, they'll get murdered.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 03:11:14 pm by Selenite »

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 03:13:34 pm »

Wall it up, or send military dorfs in to clear it. I assume the cave dwellers aren't coming up because none of them are too belligerent, that might change. They should certainly be able to use ramps, though, which is why I think they just don't care. What sort of beasties are we talking about?

Selenite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 03:19:03 pm »

Wall it up, or send military dorfs in to clear it. I assume the cave dwellers aren't coming up because none of them are too belligerent, that might change. They should certainly be able to use ramps, though, which is why I think they just don't care. What sort of beasties are we talking about?

As of the moment, there has been Trolls, Crundles, Bugbats and the MB is (A huge sauropod with lidless eyes. It has four stubby horns and it squirms and fidgets. Its saffron scales are jagged and overlapping. Beware its poisonous vapors!)

And best of my luck, I've just encountered an ambush, this might be the end of this fortress.

EDIT: JK, the goblin ambush was overrun pretty quick by 2 squads of a bunch of recruits with a couple of axedwarf and spearmen.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 03:24:28 pm by Selenite »

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2011, 03:30:37 pm »

The crundles and bugbats probably aren't anything to worry about, but if the FB or trolls see you, there might be trouble. They only kill what the see, I think. Station your squad there and build a wall real quick. Use Dwarf Therapist to whack the masonry labour on everydorf. Set up two layers of wall and suspend construction on the outer layer so dorfs won't stand there and wall their dumb selves out.

Selenite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2011, 03:31:47 pm »

The crundles and bugbats probably aren't anything to worry about, but if the FB or trolls see you, there might be trouble. They only kill what the see, I think. Station your squad there and build a wall real quick. Use Dwarf Therapist to whack the masonry labour on everydorf. Set up two layers of wall and suspend construction on the outer layer so dorfs won't stand there and wall their dumb selves out.

Gotcha, thanks.
Pages: 1 [2]