Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Flood Help  (Read 891 times)

Selenite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flood Help
« on: April 08, 2011, 07:48:33 pm »

Just started a new fortress, and was making another farm patch...well I was going to make a floodgate so I can get some water from the river, and accidentally dug out a piece of the wall which led to my room being flooded. How can I stop this flood/drain the water? Need help, Im going to play a different save until I find out how to fix it.
Pictures of the flooded room and above floor.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Flood Help
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 07:51:10 pm »

Hate to break it to you,

but as of .25 you no longer need to irrigate.

Well, it looks like you have a few doors up just forbid them and build a wall behind them (Swimming building destroyers can be a pain), shouldn't pose to much of a problem. If you still want to use the room, you could pump out the water. But I would just wall it up and dig a new place.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Selenite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 07:53:26 pm »

Hate to break it to you,

Well, it looks like you have a few doors up just forbid them and build a wall behind them (Swimming building destroyers can be a pain), shouldn't pose to much of a problem. If you still want to use the room, you could pump out the water. But I would just wall it up and dig a new place.

Dang, Well. Alright, thanks.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 08:52:33 pm »

Wall it off, head for the magma sea.  Then bring up magma in a pump stack and drop it into the river at the breach, which will then form a plug of obsidian.

YMMV, no guarantees...

Nibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 09:21:42 pm »

Will that river freeze in winter?

Selenite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 09:42:12 pm »

Yeah, rivers gonna freeze. I've walled it off for now, and I'll turn into obsidian, since I've found a magma pool.

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 10:14:32 pm »

Hate to break it to you,

wait.. you can just plant underground stuff on soil without irrigating? i tought it was just for overworld crops D:

that adds with the "completaly made out of stone barrel made on the craftsman workshop" that i learned in the last 10 minutes

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 10:21:04 pm »

Easy cheesy, just build a pump over it in winter when river is frozen and empty the whole cavern (should take 30 sec of pumping).

Once it's empty, block the hole with a wall and there you go with the new farm patch :D

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 10:45:43 pm »

Channel over the 2 tiles of hallway that are closest to the river.
Let the river (and those 2 tiles) freeze.
Dig stairs/ramps in the river, and dig out the hall tile closest to the river.  The other tile will be an ice wall, to keep the water in.
Install door/floodgate and link to a lever, or just build a wall.
Build a floor over the door/floodgate, and a pump to pump the water out.
When the river melts, pump the water out.
Remove pump, cover hole with constructed floor.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 12:04:28 am »

Make relief channels near where the water comes in, on both sides of the river mouth. Make bridges to act as a choke and dig away the sides of the river and into these two relief channels to empty the river. If it isn't enough, try digging a release channel underneath the river. You can punch a hole through the river bed and into this channel by causing a controlled cave-in.

Selenite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 12:38:00 am »

Easy cheesy, just build a pump over it in winter when river is frozen and empty the whole cavern (should take 30 sec of pumping).

Once it's empty, block the hole with a wall and there you go with the new farm patch :D

I like that, i'll do that.

Another question: Why are my animals in my pasture suffocating? About 5 have died to suffocation. Horse, Alpaca, and Llamas.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 03:59:27 am »

Sounds like you got a case of overcrowded pasture. Check your Reports to see if the animals are fighting each other.

Selenite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 06:52:13 am »

Sounds like you got a case of overcrowded pasture. Check your Reports to see if the animals are fighting each other.

Yeah, I checked, don't see anything about fighting, all it shows is, "Whatever animal" has suffocated. thats it.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 07:14:32 am »

That's odd. Check the wounds screens on the survivors. Oh, and just to be sure, you're checking [r]eports, not [a]nnouncements for the fighting, right?

Komus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 07:16:49 am »

You know I would never allow myself to cheat with saves, but after my hundredth plumbing mishap, I must admit sometimes its easier to just dfliquids.exe that gap - obsidianise the river whilst you correct it. Done ;D
Pages: [1] 2