Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: survival games that dont focus on killing?  (Read 1560 times)

mcdonaldjord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
survival games that dont focus on killing?
« on: April 08, 2011, 07:09:22 pm »

just something where you try to survive in the wild, man vs wild type thing.
i really cant find any that arnt just hack n slash besides unreal world.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: survival games that dont focus on killing?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 07:13:57 pm »

Stranded 2
Nom nom nom

mcdonaldjord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
"I love quoting myself!" - Fanofgaming

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

mcdonaldjord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 07:42:37 pm »

but are there any other games like this? besides stranded, URW and minecraft
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 07:46:25 pm by mcdonaldjord »

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 07:50:22 pm »

Not as many as there should be. We need more survival games.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 07:55:24 pm »

Well there is this 2d game where you are stranded. Though I can never remember the name (No it isn't stranded... though I am sure that is what its name is translated to)

Though you do have to kill birds for food... and kill fish to eat. You also have to kill trees to build a tree house.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 08:06:01 pm »

Well there is this 2d game where you are stranded. Though I can never remember the name (No it isn't stranded... though I am sure that is what its name is translated to)

Though you do have to kill birds for food... and kill fish to eat. You also have to kill trees to build a tree house.
Do you ever so happen to have to get rescued off the island?
Hello Hunam

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 08:08:07 pm »

Well you have a REALLY low chance everyday to be rescued (pathetically low)

But there are ways to increase it by writing SOS, sending out bottles, and starting bonfires. (heck anything you build increases this chance)

There is however some other things you can do in the game. Where suddenly your chance to be rescued plays more like a time limit.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 08:19:53 pm »

Well you have a REALLY low chance everyday to be rescued (pathetically low)

But there are ways to increase it by writing SOS, sending out bottles, and starting bonfires. (heck anything you build increases this chance)

There is however some other things you can do in the game. Where suddenly your chance to be rescued plays more like a time limit.
Yeah I know what that game is. Schiffbruch, I think.
Hello Hunam

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 08:28:42 pm »

I had plans at one point to work on a Stalker mod that was completely survival oriented.  Not that there wouldn't be combat, but the point of the mod would be to make survival in the harsh Zone wilderness the entire point of the game, with an optional discover-the-past-of-your-character story on the side.

I wanted to revamp the stash system (you can make them anywhere and sometimes your stuff gets stolen), make negative side effects of artifact or drug usage, add in illnesses and long-term injuries, eliminate the permanent encampments and make a better trading system with random stalkers, a real thirst/hunger system, etc...  I'll probably never actually work on it, but that was some hardcore daydreaming for a while.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 08:31:44 pm »

The last winter is another survival based game, killing stuff is up to the player though, we'll mostly anyway
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 08:58:28 pm »

There are at least three threads about survival games already. I feel like there are more like six, but I just did a ten second search to get you started.

Edit: Just found a more recent one I was thinking of.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:03:16 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.
Pages: [1] 2