Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Missmatch - New Community fort  (Read 7203 times)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: Missmatch - New Community fort
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2011, 09:17:26 am »

By the time it got to the point of needing to desalinate water, making constructions wasn't happening (wells desalinate too btw, if I'd had a rope or chain). Hell I couldn't even convince haika to brew anything.

So vote:
Rewind season or
Get re-dwarfed

Personally I'd rather live with my failure, but this is a community fort...
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2011, 09:25:07 am »

Rewind.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2011, 10:46:47 am »

hmm, well that's a little depressing. I suppose I don't really mind if you rewind or not. I don't think you quite have a handle on making the best community story. At least for me, I like more screenshots. (no offense, and you should keep trying, just stating my thoughts)

With the supplies you had, there shouldn't have been any issue at all with getting food and drink worked out. Looking at the map, I'd say the issue was the long hallways. Not sure why you spread everything out so much. The food stockpiles and everything were together nicely, but with the furniture stockpile all the way down the hallway, it made for getting barrels to brew harder, thus slowing you down on that end. Also, single wide hallways will slow it down further, as dwarves pause a bit, if their paths cross.

Though I suppose it was typically dwarven, thinking more about a magma trap than getting basic supplies going. XD
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:49:15 am by Haika »
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2011, 10:49:50 am »

Forbid the dwarves from stockpiling empty barrels in the general furniture storage and set the food stores to accept them.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2011, 10:50:48 am »

Rewind.

Forbid the dwarves from stockpiling empty barrels in the general furniture storage and set the food stores to accept them.
also, use the water pumping technique  ;)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2011, 11:02:50 am »

There'd be more pictures (and more text) if anything interesting actually happened. For the most part it's "look at the badgers".

I haven't had a problem with alcohol before, I normally make sure a farm and alcohol is set up first. I guess I just got distracted by the shiny volcano. My forts are normally in a better shape than this by the end of spring than this one was in mid-autumn.

Sorry guys. I'll rewind and sort it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 11:07:11 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Edosurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2011, 01:11:21 pm »

Both pumping and I believe wall grates purify water.
And as for war badgers for defense... they don't really do much.

I vote re-dwarf.
So now all we've got to do is to put a couple of grannies into the LHC and smash them against each other at relativistic speeds. Lather, rinse, repeat until we got results.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2011, 02:37:24 pm »

Day 193:
I don't know what was in Haika's wine, but it sure knocked me out and made me dream some really weird stuff. I died.
(this is the official rewind explanation)

We were celebrating the new still being operational already. Ow my head. I need a drink.

Day 206:
Migrants!
Butcher / record keeper
Miner/marksdwarf (odd combination)
Fish dissector
High master metalsmith / appraiser
Novice macedwarf
Child
"Novice"
duckling
turkey gobbler and poult
yak calf

We're also swimming in baby animals:
1 goat kid
3 puppies
4 bunnies
2 cavy pups
11 chicks
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 03:15:10 pm by Thief^ »

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2011, 03:34:27 pm »

Day 240:
Merchants are here. Quick people, what do we want them to bring next time?
Chose drinks and fish in the end. Politely ignored Haika's suggestion of olivine.

Day 251:
It is winter. We have plump helmets being farmed and "wine" being brewed, which should last us the winter.
The animal pastures are walled in, with the ramps on the inside removed. The only way to get to the entrance now is via the soon-to-be magma-trap.
The chicken coop has been expanded to accommodate all the chicks. The ones that grow into roosters will get butchered but more eggs never hurt.
Most importantly, no-one has died.

Map
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 05:42:36 pm by Thief^ »

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2011, 05:47:45 pm »

Day 270:
Progress report from Mipe:
The magma system for the forges is just waiting for floodgates.
The tin vein has been substantially mined.
wait, tin vein?

Day 329:
Mipe just had a close encounter with magma. Tapping the side of a volcano results in FAST-moving magma. She's not injured, and magma smelting of tin has begun.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 07:55:45 am by Thief^ »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2011, 01:16:48 am »

cool.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2011, 07:57:14 am »

I thought the new year deserved a bit more, so:

Day 336: (new year's eve)
TolyK raises a glass.
"We are gathered here to celebrate the 1-year anniversary of the founding of this fort. We're still lacking a few things," interrupted to mutterings of "yeah like a proper dining room", and "we're drinking in the bloody trade depot", and "my bedroom still has no door". TolyK waits for the murmurs to stop and carries on "... but we are a success none-the-less. We have tapped the power of Armok's blood itself! The volcano is ours!
"I'd like to thank Mipe especially, only a miner of her legendary abilities could break the final wall and get away unscathed."
"And now, party time!"

It is now spring.

Ugh, what does Haika put in that wine?

Map.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 07:59:12 am by Thief^ »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2011, 09:02:07 am »

lol.
well this is going good!
(don't open the cavarns until we get a militia  :D)
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2011, 09:13:43 am »

There are 6 or so militia-dwarves, with two axes, one crossbow and a single gauntlet between them.

How's tin for armour / weapons? I know if I find copper I can make bronze, which is awesome.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2011, 09:15:01 am »

tin - i don't think you can (without mods)

bronze is good.
use marksdwarves ;)
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8