Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: barrels obsolete?  (Read 3306 times)

Mckee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: barrels obsolete?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 10:34:18 am »

Considering the abundance of stone, the pots are certainly the better of the two in terms of resources. However, skilling up carpentry is usefull. I'm currently making both barrells and pots, but I've got a lot of surplus wood and need lots of containers making quickly.
'What good is a lesson if your idiot is too dead to learn from it?'

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 12:16:39 pm »

Pots can be made from glass too. Just be careful about repeat jobs on a magma furnace, I've for a 31x31 stockpile dedicated to green glass pots that's nearly full...

Pots cannot be used for the ash/dyer/soap workshops either.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 12:36:19 pm »

I tend to start with no-skill miners, so barrels are easier to make in the beginning.  Later I switch to clay or rock pots, and metal barrels if I have a bunch of non-military ore (and magma).  I also make barrels for a dyeing, can't have my dorfs storing things in plain bags.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 01:30:02 pm »

Pots also can't be used for processing Sweet Pods into Dwarven Syrup. If you plan on that being a significant part of your agriculture this could be a downside to relying solely on pots.

Komus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 02:52:01 pm »

I felt a bit dirty when I made my first rock pot... It strikes me as a bit too easy? Clay I can justify to myself, but carving lumps of rock into handy food storage seems a bit illogical... I enjoyed having to set up tree farms or trade for wood, maybe sacrifice a little metal. [obligatory anti-elf sentiment goes here]

It's probably just me though, and I used dfliquids today to save my fort so I can hardly talk about challenge  ::)

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 03:22:31 pm »

waait a moment

damnit we can now trade booze with elves! and i didnt realize!
no more need for trading 11111111 single crafts carefully avoiding the wooden bins.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 04:19:01 pm »

Didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but - now that wood is in decent supply, consider investigating Fertilizer for precious crops, as well as early farming. It increases food yield significantly.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 06:30:17 pm »

Didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but - now that wood is in decent supply, consider investigating Fertilizer for precious crops, as well as early farming. It increases food yield significantly.

Toady would have to change game balance where 2 farmers can't feed 200 dwarves... or that you would need more like 1-2 tiles farmed per dwarf year-round.  Most of the other food industries on that scale would require 4-8 dwarves.

Even in my current embark, with dense forest, wood bins are a far higher priority then potash.

Vhorthex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Medieval Nerd - Youtube Page
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 06:53:24 pm »

The clear glass industry always needs more wood. Plus I like the more exotic underground wood so I make huge tree farms in the soil.

Tree farms? How do you plant trees?

D:
Vhorthex
Patience is a virtue.

Miss old PC-DOS gamse? Check out my YouTube page for 10 Minute videos of ye olde games!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMedievalNerd?feature=mhum

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2011, 07:53:59 pm »

Hang on, you can make pots out of stone?  :o -scrambles to churn out a few dozen of those- Sieges will have even less effect on me! Mwahaha!
I though you could only make them of clay... *doing the same thing as Lielac*
Thirded, brb.

The clear glass industry always needs more wood. Plus I like the more exotic underground wood so I make huge tree farms in the soil.
Tree farms? How do you plant trees?

D:
You don't. Underground "flora" reproduce by spores, so once you open a cavern, fungus and "trees" start growing wherever there is mud or soil. Underground tree farms are effectively big empty rooms with natural dirt (or muddied natural stone) floors where stuff from caves is allowed to grow freely.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2011, 07:58:34 pm »

Tbh my forts are drowning in food anyway. Getting even more is not a priority, or even desirable in most cases. However, turning that potash into pearlash lets me run a huge clear glass industry. I am currently building a clear glass pyramid over the magma sea that will be submerged when it is finished. I've already gone through about 750 blocks and will probably need at least a few hundred more. Not to mention all the stuff decorated with clear glass gems and the clear glass coffin every dwarf owns. 
Memento Mori

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2011, 08:01:58 pm »

I never make barrels anymore. Its awesome. Also all of my booze stockpiles can also have that uniform look.

You can even make pots out of glass, metal, clay, and wood. I prefer stone because its so plentiful.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2011, 08:04:58 pm »

The only reason I make wood barrels now is for the workshops that need them. Stone pots are just plain awesome, and I actually have a use for the stonecrafters that migrate in now, instead of adding them to my hauler squads, and preventing them from completing their moods.

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
  • Retirement homes are for lobsters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2011, 09:25:36 pm »

Ironically my current fort is one that I've cut down the most trees on. I only cut the forest outside my fort and there are plenty of trees inside my walls, and my current stockpile is about 10 x 20 and it's full...

Good lord! If my math is trustworthy, I believe your elves are PO'd. Then again, when are they not...
Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Presumably, they are lining up to dump them into the baby furnaces.

DaJonkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2011, 10:06:16 pm »

I completely missed this new feature, thanks a lot for the information guys. :D
- Protector of those who are always used in or are victim of dangerous experiments, random acts of violence, deliberate acts of unnecessary violence, unjust punishment by false blame of error, justed punishment by blame of trivial everyday stuff, oh and mythological species racism in general. (I help them with law stuff and filing basics forms, as claws, tentacles and whatnot can make that difficult... no forms no benefits, travel coverage, ect apparantly in this world *sigh*).
Pages: 1 [2] 3