Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: barrels obsolete?  (Read 3312 times)

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
barrels obsolete?
« on: April 08, 2011, 12:09:53 am »

Thanks to pots ability to hold food and drinks are these any reasons to use wood for barrels? Stone being in such supply and usually junk to be disposed of, can wood sole be used for bins and beds now? Are there any plans to make bin equivalents from other than precious wood or metal?

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: barrels obsolete?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 12:26:00 am »

Main reason to use barrels is they're training carpentry, a pretty useful skill for making furniture and the better the quality, the more positive thoughts for your dorfs, whereas making stone pots trains stonecrafting, which is useful for making more stone pots, nest boxes, obsidian short swords and vendor trash. So they both have their advantages. Also, woodcutting increases physical attributes nicely and doesn't affect moods, to having future haulers clear the map to feed the carpenter is good training.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 12:35:07 am »

Could use both. Barrels to begin, when you have limited stone, IF you have limited stone, then pots when you have a ridiculous amount of stone.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 12:51:50 am »

I will answer my own question a bit by adding you cannot process sweet pods to pots, only barrels if you want sweet sweet syrup.

PlaySegaWithHarrisonFord

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody wants to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 02:25:08 am »

Wooden barrels also have the advantage of pissing off elves.
The shuttle program, which was originally conceived as a method for mining adamantine from space, ran into problems following the !!Challenger!! and !!Columbia!! accidents.  The fun was later blamed on gremlin saboteurs.  When questioned on the matter, NASA administrator Urist McZefram was quoted as saying, "more blood for the blood god!"

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 02:41:42 am »

Hang on, you can make pots out of stone?  :o -scrambles to churn out a few dozen of those- Sieges will have even less effect on me! Mwahaha!

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 04:00:11 am »

Yes, in 31.2x, Toady added the ability to make a barrel equivalent out of stone (at a Craft workshop, not a mason workshop, and it uses the Stonecraft skill).  It's *very* nice...

Now the only thing I use wood for is bins and beds.

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 04:06:41 am »

In short, yeah. Wooden barrels are fairly useless, much like wooden chairs ect.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 04:21:13 am »

Now the only thing I use wood for is bins and beds.
And ashes (for glazing and lye for soap).

And charcoal.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 04:58:40 am »

Yeah, wood is still needed for the lye maker's and ashery.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 07:14:54 am »

Ironically my current fort is one that I've cut down the most trees on. I only cut the forest outside my fort and there are plenty of trees inside my walls, and my current stockpile is about 10 x 20 and it's full...
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 07:19:03 am »

The clear glass industry always needs more wood. Plus I like the more exotic underground wood so I make huge tree farms in the soil.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 07:28:49 am »

Yeah, wood is still needed for the lye maker's and ashery.

Wood is needed for lots of stuff. Mainly for burning it down. That's why using stone for barrels may be a good idea.

Large stone pots do weight about 4 times more than typical wooden barrels though.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:14:41 am by Dwarfoloid »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 10:15:38 am »

Hang on, you can make pots out of stone?  :o -scrambles to churn out a few dozen of those- Sieges will have even less effect on me! Mwahaha!
I though you could only make them of clay... *doing the same thing as Lielac*

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 10:29:20 am »

Yep, I haven't made a barrel in like a RL month.
Pages: [1] 2 3