Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Black & White 2 question  (Read 2312 times)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: Black & White 2 question
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 09:27:45 pm »

How about Creature Isle and the first one? Do I need to shell out $100 for a game that isn't even compatible with my OS to get a $10.59 expansion pack that is?
$100?! Dude, I think you're getting ripped off.

Anyway, BW1CI does require vanilla BW1.
It's scary, but true.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-White-Pc/dp/B00004UE0O/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1302229379&sr=1-3
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 09:30:34 pm »

That's... ridiculous. Utterly and stupidly ridiculous.

Well, I guess with only 1 left it kinda makes sense...
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 09:31:13 pm »

How about Creature Isle and the first one? Do I need to shell out $100 for a game that isn't even compatible with my OS to get a $10.59 expansion pack that is?
$100?! Dude, I think you're getting ripped off.

Anyway, BW1CI does require vanilla BW1.
It's scary, but true.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-White-Pc/dp/B00004UE0O/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1302229379&sr=1-3

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-and-White-Creature-Isle-51519-PC-Games-/360353939802?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item53e6c4c15a

There's B&W1 and CI for $50.

EDIT: Actually, just search ebay.  There's loads of them going for way cheaper than that.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:32:46 pm by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 09:32:17 pm »

Creature Isle... isn't really all that worth it...

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 09:34:15 pm »

Yeah. It's kinda... boring. Unless you like having a FREAKING HUGE pet or like building things with no one throwing fireballs at the rest of your city while you're away.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 12:53:50 am »

50 dollars is way too expensive too.
I got B&W1 a couple years ago and creatures isle for some $20.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 01:32:16 am »

Creature Isle actually has a 'timebomb' type of bug that was never patched. You'll notice your island's villagers start making an epic journey across the entire world, eventually dying en masse due to starvation, because they are trying to path to an area in the village which (for some reason) is treated as only accessible after making a lap of the entire landmass.

As a result, you'll eventually end up with a dead island, no matter what you do.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 04:00:11 am »

Creature Isle actually has a 'timebomb' type of bug that was never patched. You'll notice your island's villagers start making an epic journey across the entire world, eventually dying en masse due to starvation, because they are trying to path to an area in the village which (for some reason) is treated as only accessible after making a lap of the entire landmass.

As a result, you'll eventually end up with a dead island, no matter what you do.

Skate TRAIN OR DIE!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 08:53:24 pm »

I got offered a copy of number 1 for free, and it seems pretty good so far.

The behaviour of the Creature astounded me with its seemingly total lack of logic.  Then I read the two short guides here.  Following some of the advice given has made this game at least 500% easier and 1000% more awesome.

It's got some pretty damn complex AI in there for it's time (and indeed this one)

Seriously, read those guides.  Even if you have no intention of ever re/playing this.  The patches also worked fine for me on Win7 32bit.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2011, 09:31:03 pm »

Odd we couldn't get the patches to work here.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2011, 09:34:07 pm »

The behaviour of the Creature astounded me with its seemingly total lack of logic.  Then I read the two short guides here.  Following some of the advice given has made this game at least 500% easier and 1000% more awesome.
Wow... just... wow. That's amazing.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2011, 09:39:22 pm »

One thing I like about the first though: Vortexes (at least, I think that's what they're called, can't remember, been a while since I played the first).

You can literally take EVERYTHING with you to the next land. EVERYTHING. Giving me more fences (I like them for decorative purposes. Don't judge me!) to play with.

Just expect a LOT of lag.
I built a major town where it was going to appear, just for the luls.
At the end of the... 3rd land? It's where you defeat Lethys, and you get a Vortex back the first land near this huge village. I put a teleporter by my temple, and another one on the Vortex. Raise the totem all the way, and start with about 150 people in the next level.

Of course, I also found out a problem(in the next land) about having 150 people worshipping at the same tiime. If you drop someone into the crowd, it turns into a self-perpetuating mosh pit, which can't be stopped, and doesn't generate any prayer power.

Wow... just... wow. That's amazing.
Screw that, I just tie the Creature to a tree, and go about raining destruction on infidel villages.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2011, 01:56:44 am »

It just occurred to me, though I've never actually attempted it in the game.
Couldn't you saturate an enemy town with missionaries with the intention of them eating all their food? That would happen right?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2011, 02:15:09 am »

The largest problem with training your creature even AFTER you know what to do?

The fact that you have to be psychic to know what your doing a lot of the time. Dogs are easier to understand then the Black and White creature.

Id figure the best compromise would be between 1 and 2... where you could just outright tell the creature what you don't want it to do.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2011, 07:17:09 am »

It just occurred to me, though I've never actually attempted it in the game.
Couldn't you saturate an enemy town with missionaries with the intention of them eating all their food? That would happen right?
I dunno. If you put enough missionaries, the town will eventually convert anyway, both from the fact that your missionaries change the locals' beliefs, and the fact your missionaries already believe in you(which tips the scales in your favor if they outnumber the locals).

You can, in fact, kill everyone in an enemy village, then drop just one person in and claim it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3