Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Black & White 2 question  (Read 2310 times)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Black & White 2 question
« on: April 07, 2011, 08:36:06 pm »

Search failed me for finding it's thread, so can anybody tell me if B&W 2's expansion pack is stand alone, or do I need the main game for it?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Black & White 2 question
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 08:38:21 pm »

Well, if the backside of the game container box I have is to be believed, you do need the main game for it.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 08:54:17 pm »

Yes, you do
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 09:02:33 pm »

OP has been answered definitively, so I'm gonna steal the thread  :o

I've recently come across this series and for the life of me can't work out which to get.  They seem to be very different from what I've read, so which does BAY12 recommend?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 09:07:24 pm »

I personally prefer the second, but that's just me. Here's what each one has:

Mostly god power and very little city building. No warfare: First.

City building and warfare wrapped in a little god power: Second.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 09:15:09 pm »

I liked the second better just because it is the second.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 09:15:37 pm »

The first one is shallow and a little disappointing but you can spend a lot of time trying to make your pet do stuff; the second one is repetitive and a little disappointing and your pet isn't any fun anymore, but at least you can build twenty story high apartments then tip them over.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 09:16:20 pm »

The reason why the second is often preferable to the first is because it removes much of the game stopping stupidity involved.

Though the first is more epic and features some additions that are oddly missing from the second (like scars)

Actually one problem I have with Lionhead is they often bow too much to public pressure to remove neat features like scars.

Fable 1s scar feature was fine it just needed some tuning. Though honestly the Fable series REALLY needs a kick in the pants, it is just SOOO easy.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 09:17:40 pm »

Care to give a few examples of the stupidity?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 09:20:57 pm »

One thing I like about the first though: Vortexes (at least, I think that's what they're called, can't remember, been a while since I played the first).

You can literally take EVERYTHING with you to the next land. EVERYTHING. Giving me more fences (I like them for decorative purposes. Don't judge me!) to play with.

Just expect a LOT of lag.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 09:21:34 pm »

Care to give a few examples of the stupidity?

Let me think

1) Your Lumberjacks have cut every living tree down
2) Your creature has learned to shoot fireballs on civilians, your temple, or trees (Not really bad)
3) You can't influence a neighbouring civilisation because they are too far away
4) We need FOOD, We need WOOD, We need HOMES, BLAW BLAW BLAW BLAW BLAW BLAW BLAW! (complaining)
5) The update for Black and White 1 requires a patch you cannot install on newer systems. Worse, this patch is almost required.
6) Ways to get to the next level disapear, unwinnable situations. (Second level has this)
7) Creatures cannot fight other creatures unless they are around the same size (it can make one particular level REALLY hard)
8) For a creature to not be a weakling you have to make them weight lift rocks for a long time

I could go on...

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 09:24:35 pm »

I actually thought those points were bonuses until I read 5 6 and 7.

Number 2 it is then :)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 09:24:57 pm »

How about Creature Isle and the first one? Do I need to shell out $100 for a game that isn't even compatible with my OS to get a $10.59 expansion pack that is?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 09:25:14 pm »

One thing I like about the first though: Vortexes (at least, I think that's what they're called, can't remember, been a while since I played the first).

You can literally take EVERYTHING with you to the next land. EVERYTHING. Giving me more fences (I like them for decorative purposes. Don't judge me!) to play with.

Just expect a LOT of lag.
I built a major town where it was going to appear, just for the luls.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 09:26:55 pm »

How about Creature Isle and the first one? Do I need to shell out $100 for a game that isn't even compatible with my OS to get a $10.59 expansion pack that is?
$100?! Dude, I think you're getting ripped off.

Anyway, BW1CI does require vanilla BW1.
Pages: [1] 2 3