Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Bride  (Read 2127 times)

Vic Romano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Bride
« on: April 07, 2011, 04:50:40 pm »

My female swordsdwarf has just been given a job.  Kill Bil.  Bil Dashedbutton the Swordsman.  I wish i had named her Beatrix.

Edit:

We are now standing atop a rainy hill, ready to do battle.  I'm gonna say that the *adamantine short sword* I have is as close to a Hattori Hanzo as I can get, so this should be interesting.

2nd Edit:

After a short swordfight, in which Bill was crippled, I punched him in the upper body until I hit an artery in his heart, and waited for him to die.  Only in dwarf fortress.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 05:21:37 pm by Vic Romano »

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Bride
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 05:13:50 pm »

Hattori Hanzo is like, historys greatest* ninja. I think you mean katana, but I don't know.. :o

Editted because Hanzo was not the first, just the best.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 05:18:42 pm by SpiralDimentia »
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Xenxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 06:19:52 pm »

Hattori Hanzo is like, historys greatest* ninja. I think you mean katana, but I don't know.. :o

Editted because Hanzo was not the first, just the best.

you ever watched kill bill the Hanzo guy is the guy who makes the best swords in the world in the movie

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 06:20:54 pm »

I've never seen it. But I do know that Hitori Hanzo [or something] was the world's greatest ninja. Even his death was super ninja like. He's pretty much my hero.
Legacy of Insightshields

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 08:02:27 pm »

Hattori Masanari (Also known as Hanzou) was one of Tokugawa Ieyasu's cavalry generals, a master of spear fighting.  A good scout and general overall, his spear was hung at Hanzomon, a gate dedicated to him after his death.

Although in this context, the Hattori Hanzou in question was just a swordsmith down in Okinawa, if I remember the movie correctly.  A good swordsmith, though.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 08:12:57 pm »

Quote from: Ben Thompson
Hanzo Hattori was the leader of the Iga Ninja Clan in 16th Century Japan and is considered by many to be the most badass ninja to ever live.  His exploits have become the thing of legend in his native land, and all who study the arts of Ninjitsu and Kicking Ass look to Hanzo as the shining example of what it means to be totally fucking awesome.

Taken from
http://www.badassoftheweek.com/hanzo.html

Also from that article;
Quote from: Ben Thompson
Chiba even reprised the role for the movie Kill Bill, when his badass skills and Hanzo Steel were needed to help The Bride exact brutal revenge on her mortal enemy, and dismember an entire gang of wannabe Yakuza dumbasses in the process.
Hyuk hyuk.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 08:24:20 pm by SpiralDimentia »
Legacy of Insightshields

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 09:31:46 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hanzo of the movie isn't related to the historical Hanzō except by name. The historical version has been heavily distorted by legend, much like Honda Tadakatsu, who participated in over 60 battles during his lifetime, but was never wounded or defeated, and sparked a legend in his own lifetime that he was invincible.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 10:49:25 pm »

Lol. Ninjas were, more realistically, a bunch of paid thugs, using stealth and treachery to kill people for cash.
Woooooow. Like climbing in someone's toilet and stabbing them to death when they sit down is somehow badass. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 11:13:40 pm »

Lol. Ninjas were, more realistically, a bunch of paid thugs, using stealth and treachery to kill people for cash.
Woooooow. Like climbing in someone's toilet and stabbing them to death when they sit down is somehow badass. :P
Not exactly, because historically, there is not a single confirmed death by ninja. That's not to say it never could have happened. If they did the job right, say a little poison in the tea, and by the time the guy's dead the ninja is long gone, nobody even knew he was there.

Ninja clans were usually tied to a specific ruling clan, and used primarily as spies, to gather information on rivals, or battle plans and the like. Someone who could sneak in, steal or memorize a map of troop movements, and sneak back out would be usual case, especially considering the way samurai honor worked, assassination as a tactic would be greatly looked down upon.

Stories distorting the truth of events, plus modern media, have very much skewed the modern perceptions of ninjas away from what was the reality of them.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 11:15:15 pm by Hammerstar »

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 01:22:56 am »

Here's an interview with an author of a historical book featuring ninjas:

http://monstertalk.skeptic.com/unmasking-the-ninja
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Tlc2011

• Bay Watcher
  • ..No idea what to put here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 02:50:32 pm »

Hattori Masanari (Also known as Hanzou) was one of Tokugawa Ieyasu's cavalry generals, a master of spear fighting.  A good scout and general overall, his spear was hung at Hanzomon, a gate dedicated to him after his death.

Although in this context, the Hattori Hanzou in question was just a swordsmith down in Okinawa, if I remember the movie correctly.  A good swordsmith, though.

And THAT is why i play Japan in Civ IV.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 04:00:03 pm »

That gate is dedicated to him because Ieyasu told him to defend that gate from any and everything. It's never been conquered and still stands to this day.
Legacy of Insightshields