Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Labyrinths  (Read 2045 times)

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Labyrinths
« on: April 07, 2011, 03:38:58 pm »

Welp. I got a quest to kill a minotaur, I travel half way across the world, lose all my companions, and break my thumb during a bogeyman attack to find that this bastard is holed up in a labyrinth. This is the first time I've seen a labyrinth, and want to know if there's anything I should look out for. Is it true to legend, having only one path, or is it more like a maze? And should I bring enough sand to leave a breadcrumb trail, or is it easy enough to find my way without? And lastly, is there anything to be wary of besides the minotaur?

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Labyrinths
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 03:47:07 pm »

It's like a giant maze, but the minotaur usually comes to find you when you enter. I've been to several, and the minotaurs always meet me not far form the door. I don't even have to explore them fully.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

The Tyrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Si non confectus, non reficiat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 04:19:17 pm »

I've only been in one "Labyrinth", it was actually quite small, but worth exploring to find the minotaur's loot!
Stove has created The Consequences of Biting, a legendary MSPaint engraving. It is studded with pixels, encrusted with pixels, and menaces with spikes of pixels and hanging rings of pixels. On the item is an image of SOME SERIOUS SHIT.

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 06:09:30 pm »

Yeah, they usually have loot room somewhere. Which may contain quite a bit of stuff.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 10:03:44 pm »

Wait, wait. There are, in this game, actual labyrinths, which have in them actual minotaurs? Why has no one told me?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 10:07:00 pm »

Wait, wait. There are, in this game, actual labyrinths, which have in them actual minotaurs? Why has no one told me?

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Minotaur

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 10:09:38 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Minotaur

I feel offended that no one told me about that. (Not really.) And in latin class, we were just learning about that story, too...

I am going to find one. Right now. I won't sleep until I do.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 01:12:20 am »

If there's one thing you need to watch out for in there, it's the god damn minotaur!

I lost 3/4 of my companions once, took quite a beating myself, and it took ages to kill it even with legendary axe and shield user. That first encounter it gored two of my companions in the face in the first two moves of the fight. Both died instantly. They consistently do serious damage to any target, thanks in part to coming equipped with a weapon, and survive some horrifying injuries. You're going alone, for whatever reason you didn't turn and go home when you lost your companions, so I don't expect good news.
There are no other beasts, traps, or whatever else though, and the maze isn't so large that you won't be able to path back to the entrance when you're done, assuming you can perform the average newspaper maze.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 01:03:03 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 04:21:20 am »

My first minotaur [adventurer] encounter was interesting. It consisted of my companions all getting lost, me receiving the occasional "xyz has been struck down!" message, then finally confronting the beast in a tight corridor. It stabbed me through the heart with an iron spear. :(

ghosteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Charles Bronson
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 04:46:24 pm »

Welp. I got a quest to kill a minotaur, I travel half way across the world, lose all my companions, and break my thumb during a bogeyman attack to find that this bastard is holed up in a labyrinth. This is the first time I've seen a labyrinth, and want to know if there's anything I should look out for. Is it true to legend, having only one path, or is it more like a maze? And should I bring enough sand to leave a breadcrumb trail, or is it easy enough to find my way without? And lastly, is there anything to be wary of besides the minotaur?

In short, no, they are not real labyrinths, they are, as you said, mazes, luckily, they arnt that big, and the minotaur usually comes to you within a few minutes of exploration
I've killed enough humans to know their patterns.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 12:38:50 pm »

w00t!
Why did I not know about this minotaurus lairus either?