Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does freezing to death work? [references spoilers]  (Read 598 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How does freezing to death work? [references spoilers]
« on: April 07, 2011, 03:13:49 pm »

I've been playing around with ultra-low-temperature forts, and it's occured to me as I'm sitting ready to breach the spoiler spires that I have no idea what actually controls the damage creatures take from freezing, and whether it would work on any/all of the clowns.

If I have the only path into the fort proper walk across a long zone of -20,000-embark-degree terrain, what sorts of clowns will survive the walk? On a more abstract level, what tokens control vulnerability to cold?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: How does freezing to death work? [references spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 03:33:33 pm »

All the spoilers' materials have been altered so that they take no damage from heat or cold. I have had snow creatures swimming in magma, and steam creatures on a glacier.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 03:40:01 pm »

All the spoilers' materials have been altered so that they take no damage from heat or cold. I have had snow creatures swimming in magma, and steam creatures on a glacier.
I thought freezing into solid ice worked like obsidian formation -- I.E., instant death.

I'm not very familiar with the process because I rarely embark on maps that freeze (warmblooded dwarves) but this was my understand.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 03:52:24 pm »

Their melting and boiling points are similarly affected.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 04:33:44 pm »

Freezing to death works with all creatures AFAIK.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 05:00:18 pm »

I thought freezing into solid ice worked like obsidian formation -- I.E., instant death.

I'm not very familiar with the process because I rarely embark on maps that freeze (warmblooded dwarves) but this was my understand.

Standing in a tile as it turns to ice indeed certain death, as far as I know, but I meant just wandering around on a sufficiently cold area. It kills mundane creatures relatively quickly--and at the temperatures I'm working with, damages their corpse until there's nothing left of them.

So it looks like to make hell freeze over I'll have to add water. Thanks!

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 05:09:31 pm »

Standing in a tile as it turns to ice indeed certain death, as far as I know, but I meant just wandering around on a sufficiently cold area. It kills mundane creatures relatively quickly--and at the temperatures I'm working with, damages their corpse until there's nothing left of them.

So it looks like to make hell freeze over I'll have to add water. Thanks!

Freeze hell in some quick, easy steps! Just add water!
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 08:11:33 pm »

I'll see if I can use the ice blocks containing the demons in some diabolically dwarf-intensive ice sculpture; I had already planned on pouring a huge block of ice and seeing how many miners would freeze to death while working on carving it up.