Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tale of dwarves and the werewolf  (Read 907 times)

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tale of dwarves and the werewolf
« on: April 07, 2011, 11:22:24 am »

The genesis dwarves of Brainrelic had been mining for metal for months. They had carved a nice fortress for themselves, but its forges had been cold since its founding and the smiths idly hauling rocks for the lack of working materials. The fortress seemed worthless, but there's something valuable in every fort; Adamantine.

Without proper practice the blue metal would have been wasted in sub-quality gear, but the dwarves knew of someone who would need the material more than its products. Fluffy Rapefur, the werewolf heroine of legends, had retired in a small village a year before the Brainrelics founding. Her gigantic build wouldn't fit into armor designed for dwarves nor humans so she had crafted her own clothing from plants she gathered and animals she hunted. Maybe she could use the strong strands of adamantine to weave herself clothes that, while inferior to armor, would still be far superior to plain plant fiber cloth.

The dwarves sealed their fortress, dedicating all their effort into mining and extracting adamantine for the greater good of their champion. The gods themselves must have been moved by their selfless effort, as while mining the adamantine spires the miners noticed a patch of cobalt, which extended into a vein sufficient to get the metal industries running. The fortress could be worth saving after all!

Then, a disaster struck. The vast quantities of valuable adamantine the dwarves had produced had caught the attention of a balrog, against whom the fumbling underequipped militia of two dwarves wouldn't stand a chance. While the balrog burned the ground and slaughtered the livestock, the dwarves walled up their entrance to return to their adamantine extraction with grim determination.

About a month later, a group of migrants arrived. The balrog, frustrated by the hiding dwarves had been venting its fury on local wildlife until it spotted the frigthened migrants collecting themselves in the nearby hills. There was no hope, but the migrants grouped together to at least go down fighting, when another miracle happened.

A pet mastiff of one of the migrants, charging ahead of its owner, leaped down against the face of the gigantic balrog. By sheer luck, its teeth chipped the balrogs soulgem, dropping the lifeless demon instantly before the dwarves looking in disbelief. Not only had they survived the onslaught of a greater demon, they had also freed the dwarves of Brainrelic from their self imposed tomb.

Determined that the value of the adamantine hoard was too much to protect by themselves, the dwarves hauled all the extracted strands to the surface, onto the altar they had built for Fluffy to reclaim them from. A small goblin siege was quickly rushed away by the dwarves and the passing caravan guards, and the dwarves left Brainrelic for good.

Soon afterwards, word of the dwarves devotion reached Rapefur. She had been living with the keepers for two years now, having left adventuring because of its ever increasing dangers. She was brave, but the numerous scars she had suffered indicated that no matter how exeptionally you weave your clothes, the risk of losing life or limbs by random grazes was always there. But now, the promise of adamantine clothing rallied her into new adventures, a chance to stand toe to toe with the properly armored soldiers of the land.

Her quest wasn't going to be easy, as the dwarven empire laid almost on the opposite end of the huge world. Still determined by the dwarves sacrifices, the grabbed her old gear and headed east in search of the fabled Brainrelic and its adamantine loot.

During her travels, she fought many bandits and monsters, further increasing her fame where ever she went. She collected many followers to travel safely even at nights, but the harsh wilderness and opposing forces left her alone time after time. Still, she pushed on until she arrived to the shore of the Clear Waters.

The great lake expanded beyond her sight in both directions, but there were several small islands along the straight route over it. Used to sleeping at days and traveling at nights, Fluffy rested until the cold night when the lake froze over, and headed over the ice to the nearest island to the northeast. She arrived safely before the morning, and rested until the ice was strong enough to support her weight again.

She continued this for roughly halfway through the waters, until she could no longer see new islands to head for. This looked like the end of this shortcut, but she really, really didn't want to just walk all the way back...

...and this leads to my current situation. How can I move the adventurer to the next shore on the world map? I'm going to handwave any modding, hacking et cetera by saying she just walked around the lake while growling and swearing constantly, because I'd really rather try anything than the uneventful walk back.

On another note, is there any other way to armor werewolves or similiarly sized creatures?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Tale of dwarves and the werewolf
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 02:22:02 pm »

First, you could change werewolves' speed to [SPEED:10] or something similarly low, in their raws in the region's save folder's raw folder. folder. This would allow you to trek across the water probably before dawn, as long as it's less than 7-nights journey with normal speed. If it thaws before morning, save and make their SWIM_SPEED identical to their SPEED to make it across before it freezes. Change these back afterwords.

And to produce proper adamantine armor for werewolves you'd need to make the werewolf civ playable in fort mode, which requires a new world gen. You could try making dwarves the same size as werewolves though. If the game then attempts to make armor fitting specifically to the dwarves it will be identical to what your werewolf adventurer needs. Again, change their BODY_SIZE in the region's raw folder.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Jothki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 08:27:38 pm »

Is the lake permafrozen, or will it eventually thaw out completely if you camp for a few months?

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 12:30:34 pm »

The lake thaws every day when the sun comes out. The biggest problem however is that there are huge walls of ice in the middle of the lake, which make moving where I'd assume to be land impossible. I guess adding [FLYING] tag to the werewolf raws would help, but I havent found the werewolves in the raws due to my sub-par modding knowledge.