Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28

Author Topic: [Scrubbedcreams] Terrifying Glacier (Community Reclaim) - Needs Overseers  (Read 31626 times)

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The snow crunched underfoot, Iggy McNatz and his six brave companions were lost. He knew they were lost, they knew they were lost, the only thing they could do was to find shelter before the last of the food and the beer gave out.

"We should have turned left by Boatmurdered, not right." Iggy had heard the same grumbling over and over for the past week.

Half dead from the cold his attention waned and he did not notice the branch sticking through the ice until it caught his foot sending him face first into the snow. He rolled over and automatically checked his ankle for a strain or break, finding none his half-frostbitten brain registered the fact that there shouldn't be a branch in the snow, and that the "branch" was frighteningly white, with a strange nub at the end.

It was a bone, an arm bone, the base where it was still buried under the snow was covered in the remnants of pig tail fiber, it was a Dwarven bone. With a start Iggy jumped to his feet, ignoring the twinge in his ankle, and with a start realized the ice wall they had been trudging towards was in fact not a natural wall at all.

They had found the remains of the lost fort of Scrubbedcreams, they were all going to die.

Player List:
1 - Ignatzami
2 - Urist_McArathos
3 - peregarrett
4 - Ghills
5 - Ignatzami
6 - Sutremaine - 130 dead (277 total)
7 - erthel - Skipped
8 - UristMcKhornate - Inactive, Skipped
9 - Conan - 130 dead (277 total)
10 - Farmerbob - 154 dead (305 total)
11 - SolPyre - 157 dead (309 total)
12 - Katana
13 - Ifeno
14 - Ghills - Postponed
15 - mcguinty - Current
16 - Ghills

Save is here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4765 (Updated for End of Turn 13)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 02:25:47 pm by ignatzami »
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Scrubbedcreams] Terrifying Glacier (Reclaim)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 10:38:13 am »

Original fort here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=80124.0

I started out with a food and drink heavy embark profile, lots of seeds, and a fairly bland mix of skills on the dwarfs.

The surface is an utter mess, clothing and objects everywhere, no sign of the forgotten beasts though.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 11:01:55 am »

The surface is an utter mess, clothing and objects everywhere, no sign of the forgotten beasts though.

I spoke too soon, first group's dead. Trying again.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 11:12:44 am »

Diary of Iggy McNatz 6th Granite 1056

Of the seven brave dwarves that began this journey with me only myself, and Moose Munch have survived. We quickly cut a hole in the ice wall of Scrubbedcreams, and scurried through it. I left my companions to die, if any still lived with no fewer then four forgotten beasts on the surface. We have made our temporary home in the old kitchens.

Our first order of business is to lay to rest the poor tortured souls that haunt this place. Once that has been accomplished we need food, and drink, as our supplies sit in the wagon, far beyond our reach.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 11:37:38 am »

I will enjoy following this reclaim.
Good luck :)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 11:51:05 am »

Following this. Good luck with all those beasts
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 12:10:51 pm »

I will enjoy following this reclaim.
Good luck :)

Thanks, in terms of tough reclaims this one's up there. It's not quite a Battlefailed, but woof. The fort is a mess, there's a single staircase that goes through two, if not all three cavern levels, there's no farming set up, and little to no food.

I don't see evidence that there ever was any sort of farming, and the Beasts have more or less free reign of the surface.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 12:11:59 pm »

Second, and third attempt have now failed.

The Second was killed by a troll when I breached a cavern to try and find food.

The Third ended up on the roof and got slaughtered by a Beast

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 12:29:04 pm »

Ok, forth attempt has succeeded!

I'll update in character after this but I decided to ignore the existing fort, three of the FBs are now trapped in old Scrubbedcreams, one is on the surface, the forth is nowhere to be found. I've walled myself into the old trade depot, I have food, and drink, and some supplies.

Current dwarf count:2

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 12:45:17 pm »

Journal of S. McDwarf 28 Granite 1060

Whoever thought to found a fort on this blasted frozen waste is a fool.

We, however, are the bigger fools for coming here. At present myself, and my two companions are carving out new quarters in the ice. The old fortress, the one we were sent to reclaim has been abandoned. The stairs down walled over, and the tower above closed off. We have memorialized the dead, and have laid in what provisions we could.

Our first order of business is water.
Our second, food, and farming.
Lastly, is finding some way to allow any migrants unfortunate enough to be send our way to enter the fort.

I have found the notes of the previous overseer, one Iggy McNatz, through the blood spatter I can tell that he had located some sort of kitchen in the depths of the fort. Based on the blood spatter I do not wish to find this kitchen myself.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 01:30:58 pm »

In case you don't know - if you drop ice layer lower the rock layer, leaving ice roof above it - ice thaws. So water is not the real problem.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 01:32:14 pm »

Journal of S. McDwarf 7th Hematite 1060

Scotty's "Never-Errant Timepiece" has chimed the first of Hematite, it's now summer, not that you can tell. Bim and Scotty got into a fight a few weeks back, Scotty didn't make it. It's just the two of us left, trapped in this frozen tomb.

We've managed to carve out some bedrooms, and memorialized, or buried, the dead. We also hit stone, blessed stone. Still no water, or wood, or farming, but if we can trap the last beast on the surface we have a chance at survival. It's a small chance, but it's all we have.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 02:07:18 pm »

Journal of Scrubbedcreams 24th Malachite 1060

It didn't seem to make much sense calling it a journal of such-and-such given that such-and-such seems to end up dead. So, this is now the journal of this place, Scrubbedcreams, this tomb.

Bim and myself continue to bring in what supplies we can, there's enough food, and drink, on the roof alone to keep us both going for years. We've built a kitchen, and still, and have laid in plans to retake the old bedrooms. We've expanded the old trade depot, and the plan is to use it to lure the last beast into a trap, and hold him there. If it works, we can retake the surface. If it fails we will all die and this journal will most likely end up buried under the ice, along with Bim and my corpse of course.

We ask only for a little bit of luck, and we hope the poor kitten that is to be sacrificed has a better time in the next life then he had in this one.

-- Thob "Threetoes" Idatis

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 02:14:15 pm »

Journal of Scrubbedcreams 2nd Galena 1060

Migrants, we commend their souls to the afterlife. Olith is still out there, they don't stand a chance. It seems I spoke, or wrote, too soon. Four of the migrants have found a crack in the wall and slipped into Scrubbedcreams while Olith devoured a woodcutter who was just a little too slow. Our numbers are now 6. Welcome to the deepest layer of hell.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 02:22:44 pm by ignatzami »

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 02:43:58 pm »

Journal of Scrubbedcreams 22nd Galena 1060

Two of the migrants have died, Olith made it through the same crack in the wall, the fight was short, and brutal, but Olith has fallen. The surface, for the moment, is ours. We still have the skeletal Yeti to content with, and we are but 4, but we survive. Scrubbedcreams survives.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28