Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: How to deal with aggressive dogs?  (Read 18120 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to deal with aggressive dogs?
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2011, 09:28:32 am »

I live some of the time in Bali, and there are heaps of stray dogs, often organized in packs, there.
Down the road from my house there are a LOT, especially at night, and while they aren't descended from some gigantic Romanian hunting hounds, they're still pretty nasty, and have been known to attack people.

There are two ways I use to deal with it, make yourself a small target, just walk by and COMPLETELY ignore them, they'll no doubt bark threateningly at you, but will probably decide you're beneath their interest and go back to licking their groins, eating trash and humping.
But if there's a big enough pack, or if they're right in your way and you can't pass them, you need a big stick, plant your feet firmly in a not quite aggressive, but ready pose, and as soon as they show an interest in you, start to raise the stick. If they get close, stamp your foot and shout, and fake-lunge at them.
BUT, I don't know quite how crazy these dogs are, my tactics quite probably wouldn't work.
Spiked, or even simply thickly padded, clothing should work quite well.
I know at a dog shelter I volunteered at, they had these large, thick leather mittens which reach up the forearms.
Romania's pretty cold, right? You could probably justify a pair of *cow leather mittens*. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2011, 11:41:39 am »

Pepper paint ball with a good, compact launcher. Legal and effective. Alarm gun don't work, apparently.
There is also rubber bullet for paint-ball launcher. Or, if everything else fail, get a gun license and a small, .22 calibre handgun.

Anybody can protect himself from a pack of dog these ways.

Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2011, 01:37:50 pm »

Pepper paint ball with a good, compact launcher. Legal and effective. Alarm gun don't work, apparently.
There is also rubber bullet for paint-ball launcher. Or, if everything else fail, get a gun license and a small, .22 calibre handgun.

Anybody can protect himself from a pack of dog these ways.

My biggest concern with this:

1)  Actually actively killing the dogs is apparently not allowed, and will land them in jail or with severe legal issues.

2)  Whatever paintgun derivitive pepper spray device you use had damn well not look anything at all like a real weapon, or the person we are offering advice to might find themselves being shot by police.

After you buy the paint gun, you have to buy the ammo.  You have to buy the air cans or the recharger kits.  You have to deal with complaints from the little old ladies who get pepper mace on themselves after petting the damn muts that attacked you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not discounting your option.  Little old ladies be damned if it comes to a choice between risking being hanstrung and mauled or being responsible for a secondary macing, but what about the upkeep costs and cost per shot on those pepperguns?

To me, with what you are suggesting, the best option would seem to be, since it is nonlethal:  fire a couple rounds immediately on any threat, before the dogs get fully into position.  At the first growl *thwap* *thwap* and watch for reaction.  Don't let them get into  fighting mood before you hit them with the pepper mace.

Costs for peppergun method, per round fired, and initial cost for reasonably effective weapons that look absolutely nothing at all like real weapons?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2011, 03:03:17 pm »

1)  Actually actively killing the dogs is apparently not allowed, and will land them in jail or with severe legal issues

Yep, it is animal cruelty acts.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2011, 01:39:55 am »

If you do get that peppergun thing, aim for the eyes or the head. The dogs will quickly learn not to fuck around.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2011, 04:55:15 am »

http://bullwhips.org/

if it hasnt already been suggested, may i suggest you carry a whip

-they are light

-you can keep it in your bag, so its out of site when your not fighting dogs

-it will hurt the dogs quite abit, but wont kill them

-you will be like Indiana Jones
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2011, 05:13:14 am »

Isn't there some what of a risk of self harm when using whips (Or any chain weaponry for that matter) in a combat situation?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2011, 05:29:06 am »

I'm just going to take this thread to its logical conclusion and advise you wear armor and carry a katana around.
Shoes...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2011, 05:32:30 am »

I'm just going to take this thread to its logical conclusion and advise you wear armor and carry a katana around.

Now that is just silly! There are laws against carrying swords on the street, he should invest in buying a tank instead!

Tanks: For all your self defence needs.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2011, 06:14:19 am »

I say we fold a tank over a million times into the greatest katana known to man; the katanka.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Nospherat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dorfity dorf dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 12, 2011, 06:41:56 am »

I say we fold a tank over a million times into the greatest katana known to man; the katanka.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 12, 2011, 07:57:08 am »

I think I love you.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 12, 2011, 11:39:53 am »

I think I love you.
Nospherat's mine! Stay away from him!
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2011, 04:36:36 pm »

Around where I am you cannot buy truely spiked clothing. or rather... The spikes on spiked clothing wouldn't really hurt anyone.

Not quite sure how I missed this.

If the dog situation is really bad, and you can't effectively, aggressively fight them without worrying about arrest or other legal action then passive defense is the only meaningful choice.

If you are like most of us and have no real idea how to make useful spiked armor, there's a couple ways to go about it.  I would suggest trying to find some people who know how to make armor, and tell them what you want the armor to do, and get their assistance to plan or even build it.  I will assume that there are some midieval warfare re-enactors or SCA persons close enough to talk to face to face, but if not I'm certain there are plenty on the internet.

Taking heavy leather welding gloves and heavy leather high boots, and backing them with rawhide and thin metal sheets to support spikes, then studding with spikes that will injure a dog biting them, but not a human that brushes against you in the street would not be terribly challenging with a bit of guidance from anyone with experience making armor.

If there really is nothing suitable anywhere nearby that you can buy or comission at a reasonable price, it's altogether possible that you might start up a nice little side business that would be attractive both to people with dog issues, and Gothy types that would just like the stuff for being spiked.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9