Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: How to deal with aggressive dogs?  (Read 18157 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: How to deal with aggressive dogs?
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2011, 09:21:49 pm »

Just want to say, it's crazy that you have to deal with this.  Unbelievable.

Also, I'm glad you know better than to be aggressive.  Unless you are actually being hunted as prey, you never want to challenge a dog.  If they spend any time at all around people, they will not attack you unless you show some sign of challenging them or they are simply desparate to eat you. 

If I didn't know this from an early age, my brother would probably be dead.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2011, 09:23:13 pm »

Ohh it isn't even close to as bad as it gets in some places where you can actually wander into a subway brimming with feral dogs.

unless that is where he lives.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2011, 09:33:50 pm »

The trick is to prepare a few 'Smite canine' spells beforehand.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2011, 10:38:27 pm »

Have you ever thought about carrying around doggie biscuits? You mentioned that little old ladies feed these dogs, so I can't imagine too much harm can come if you try the nice route. One or two dog biscuits/treats a night, if it works, work it down to one every other night ect.

Just a thought.
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2011, 11:44:19 pm »

All suggestions of changing your behavior or distractions of any kind are kind of worthless, but I guess some ideas are better than none. If a dog is defending territory it doesn't give a damn what's going on; the only thing it cares about is who and where to lock it's jaws around. The fact that the dogs are forming packs is really a testament to how bad the situation must be. I saw for myself how vicious things can get if a dog is fighting with something, they can even attack their owner in a situation where they would never normally do so.

Pro-tip: when a medium to large dog or multiple dogs are fighting, trying to break them apart with your hands is the one thing you shouldn't do.

As for personal protection, I really wish I could offer something. The biggest can of pepper spray you can find is all I can think of. The pepperballs for an airsoft gun are an interesting idea, and I've seen them before. No idea how they'll work in practice though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2011, 01:54:07 am »

Altering behavior Haschel won't likely turn a losing situation into a winning one.

But if the dog isn't attacking you, it can help you not be attacked.

Though yeah I am aware that wild dogs are worse then wolves.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2011, 02:38:33 am »

From what I've heard, if they're packing up, make yourself look fucking HUGE and make a TON of noise. Approximatly what goes through their heads:

"OH NO! That's so terrifying, it must be the alpha male of our pack, that guy is so cool, let's skedaddle guys!"

Of course, if that doesn;t work, there's always steel toed boots and strong leg muscles.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2011, 02:39:24 am »

Yeah there are different strategies for packs then on single dogs.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2011, 02:40:21 am »

From what I've heard, if they're packing up, make yourself look fucking HUGE and make a TON of noise. Approximatly what goes through their heads:

"OH NO! That's so terrifying, it must be the alpha male of our pack, that guy is so cool, let's skedaddle guys!"

Of course, if that doesn;t work, there's always steel toed boots and strong leg muscles.
That won't work. The dogs will probably think "HEY! That large, hairless dog is threatening us! KILL HIM!" if they are truly agressive.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2011, 03:17:43 am »

That won't work. The dogs will probably think "HEY! That large, hairless dog is threatening us! KILL HIM!" if they are truly agressive.

That's why I mentioned the steel toed boots and strong leg muscles.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2011, 03:46:22 am »

Personally, I can out aggressive any non-trained dog or dogs because I have no fear of them if there are less than three or four, and they can smell it.  I probably couldn't manage more than 4 medium sized dogs because I would start to be concerned, and, again, they will smell it.

Sounds as if you aren't at much risk, but your wife is.

I'd suggest mace and a friggin loud airhorn.

Failing all of that carry a shockstick (the below links are examples, I have no suggestions to make for products)

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&lr=&q=air+horn&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=91777244215129775&sa=X&ei=CBygTYPJEMSCgAeXl_TZBQ&ved=0CEgQ8wIwBA#

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/433931334/Electric_Shock_Stick_BR_09.html

If you wake people up almost every night, in the middle of the night with a massive airhorn blast (and make sure to spray their doors with mace when you spray the dogs) they might start to seriously consider taking care of the dog problem.

If the shock stick worries you, carry a baseball bat or a golf club
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

ComradeLer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2011, 03:50:04 am »

I may have an idea.

If you have an iphone, or any kind of portable speakers, you could put some sounds on there.
Maybe a loop of animals growling/shouting. Chimps, Elephants, Lions, that kind of thing.
When they come near, set volume to full, and blast it! If it doesn't scare them, it may be enough to confuse them.

According to your law, you are allowed to respond in self defense to the same degree you are threatened.
Therefore, if the dogs growl/bark at you, you should be allowed to do the same?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2011, 04:04:57 am »

Try giving the dogs blankets infested with infectious diseases.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2011, 04:26:40 am »

Sorry, I can't resist linking a video about cattle prods.  There are LOTS of videos of people using cattle prods on themselves and others.  Pretty crazy.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlLnjOST-is&NR=1&feature=fvwp

I think a cattle prod might be useful, not sure how portable it would be, or how legal.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2011, 06:53:38 am »

Sing Death Metal songs to them (with Death Metal vocals)

This won't help, I just want to know what would happen if you started to gutterally growl at dogs.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9