Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: How to deal with aggressive dogs?  (Read 18167 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: How to deal with aggressive dogs?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2011, 09:49:04 pm »

The problem with any action on your part is that it doesn't matter. You can be submissive, and be seen as a beta; Cool, they already have enough betas, thank-you-very-much and they don't need another. They attack. You can be aggressive, and be seen as an alpha; Cool, the alpha they have will take exception to this, and the rest of his pack will back him up. They attack. You can run away, and be seen as prey; Cool, they love prey. They attack.

You can fight them aggressively, and win; Cool, your country hates you now. Jail. You can fight them cautiously, and either win or lose; Cool, you could quite easily accidentally kill one of them, or you could not fight quite hard enough and be mauled. Neither of these options end in anything good.

Basically:

Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)

I would suggest moving to the country.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2011, 10:01:02 pm »

Carry a long, blunt object just in case. The dogs will be unlikely to attack you if you remain an unthreatening posture and a distance away.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2011, 10:29:45 pm »

How do the people you work with deal with them? Those that look after them sound like they are fine so could food work?

A friend of the family who migrated to the UK has an uncle back in Jamaica who has a pet pig. Apparently this pig is often attacked by dogs but hasn't been beaten yet.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Nospherat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dorfity dorf dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2011, 01:59:32 am »

How do the people you work with deal with them?
Mostly by not walking around at night. Or driving home.
I can't afford a car at this point, tho.

Other than that, it's stealth, and if that fails, screaming, flailing your hands, throwing rocks... and eventually getting bitten every now and then.
We're all doing that, but I'm getting sick of having to actively fight my way home every time it gets dark.

Those that look after them sound like they are fine so could food work?
During night time, it's mostly territorial attacks so they'll ignore food.

The dogs will be unlikely to attack you if you remain an unthreatening posture and a distance away.
Yup, that works pretty much most of the time. However, I do have to get home, and after about 5 detours, the whole thing gets really old.
I swear man, I'd rather have zombies than dogs. At least they're predictable, and well, if they're around, using deadly force is no longer a problem  :D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 02:01:22 am by Nospherat »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2011, 03:00:52 am »

Cthulhu's advise about being submissive is what I was going to suggest, you might want to try using a slingshot, though?
This slingshot would work.
Don't do that, though. Bad idea. I think the pepper-spray paintball gun is one of the best suggestions I've seen, but removing the source of the problem (the dogs) would help too, if you can swing it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2011, 03:32:11 am »

A well written letter to the counsel. While annoying old women may love their stray dogs, they still present an OH&S hazard, and most local counsels would blow up a full orphanage if somebody said it was an OH&S violation. Remember: The only thing greater then the power of love, is the power of bureaucracy, use it well.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2011, 11:02:00 am »

The problem with any action on your part is that it doesn't matter. You can be submissive, and be seen as a beta; Cool, they already have enough betas, thank-you-very-much and they don't need another. They attack.

wut

Have you considered a bike?  You can get home faster, and therefore safer, and in a pinch it makes a good defense item, since it's big and you can keep it between you and the dog.

Just don't think you can outrun them on a bike.  You probably can't.  So don't try that.
Shoes...

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2011, 12:59:29 pm »

Bikes *are* faster than dogs, but their acceleration is much lower, so chances are they'll catch up before you can get full speed.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2011, 01:09:08 pm »

Bikes *are* faster than dogs, but their acceleration is much lower, so chances are they'll catch up before you can get full speed.

If he starts going full speed before he sees a dog, though, rather than after, he should be okay.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2011, 02:06:33 pm »

You can't really ride at full speed all the time, it'd take godly stamina.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2011, 02:07:56 pm »

You can't really ride at full speed all the time, it'd take godly stamina.
Well... Fear can do a lot to someones stamina. I know.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2011, 02:32:06 pm »

Long blunt object. As an attack sounds practically unavoidable I recommend winning the fight. If you can cause permanent injury to the dog that's one less you have to deal with next time. I like the idea of slingshots too, that could deter them, but I doubt it.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2011, 08:01:44 pm »

If you don't mind looking completely crazy you could wear (or carry around) body armor. Such as a motorcycle helmet, a neck brace, and a breastplate. (also I guess a cup)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2011, 08:23:25 pm »

If you don't mind looking completely crazy you could try joining the wild dogs, living as they live and eating what they eat, then over the time span of several years you rise through their ranks until you are the pack leader, then when you have that authority you tell them all to stop their shit.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2011, 08:34:06 pm »

If you don't mind looking completely crazy you could try joining the wild dogs, living as they live and eating what they eat, then over the time span of several years you rise through their ranks until you are the pack leader, then when you have that authority you tell them all to stop their shit.

Except my idea would actually work. (Edit: Hmm maybe your not parodying my suggestion)

Though I guess if you want to look less crazy... A good thick jacket could protect your body. While leather gloves could help you protect your face and neck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9