Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: How to deal with aggressive dogs?  (Read 18170 times)

Nospherat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dorfity dorf dorf
    • View Profile
Re: How to deal with aggressive dogs?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 09:51:54 am »

Oh, hey, I had no friggin idea about pepper paintballs!
This may just be it!

Thanks! :D

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 03:36:43 pm »

This sounds bizarre, but in the interim I'd carry an umbrella.  Can be used as a baton or as a shield for a couple of seconds if you need to crawl on top of something.  You can also surprise animals by opening it suddenly.

However, that's just an option in lieu of being completely unarmed, obviously.  It's not a long-term solution.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 03:43:04 pm »

Better than nothing but not by much. Pack of dogs are very dangerous, I wouldn't advice a firearm else.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 03:45:02 pm »

Better than nothing but not by much. Pack of dogs are very dangerous, I wouldn't advice a firearm else.

No, certainly.  I was just thinking in terms of readily available household items you don't need licenses for.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 03:58:13 pm »

Elven solution: Contact you local government officals about the dogs and complain them away. Also start a petition and go around getting signitures from your neighbors to have the stray dogs removed and or euthanized.

Dwarven solution: Cleaning pads soaking in bacon grease. Just put them where the dogs will eat them, and they should be dead before you know it.
If they are a risk to human safety take a lethal stance and kill the things, just think of it like they are wolves threatening your dwarves, would you allow that?

I'm not making you do anything just giving you suggestions.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 04:13:11 pm »

I'm not making you do anything just giving you suggestions.
The need for this disclaimer is probably the first sign that it's bad advice.

Anyway, I'm sure this isn't the answer you want to hear, but have you tried loud, aggressive behavior? Animals (including people) tend to assume other animals (also including people) will act according to the situation, which means if you act like you're weak and/or prey, they'll assume you are, in fact, weak and/or prey. If you act like you're strong, they'll assume likewise. This is why the advice for dealing with dangerous wildlife is never just "run away as fast as you can"- it's not just that they're faster than you, it's that running clues them into the fact that they've got you and should give chase.

So on that note, simply puffing yourself out a bit and shouting at them if they get too close (or don't move out of your way) might help more than you think. Eye contact is also challenging, so look them right in the eyes if they seem like they're buying it. Basically, imagine you're a bigger dog, and bark accordingly.

And yes, I realize this advice sounds rather silly, but consider what happens when a human marches straight into a room and starts authoritatively passing out orders- generally speaking, everyone assumes he knows what he's doing or else he'd shut up. Conversely, if someone's confronted and he panics or looks nervous, people tend to assume he's been caught at something. If you assume people are at least as smart and socially savvy as dogs, it would seem to follow that this should work at least a little.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 04:17:59 pm »

The lovely part is that some Breed of dogs are so aggressive and resistant they can litterally walk through pepper sprey to rip you to shreds... and by rip you to shreds I mean hurl you to the ground and choke you to death.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 05:53:20 pm »

You mean dwarven war dogs?

Yes, talking to people about local problems is just horrible internet advice.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 06:11:32 pm »

In warfare, one can gain a massive advantage by gathering enemy defectors and using them against their former comrads.
What I'm saying is that you need to expand the number of dogs you own to a pack-sized level, ensure they recognize you as leader, and the emaciated strays will probably leave you and your pack of well-fed dogs alone.

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 06:23:08 pm »

Or if you can get your hands on one a tazer baton.Since it's a bit longer it should give you enough reach to smack the bastards with some good old electricity.It's non lethal but still powerfull enough to deter atleast a few of them, and i think that after the first few are on the floor twitching and spazzing out from the shock the others should be a bit wary of attacking you.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 08:16:58 pm »

If mauled cover your head, kick them hard, do anything you can to stay standing.

Knife or an aluminum bar in your bag. All this 'non lethal' stuff is bullshit. Smash the hell out of one and the rest will back off.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2011, 08:18:34 pm »

How much of the advice in this thread is remotely good?

In normal situations, I'd recommend a nice .45 ACP or my personal favorite four buck, but if that's not legal, you're going to be stuck with something considerably less reliable. An airhorn is a good way to get a crown of animals to back down, but there's a very large chance that they'd learn to ignore it after awhile. Complain to local gov't/ animal control, probably the only good long term solution.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 08:22:25 pm »

Be really careful about trying to use a knife on any kind of dog, good chance that it'll ignore any wounds long enough to maul you. However, if you're going to try, I had a Sergeant who said that he dealt with a few dogs in Afghanistan the same way, get a knife in a left handed-defensive (like you're going to stab with it) and just angle it up, roughly at chest height. Almost all dogs are going to jump at that area to knock you down, but if you've got your knife in the right spot, where you've got maximum arm strength to keep it off.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 08:31:15 pm »

Don't get loud and aggressive, or they're going to get aggressive in kind.  You won't win that fight.  Take a submissive posture, so they don't perceive you as a threat.  Don't run or anything, just turn slightly away from them, slump shoulders, and don't look them in the eye.

If you put your full weight on a dog's body you'll kill or incapacitate it pretty quickly and it won't really be able to defend itself against that kind of attack.

Umbrella is a good idea, if you poof it out when they're coming at you it'll confuse them.  Add ricin for KGB Special.

Wear loose clothes, they'll grab onto them instead of your flesh.

Don't kick at them unless you're a kickboxer or something, they're faster than you and will just latch onto your leg.

First rule of bay12 advice:  If it's about self-defense or relationships, take bay12 advice with a grain of salt.

Getting loud and brash will work on a domestic dog because it still probably sees you as an alpha, but these dogs sound feral.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 08:34:45 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 08:52:35 pm »

Cthulhu's advise about being submissive is what I was going to suggest, you might want to try using a slingshot, though?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9