Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: How to deal with aggressive dogs?  (Read 18129 times)

Nospherat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dorfity dorf dorf
    • View Profile
Re: How to deal with aggressive dogs?
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2011, 02:57:09 am »

I think I love you.
Nospherat's mine! Stay away from him!

Now now...I think there's enough of me for both of you and a pack of dogs...  :D

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 13, 2011, 03:07:23 am »

Nospherat: He is the one man solution to underpopulation. Get yours today!

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2011, 12:46:59 am »

Remember, a dogs jaw is essentially two thin wedges on a hinge. If you take, say, a metal bar and thrust it in to the dog's mouth sideways when they lunge at you they'll be completely unable to bite. From there you have the upper hand.

As an incredibly more dangerous option, if you shove your hand (actually 1 or 2 fingers) into the very back of the mouth it shouldn't be able to do more than gum you due to not having enough leverage. From there, wrestle your way above the dog, and crush it into submission as previously mentioned. (works best if you aren't exactly petite)

By reading this post, you agree that asking the internet for advice is a generally bad idea, and therefore you will not sue me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2011, 02:59:53 am »

Hmmm... how big or small are you topic creator?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2011, 04:24:53 am »

Remember, a dogs jaw is essentially two thin wedges on a hinge. If you take, say, a metal bar and thrust it in to the dog's mouth sideways when they lunge at you they'll be completely unable to bite. From there you have the upper hand.

As an incredibly more dangerous option, if you shove your hand (actually 1 or 2 fingers) into the very back of the mouth it shouldn't be able to do more than gum you due to not having enough leverage. From there, wrestle your way above the dog, and crush it into submission as previously mentioned. (works best if you aren't exactly petite)

By reading this post, you agree that asking the internet for advice is a generally bad idea, and therefore you will not sue me.

that would work with a single dog, not with a pack

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2011, 04:51:01 am »

Then you must have a pack! Walk down the street with a boom box playing David Bowie. People from all around will rally to your cause if it means they can listen to Ziggy Stardust!

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 14, 2011, 05:00:02 am »

Then you must have a pack! Walk down the street with a boom box playing David Bowie. People from all around will rally to your cause if it means they can listen to Ziggy Stardust!
David Bowie? Play some Slayer! The sheer awesomeness of the music will make the dogs respect you!

Any mutilation, disfigurment or death caused by AoD's post it not intended. Results may vary.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2011, 05:01:33 am »

No, no, you want Bowie. If it will work on goblins, it will work on dogs.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 14, 2011, 05:06:31 am »

Say to every dog that approaches you "You remind me of the babe".  Their confusion will leave them open to being punted into the air.  You are then free to dance magic dance the rest of the way home.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 14, 2011, 05:53:29 am »

No, no, you want Bowie. If it will work on goblins, it will work on dogs.

+1 I got it. also, the most evident sock enhancement ever seen.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 14, 2011, 07:32:18 pm »

Gearskull1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2011, 10:44:28 pm »

I lived in hati for awhile, and they have a massive problem there with packs of strays. People get attacked all the time, the first week I was there I asked me friend john who has lived there his whole life what to do if i was attacked. He looked at me seriously and said "Grab a rock and face them down yelling" I laughed at him, but he was serious. Buy a leather coat and carry some sort of weapon and charge those fuckers down. I got stalked by packs as I went back to where I was staying pretty often, and I found that throwing rocks at the lead dog and shouting at them worked okay. Aim for the nose.

Good luck!

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2011, 06:03:14 am »

I'm pretty sure I said this once, but I'll say it again.

Carry around a long, blunt object like a baseball bat. You'll need it.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 17, 2011, 04:37:41 pm »

I can't really say much more than what has already been said by others but I suppose I'll give my advice anyways.

Carry something blunt yet compact, I would probably take a Nightstick of sufficient thickness, hollow it out, and weight it with some lead. Probably not practical for your wife but I'm sure you could de-brain a dog with it just as well as I could.

I would get some bear pepper spray, never used it personally, but from what I've heard it is potent stuff. I'm betting it runs out real quick though so I would use regular pepper spray first, and save the bear spray in case it fails to work or runs out. http://www.udap.com/ <- A company that sells some, just looked it up as an example.

I'd wear a baggy coat so I could unzip it and use it to increase my profile. If I'm right, it would make you look much larger then normal to the dog. Combine that with a cautious retreat and it could save you from some pain.

Getting a buddy to walk with would be something I would try, having your buddy equiped with the above would make you both quite safe.

Acting confident while still being non-aggressive and avoidant would probably help a bit. You wouldn't be acting like prey and hopefully they wouldn't consider you as much a threat to their territory due to your aloof and passive nature. Keep in mind that from the dogs perspective your an invader in "their territory", this probably lowers the usual effectiveness on non lethal deterents. So I would say prevention would be the best solution if at all possible. Though from what you said it isn't really a choice.

Thats about all the useful advice I can think off atm, I agree with most the other suggestions in the thread also. Especially the spiked leather idea.

As for what I would REALLY do in your situation though, I would kill the dogs despite the law. Especially when loved ones are at risk...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 08:23:39 pm by Grimshot »
My personality profile.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 17, 2011, 07:47:01 pm »

Be really careful with heavy duty pepper spray.  If you're downwind it'll get you too and if some of the dogs aren't incapacitated by it you're going to be in a lot of trouble.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]