Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: Dwarf Trade Alliance (Co-op Fortress)  (Read 23141 times)

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Trade Alliance (Co-op Fortress)
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2011, 06:38:36 am »

1 Granite, 13

Well, we just got the report from the rest of the alliance, and the news is almost devastating. While we have managed to bring this fort nearly on par with the others, one has decided to stall in its growth, excessively. Yet another, we have lost all contact with. The alliance is working on a way to fix the situation, but it will take time. Honestly, I did not at all expect one of the forts to fall so soon.

Needless to say, with farming and the acquisition of metal bars now impossible, we are looking at very tough times ahead.

I have ordered the fields to lay fallow. Anything that is currently growing will be harvested, but after that, they will remain unused until more farming supplies can be brought in. In return, all the field farmers now carry fishing rods. The metal industry that had been started is now completely floundered as well. We can still make glass, so that is a relief.

Nevermind goals. The real goal right now is simply surviving the years to come, and praying that another fort does not fall in these dark times.

6 Slate

Well, this is looking to be boring. With many of our major industries locked down, about half of the dwarves have nothing to do but idle with the mist generator. Work on Bee tower, as I like to call it, is proceeding. Even though we have a surplus of food and drink that will help us outlast the coming trouble, having more sources of food can only be a good thing.

9 Felcite

And now yet again, we have a mandate for Sterling silver. I only hope that our supply of it does not run out (As losing mandates cause the item in question can not be made is just lame, and not really my fault)

15 Felcite

Our sixth artifact has been completed. It is a badger leather quiver, worth just over 60000

End of season

Wealth 643076

The vast majority of that growth is the new artifact. Don't expect much higher growth then 50k a season from me
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 07:08:40 am by RTiger »

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2011, 06:41:25 am »

to avoid a death spiral like this in the future perhaps next game let dorfs be able to trade for restricted items just not make them?

Dealing with absolutely crushing restrictions is the entire point of this game. Think of it as a challenge mode.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 25, 2011, 08:15:53 am »

24 Malachite

Sooo Bored...

There really has not been all that much to do in all honesty. The recent restrictions have pretty much slowed the forts economy to a crawl. The smelters have gone long cold by now, shutting off the primary industry that we have. Outside of our vast mineral wealth, we do not have very much. In addition, this area is goblin free. Thank goodness for that also.

Outside of that, the only real project of current interest is bee tower. The miners continue to dig the exploratory shafts, looking for new veins of gold. Not that it is much good with all the smelter fuel supply destroyed with Salverope.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 25, 2011, 10:30:00 am »

to avoid a death spiral like this in the future perhaps next game let dorfs be able to trade for restricted items just not make them?

Dealing with absolutely crushing restrictions is the entire point of this game. Think of it as a challenge mode.
The IC explanation for the restrictions is that your trading partners spored up and now you have no supply of the stuff, so allowing trade for the items doesn't make a lot of sense anyway.

Unless it's restricted to non-dwarven caravans.

(i am trying to put together a mod-friendly version of the trade fort game, so i've been thinking about this stuff for a while. by which i mean about an hour.)
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #124 on: April 25, 2011, 01:54:05 pm »

Umm...so that goal of 150k growth per season?  Not happening.

Looks like I'm averaging around 20-30k per season.

Currently finishing up Autumn now.  Will probably get my updates done by Wed.

Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 25, 2011, 02:04:13 pm »

The IC explanation for the restrictions is that your trading partners spored up and now you have no supply of the stuff, so allowing trade for the items doesn't make a lot of sense anyway.

Unless it's restricted to non-dwarven caravans.

(i am trying to put together a mod-friendly version of the trade fort game, so i've been thinking about this stuff for a while. by which i mean about an hour.)

I think the only really fair way to do the restrictions is to weigh each item in importance to the overall survivability/goals of the fortress.  Plants and Bars for example will have a greater impact on fortress survival than Decorations and Engravings.

Group things similar to Maslow's hierarchy of needs, with food and security at the topmost levels, and convenience and luxury items at the bottom.

Of course, if the goals of the fortresses were something other than survival (most wealth or planned megaproject for example) then items must be weighted against reaching those goals.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 02:06:34 pm by cdrcjsn »
Check out my comic!

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 25, 2011, 02:26:11 pm »

Wait why are you all getting my restrictions? And why are you dividing numbers? I thought this was based on total fortress wealth...uhoh....

Economic:  Economic rules are based on the rate of economic growth season per season. A difference of growth between fortresses of 25% or more will begin to enact wave 1 restrictions, and increasing every 25%

whoops

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2011, 02:42:30 pm »

Yeah. Already working on rule edits for next game. But as I said in the beginning. This is a game of !!SCIENCE!!. Next game, I will try to prevent more gamebreaker possibilities.

EDIT:

Players choose one from each main item group.

These restrictions come in waves based upon how badly things are going for that player.
Wave 1: Three item types.
Wave 2: Main item group A, Five item types
Wave 3: Both Main item group, Seven item types, Behavior Restriction Activated

Main Item Group A

* Animals
    * Blocks
    * Finished Goods
    * Furniture
    * Gems & Decorations
    * Leather
    * Stone
    * Wood
    * Cloth

Main item Group B

* Meat
    * Fish
    * Plants & Seeds
    * Booze
    * Weapons
    * Bars
    * Armor
    * Ammo

The items in group A are not so important, while item group B can easily turn into a crippling gamebreaker when more then one gets restricted.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 02:49:20 pm by RTiger »

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2011, 03:19:33 pm »

Our little group now numbers 41 people.  I do find it strange though that the last two seasons only brought in one migrant each...

Damn only 2 migrants the whole year even though you're the wealthiest fort. Have you been giving the dwarven caravan a bad profit?
I have no clue what's going on.  I actually was looking forward for more migrants to finally build a decent militia.

What did you do with your food?  You dumped it?  Your fort value dropped by a couple hundred thousand in one season!?!

The migrants you get depends on how much profit the dwarven caravan leaves with I think. As for all my food, I gave it away to the caravan, thinking I can get wood if my wealth was closer to RTiger's wealth. Wrong idea but still worked heh.

This situation is making me think of revising the rules, as a few of the item groups being banned perm is just too much. Namely, stone and plants. What do you guys say to enacting a 3 year ban for a fallen fort?

Nah, I say lets deal with this. We can still get booze from honey. As for food, no one has touched honey, milk, and cheese so we can live off that if necessary. You might want to change "Booze" to "Booze and Barrels" next time though. Choosing Plants and Seeds as a main item group and barrels as an item type pretty much = Booze cuz you can't trade for it either. Stone, I don't know, what's wrong with not being able to make things out of stone? You can still have glass, wood, and metals.

Oh and by traps i mean regular b-T traps

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2011, 03:21:27 pm »

I don't think there's any need to separate the item groups yet. We can still survive this.

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2011, 06:22:01 pm »

I don't think there's any need to separate the item groups yet. We can still survive this.

Ditto.  I'm fine with living with the current restrictions.

My 24 new immigrants without beds don't like it, but I don't mind.  I'm really feeling the hurt of the lack of mechanisms however.  I thought a stockpile of 20 was enough from last winter.  It wasn't.
Check out my comic!

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 25, 2011, 07:26:02 pm »

These rules are more for next game then this game. This games rules won't change.

As for me, I have no problems at all with the current restrictions. 4000 food will last a while with only 60 dwarves.

Bars restricted cans my economy, but my fort does not have to deal with invasions.

As for the perm fort loss restriction, it deserves rethought, under the current system. If frozenamuses falls, and we keep the restriction for a fallen fort at perm,  the game is over, as all food production will be canned. Even though this game is all about dealing with utterly crippling situations, there is a point where crippling becomes gamebreaker.

With the new rules I am setting up, I am making it so that won't happen until at least three forts fall.

As an additional, I am thinking about having the human and elven caravans free from the trade restrictions. You do have a point, as they are not dwarves, and some goods are just human or elven only. IT also offers a small amount of survival possibility when the trade restrictions reach gamebreaker status.

For now, I am looking for a way to stall my economy for the rest of the year.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 08:08:33 pm by RTiger »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2011, 04:48:35 am »

I am thinking to look into the rules, see whats what again. Maybe look into starting another Thread for this challenge or something...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 26, 2011, 06:17:53 am »

End of season

Wealth: 599567

Not much happened this season. A child got in a mood, so I killed him. This fort can't afford to make another artifact right now.

Bee tower has been completed and holds 48 hives.

Yes, my wealth went down
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 06:35:26 am by RTiger »

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2011, 06:19:00 am »

I am thinking to look into the rules, see whats what again. Maybe look into starting another Thread for this challenge or something...

If you like, I can open another thread.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15