Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: Dwarf Trade Alliance (Co-op Fortress)  (Read 23125 times)

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Trade Alliance (Co-op Fortress)
« Reply #165 on: May 02, 2011, 05:58:21 pm »

I'd interpret it the opposite way, myself. But I'm not the one running this game.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 02, 2011, 06:02:27 pm »

It brings up the argument of how to handle an item that fits in more then one catagory.

Anyway, you have about 5 more hours to get your report up BBF. I don't want to continue to delay the game past deadline much longer.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 02, 2011, 06:07:04 pm »

At this FPS rate I might not be able to finish before the technical end of Monday. I've mostly been letting the fort run itself for the past few hours and I'm still in summer. (Late summer, admittedly; 19th Galena to be exact, but that's still wayy slower than usual.)

Well, I'll keep going until the year ends, regardless of when that is.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 02, 2011, 06:17:35 pm »

1st Hematite
It occurs to me that, with bars unavailable, no wood on a glacier, and bone bolts specifically not happening, we have no reliable source of ammo for our marksdwarves.

... I can't think of anything to do about that, though.

2nd Hematite

I'm thinking of putting trenches on either side of our entrance. Invaders might fall into it and have to go all the way back to the front.

Only particularly stupid invaders, to be sure, but those tend to be the big tough ones that might not be taken down by a single run through our trap hall.

11th Hematite
Ooh, how about a grinder? Pressure plates, hatches, holes in the ground... easy to make, and completely inescapable. Assuming they can't fly...

(( And here I just realized that mechanisms were restricted and I hadn't told my guy to stop making them. I don't know how many he made, so I arbitrarily forbid 30. ))

17th Hematite
Mandate over. Like I cared in the first place.

19th Hematite
Oh, right, we can't plant traps this year. Later, then.

1st Malachite
I just realized, not for the first time, that a restriction on bars means no burning wood for ash or coal. Not that it matters, the only reason to use those is to make soap (also a bar, and specifically restricted anyway), potash and pearlash (bars), and steel (a bar!). Bars bars bars, we can't do anything with Salverope down.

4th Malachite
migrants blah whatever

16th Malachite
Do pressure plates count as traps?

Hm. To be safe, I ordered their construction to be put on hold until we can get word from the DFTA.

(( So, do they? They're in the b-T menu, but they're more like communications devices than any kind of defensive system. In fact, the goblin grinder is the only military application I can even think of for a pressure plate... ))

18th Malachite
So the mayor's banned the export of large gems. Also he has no stuff? Oh, it's a new mayor. Bloody elections. Can't I just say "this room is for the current mayor, whosoever he may be, and quit bugging me every election season"? Of course not, that'd be too easy.

13th Galena
Boring. Boring boring boring.

You! Chop down some trees in the caverns! ... Logs aren't restricted, right? ... No, just everything they can be used for. Guess we're stocking up or something then?

17th Galena
Human caravans are here. Don't think they have anything I want and also am allowed to buy.

21st Galena
May as well check, though.

Nope, nothing.

Autumn has come.

1st Limestone
Whole lotta nothing. These restrictions are stifling everything we do.

End-of-season report
Wealth: 1227940☼ created, 141806☼ imported, 31723☼ exported
Orders: 1 trade ban in place.
Trading: 1 caravan arrived this season.

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #169 on: May 02, 2011, 06:30:43 pm »

Don't know about pressure plates. 

My opinion is that only actual traps counted for the behavior restriction, that levers and other stuff were okay.
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 02, 2011, 06:59:55 pm »

On my end, Monday is over in 4 hours.

At least get the fall report up, I don't think you would enjoy having meat/fish restricted as well as plants.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 02, 2011, 07:52:15 pm »

27th Limestone
After a month of nothing, a planter has been possessed by forces unknown.

... I almost want to just let him go nuts and die. He won't learn anything from this, and I know he'll only make some useless trinket.

1st Sandstone
But he grabbed all his materials and got to work, so whatever.

2nd Sandstone
Oh, and apparently, Project Honey has stalled because I couldn't be bothered to plot out every magma reservoir back when I decided to do this. Fine, fine... And since the first chamber is done, we can get started on the pumping.

How many levels do I need to designate, anyway?

... Ugh. This is gonna take forever.

4th Sandstone

... Right.

5th Sandstone
Migrants arrive to distract me from the pointless artifact. They fail.

24th Sandstone
We've found some platinum. That'll be valuable... once the restriction on bars is lifted, that is. We'll shove it in one of the old tetrahedrite veins in the meantime.

3rd Timber
I am continually appalled by our miners' complete lack of regard for their own safety. Always leave a path back to the surface!

19th Timber
The DFTA liaison and caravan have arrived.

22nd Timber
Oh! He offered to make us an official land of the realm.

I didn't know who to elevate, though, so I asked him to come back next year for my recommendation.

Winter is upon you.

1st Moonstone
That was probably the single most interesting thing that'll happen all year.

End-of-season report
Wealth: 1228866☼ created, 161904☼ imported, 31763☼ exported
Trading: 1 caravan arrived this season.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 02, 2011, 10:23:53 pm »

11th Moonstone
We've finally started pumping, and it occurs to me that we'll likely lose some magma at each level. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the physics behind it, so I can't calculate the numbers, and there's no way to know if even a drop will make it to the surface.

(( Blahhhhh. I'm actually tempted to use dfliquids to melt some ice directly, just to make sure this isn't a colossal waste of time and energy. ))

24th Moonstone
Well, spore. I've only pumped it up one level and it looks like the losses amount to 1/7th the magma each level, and that's if we pump as thoroughly as possible!

Project Honey is a waste of dwarfpower. The only way magma is getting to the surface is through a standard pump stack, which would require magma-safe corkscrews, pipe sections, and blocks for each and every level. We don't sporing have that, and with no metal coming in, we never will.

Sporing figures, doesn't it? As soon as we get self-sufficient enough to flip the bird to Her Royal Bitchness who exiled us here and cut off ties all official-like, the other forts we rely on go to the circus in a +troll fur bag+ and we're doomed to go with them.

Gahhhhhhhh... I'm being a bit melodramatic, here. It's only booze we're shot of.

Heh. "Only" booze. Never thought I'd be in a situation where I could say that.

I guess maybe if we find some nether-caps, we could build a pump stack out of those.

1st Opal
I asked if there was a dendrologist in the fort, and one dwarf stepped forward. Apparently nether-caps grow in the third cavern layer, have a dark blue color, and are shaped approximately like spades. I've seen no trees matching that description.

Damn it.

3rd Opal
We have 195 drinks and are officially out of brewable plants.

13th Opal
Ban's over.

16th Opal
New ban. No exporting rose gold. Rose gold? We don't even have that stuff.

25th Opal
So I was faffing about with a screw pump in the caverns, and a baby fell in. But he didn't drown, despite his clear lack of any swimming ability whatsoever. The water came just up to his chin.

So I'm instituting a mandatory swimming program for all dwarves.

26th Opal
The baby now refuses to exit the water. I don't get it. But as long as he doesn't starve or something, I don't care.

7th Obsidian
Well, the baby's out. I had to drain the pond to chest level to get him to move. I don't get it.

13th Obsidian

In case anyone was wondering what I meant by "faffing about with a screw pump". I was told it was an easy phrase to misinterpret.

28th Obsidian
A clothier is taken by a mood.

Let's see where this goes.

Spring has arrived!

1st Granite, 205
Spring is here and we're basically out of booze, with no means to obtain more. Okay we've got 9 left but that'll last what, a day?

If only Salverope hadn't fallen...

End-of-year report
Wealth: 1239249☼ created, 160433☼ imported, 55543☼ exported
Trading: No caravans arrived this season.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 03, 2011, 12:19:25 am »

Bees will never show in a freezing climate. your wasting time really.

Looking over the years numbers, this is going to be FUN for one of us
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:25:43 am by RTiger »

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 03, 2011, 12:43:39 am »

Dwarven Trade alliance: Year 4 official report

RT 540337/727491 = 187154

JD 708891/1,280,036 = 571145 3 RT 3 BBF 2 CDJ

CDJ 1349080/1,693,744 = 344664 3 RT 2 BBF

BBF 1028327/1239249 = 210922

Salverope is free to reclaim and try again.

Restrictions for the coming year:

RT/BBF - Main: Plants and Seeds, Bars

Item Types: Lavish Meals, Eggs, Chairs, Tables, Beds, Barrels, Picks

Restriction: No constructions, buildings, or anything of any importance may be placed on outdoor tiles. Only farms and food stockpiles may be placed on soil tiles

CDJ - Main: Plants and Seeds, Bars, Booze, Wood, Fish

Item Types: Lavish Meals, Eggs, Chairs, Tables, Beds, Barrels, Picks, Hematite, Plump helmets, Coffers, Bone Bolts, Swords, Catmeat, Pig tail Cloth, Ice constructions, adamantine, raw glass, biscuits (easy meals), tallow.

Silver, Mugs, Turkey Meat, Cloaks, Ash

Restriction: No constructions, buildings, or anything of any importance may be placed on outdoor tiles. Only farms and food stockpiles may be placed on soil tiles, Restriction: Glassmaking forbidden.

JD - I Kinda feel bad for you.

Main: Plants and Seeds, Bars, Booze, Wood, Fish, Meat, Furniture

Item Types: Lavish Meals, Eggs, Chairs, Tables, Beds, Barrels, Picks, Hematite, Plump helmets, Coffers, Bone Bolts, Swords, Catmeat, Pig tail Cloth, Silver, Mugs, Turkey Meat, Cloaks, Ash, Wood Bolts, Shields, Wood Bolts, Shields, Mugs, Turkey Meat, Ash, Ice constructions, electrum, metal blocks, adamantine, raw glass, biscuits (easy meals), tallow.

Restriction: No constructions, buildings, or anything of any importance may be placed on outdoor tiles. Only farms and food stockpiles may be placed on soil tiles,
Restriction: Glassmaking forbidden,
Restriction:  No helping moody dwarves.

Again, Salverope is free to reclaim.

Begin Year 5

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 03, 2011, 01:28:47 am »

For the love or Domas, can someone please reclaim Salverope?  I know there's a few readers out there that want to jump in on this.

I miss my farms and metal bars...
Check out my comic!

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 03, 2011, 03:08:18 am »

No kidding, My fort is all about metal.

I feel kinda bad for JohnnyDigs. He has nearly level 3 across the board.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 03, 2011, 10:04:15 am »

For reference, if someone were to reclaim Salverope this turn, what restrictions would they have to work under?

And what was the official decision about trading for booze under a barrel restriction? Barrels for barrels, or booze is booze?

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 03, 2011, 11:03:10 am »

I will go with booze is booze, if you trade barrel for barrel under barrel restriction. I don't think Qloos thought of the situation where an item can fall under more then one restriction.

As for Salverope, they get economic immunity as per a new fort. The reclaim gets a wave 1 restriction across the board, 15 items, which stacks with any other applicable restrictions. The reclaim would need to stay up for three years to erase this restriction.

Other forts get returning gains per year, and can not get further restrictions from Salverope unless the applicable restriction is greater then the declining wave.

Does this sound reasonable?

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 03, 2011, 01:00:58 pm »

So a new Salverope would only have to deal with the 15 specific item restrictions from the others, not the main item groups or behavior restrictions for its first year?

Sounds good to me.
Check out my comic!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15